Friday, November 04, 2011

Scotched by Kaitlyn Dunnett

Here’s a warning for my youngest sister. If you decide to read Kaitlyn Dunnett’s Liss MacCrimmon Scottish mystery series, start with the first book, Kilt Dead. You’ll spoil the series for yourself by reading the one I did, Scotched, the fifth book. I was just fine with it, but my sister is even worse than I am in insisting in reading a series in order.

It was the cover of this mystery that grabbed me. How could I resist a book with two cats and a pile of books featuring some of my favorite authors, Ellery Queen, Nero Wolfe? Dunnett’s latest book is set in Moosetookalook, Maine, site of the First Annual Maine-ly Cozy Con for fans of cozy mysteries. Liss MacCrimmon’s Scottish Emporium was one of the shops with a booth at the conference in The Spruces, the local lodge. So, Liss was on the scene when a blogger, J. Nedlinger, confronted people.

Officer Sherri Campbell at the police department met Nedlinger first, though, and she had a feeling the woman was trouble. She was there to dig up dirt on the town. Three murders in two years in a town of less than one thousand people seemed a bit much. Then when Nedlinger introduced herself to Liss, she insinuated that Liss was a magnet that attracted all the trouble. After learning Nedlinger had a popular blog, it was obvious this could be trouble for the town and the small business owners. An emergency meeting brought no solutions. But, when the blogger’s body is found at the bottom of a cliff the next day, it seems the town’s trouble ended in an accident.

That accident just seemed a bit too convenient for Liss, though. Liss MacCrimmon had a history of not leaving well enough alone. When a second death occurred at the same spot, she pushed her former boyfriend, a state police detective, to continue the investigation. And, if that wouldn’t work, she’d ask a few questions, even if it meant attracting the attention of a killer.

Liss MacCrimmon comes across as another nosy amateur sleuth who makes wild guesses, and ends up facing a killer she didn’t expect to see. Even so, Scotched is a fun romp for anyone who enjoys traditional mysteries. It’s fun to recognize the names of actual mystery writers, participants in the First Annual Maine-ly Cozy Con. And, Dunnett populates the story with a terrific cast of characters. She also pokes fun at the small town problem with cozy mysteries. The residents of Moosetookalook all realize their town could become a second Cabot Cove.

If you want a cozy mystery with a Scottish accent, a sense of humor, and this time, the addition of a fun mystery convention, try Kaitlyn Dunnett’s Scotched.

Kaitlyn Dunnett’s website is

Scotched by Kaitlyn Dunnett. Kensington Books. ©2011. ISBN 9780758238818 (hardcover), 265p.

FTC Full Disclosure – Library Book


Harvee said...

Oh, oh! I knew sooner or later a blogger would end up being the victim in a mystery novel! haaven't heard of the series, but it's on my wish list.

Liz V. said...

Have had Kaitlyn Dunnett in mind since bookmarking her blog some time ago. Thanks for the reminder and caution to start with first.

Lesa said...

Now, Harvee. Is it on your wish list because a blogger was the victim, or because the book sounds good?

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Liz. I was fine with starting with this book, but I know many, including my sister, will want to start at the beginning.

Carol N Wong said...

May goodness! This sounds like a great series, I searched and found the first one. That is "Kilt Dead'. Is this the first time a blogger has been a victim in a cozy series????


Karen C said...

Sounds like fun, but I'm one of those people that want to read a series in order and I can't start another series - it will just have to go on the back burner.

Lesa said...

Honestly, Carol? I don't know if it's the first time a blogger was the victim in a cozy series. I have to say, this blogger deserved it. (grin) I hope you enjoy the series.

Lesa said...

I understand, Karen. Sometimes, there are too many books and series on that TBR pile.

Ingrid King said...

What a great cover! I'll have to check this one out.

Kris said...

This one sounds good! of course I'll have to start with book 1 though. I like the idea of a cozy mystery convention and that a blogger is involved, how fun.

Anonymous said...

This series is great, but I agree that you should start with the first one. I discovered these wonderful books when I picked up the 3rd book at the public library. I didn't realize it was a series until I had finished it. I've since read the first two, but will try to read the 4th one before I read Scotched.
The cover does look awesome .
Happy reading!