Thursday, November 10, 2011

A Second Brown Bag Luncheon

I know I just gave you a booklist last month from a brown bag luncheon. But, that was the quarterly luncheon for the staff. This time, I'm featuring the books I talked about this week with my library patrons.  Usually, the booklists are about the same, but the staff checked out so many of the other books, that I had to start a new list. And, this one includes a few Christmas titles that you won't see reviewed here until December. I've already read them, but those reviews are ready to go while I'm home in Ohio.  So, here's a new list, and a sneak peek at some Christmas books.

Wanda E. Brunstetter’s Amish Friends Cookbook (Desserts). More than 125 dessert recipes from Amish Country.

The Christmas Shoppe – Melody Carlson. When Matilda Honeycutt opens a shop on Parrish Springs’ main street, it tears the town apart.

India Black and the Widow of Windsor – Carol K. Carr.  India Black goes undercover to Balmoral at Christmas to look for Scottish nationalists planning to assassinate Queen Victoria.

Best Staged Plans – Claire Cook. A professional home stager goes through a mid-life crisis and takes a job in Atlanta, letting her husband and son prepare their house for sale.

Scotched – Kaitlyn Dunnett.  Murder and humor at a cozy mystery convention in Maine.

A Voice in the Box: My Life in Radio - Bob Edwards. Memoir by the long-time NPR broadcaster, who moved on to Sirius XM Satellite.

The Lady of the Rivers – Philippa Gregory. Historical fiction account of the life of Jacquetta, Duchess of Bedford, a woman who navigated the Wars of the Roses.

Coming Up for Air - Patti Callahan Henry.  Ellie Calvin takes a break from her dying marriage to learn the secrets of one year of her late mother’s life, the year she was involved in the civil rights movement.

The House of Silk – Anthony Horowitz. The first Sherlock Holmes novel authorized by the Conan Doyle estate.

Death by the Dozen – Jenn McKinlay. It’s a food challenge at the Scottsdale Food Festival, and Melanie Cooper & Angie DeLaura, owners of Fairy Tale Cupcakes, are determined to win, until Mel’s mentor, one of the judges, is put on ice.

The Nine Lives of Christmas – Sheila Roberts. A cat makes a bargain to save his ninth life, and now feels he must do something for the fireman who saved him.

Four Kitchens: My Life Behind the Burner in New York, Hanoi, Tel Aviv, and Paris by Lauren Shockey. A year of unpaid internships as Shockey learns about kitchen life in the restaurant business.

So West, So Wild – Desert Sleuths Chapter Sisters in Crime. A collection of mystery short stories set in the southwest.

Hometown Girl – Mariah Stewart. Brooke Madison Bowers returns home to St. Dennis, Maryland, with her son, after her husband’s death in Iraq.

The Orchard – Theresa Weir. Memoir of Weir’s life and marriage to a man married to his family’s apple orchard.

The Christmas Singing – Cindy Woodsmall. An Amish couple who broke their engagement are thrown back together when circumstances brings the young woman back to Pennsylvania.


Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Sounds like a wonderful selection of books,Lesa!

Whenever I need to load my e-reader with books, or want to make requests at the library, I go back and look at your posts! I've found so many great books here.

Liz said...

Truly, I thought I read a lot, but more TBRs.

Lesa said...

Elizabeth, That's such a great compliment. Thank you!

Lesa said...

Glad I could help build that TBR pile, Liz.

Karen C said...

Yay!! I've already read two books on the list (Coming up for Air and Hometown Girl) So, that's two less for the TBR list!!

Lesa said...

Oh, that's funny, Karen, celebrating the fact that you don't have to add a couple titles to the TBR list.

Teela said...

Lesa, I don't have an ereader (except Adobe on my laptop),so of course my first choice for reading is a print book, but I would LOVE to read any (or all :-) of these Christmas stories!! You are the best! Introducing us to new books and authors and keeping us in the loop. Thank you so much. You must be incredibly busy! Blessings this Holiday Seasn ~ teelayoung at hotmail dot com

Ingrid King said...

I read The Christmas Shop last year and really enjoyed it. I just bought The Nine Lives of Christmas, but I'll save this to read closer to Christmas. I may keep it on my coffee table as a Christmas decoration until then, though - the cover is so beautiful!