Thursday, November 17, 2011

Magical Alienation by Kris Neri

I know this sounds so implausible – fake psychics, Celtic gods and goddesses, militia,  rock stars and aliens from Area 51. But, somehow, Kris Neri makes it work perfectly in her second Samantha Brennan and Annabelle Haggerty Magical Mystery, Magical Alienation.

Samantha Brennan doesn’t understand why aging rock star Rand Riker picked her to accompany him to Arizona, but the fake psychic who wants to be a celebrity and spiritual advisor to the stars is happy to travel in style on a private plane. She isn’t as happy with her client, who is performing at a benefit concert for the most hated man in Arizona, a militia member who sent vials of poison to senators, killing the aide of a senator from Arizona. Samantha might be a fake psychic, but she knows something is wrong in Arizona when a mountain winks at her, and a cat appears at the Phoenix courthouse to take her to the cafeteria. It’s there that she runs into Annabelle Haggerty, a Celtic goddess who works as an FBI agent.

Neither Annabelle nor Samantha are happy to see each other, but they are dependant on each other. Annabelle’s powers are being sapped, and she needs Samantha to channel her thoughts. It just isn’t working, even when they go to Sedona on the eve of a harmonic convergence. There seems to be a power shift in the universe, and, right now, the militia have all the power. In rescuing the militia member on trial, they killed innocent victims, kidnapped others, and hijacked a military convoy. What they didn’t realize is that they captured a being from Area 51, an alien who had been held by the military for years.

If you’re overwhelmed by the summary, imagine how Samantha and Annabelle feel! They arrived in Sedona, where they ended up at Annabelle’s mother’s house. Fiona was a full-blooded goddess, not just half, like her daughter. But, Fiona has secrets, and knows some of the problems that are happening in Sedona. As the militia bargain for power and the FBI and military plan to rescue the alien and hostages, Annabelle and Samantha deal with problems with gods, and powers that will gain unusual strength during the harmonic convergence.

You do have to suspend disbelief to appreciate this novel, but it’s easy to do. Neri sucks readers into Samantha Brennan’s world. And, the author, who lives in Sedona, does a wonderful job in describing the area and its beauty and attraction for so many people. In this book, it becomes the center of the universe for nuts of all types, from aliens to gods to militia to false psychics. Magical Alienation is a treat for any readers who appreciate fantasy laced with mystery and humor.

Kris Neri’s website is

Magical Alienation by Kris Neri. Red Coyote Press. ©2011. ISBN 9780976673316 (paperback), 240p.

FTC Full Disclosure – The author had a copy sent to me, hoping I would review it.


Joe Barone said...

This sounds interesting. Also, I thought Louise's War sounded like one I might read too. Thanks.

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Joe. Thanks for your comments. Hadn't heard from you in a while.

Beth Hoffman said...

Lesa, you made me laugh out loud when you wrote. "I know this sounds so implausible – fake psychics, Celtic gods and goddesses, militia, rock stars and aliens from Area 51..."

I have to say that this book sounds fascinating. I like books where I have to suspend disbelief, they're a nice getaway on a cold night.

Terrific review!

Lesa said...

This one is fun, Beth. I hope you get the chance to read it. And, I'm glad I made you laugh this morning.

Hugs, my friend, from me and the cats.

Karen C said...

Sounds like a wild ride to me! I was in Sedona a couple of years ago and while I hated the road we took to get there, it is a beautiful place. Gonna have to think about this one!! :O)

Lesa said...

That's what I thought when I read the first book in the series, Karen, but Samantha hooked me.

Ingrid King said...

Wow - this sounds just crazy enough to be fun. I'm adding this to my list!

Lesa said...

It is fun, Ingrid. I think you'll get some laughs from it.