Tuesday, November 01, 2011

December Treasures in My Closet

The publishers know people don’t have as much time to read in December, so there are seldom many December releases in my closet. I will share the few books there, including one by a favorite author.

Michael Adelberg’s A Thinking Man’s Bully is the story of one man’s crisis and discovery. When Matt Duffy’s son, Jack, a high school bully, attempts suicide, Matt’s wife urges him to see a psychiatrist to confront his own past. Along the way, Matt discovers the link to his own teen years, and his son’s.

Endangered launches Pamela Beason’s new series. Summer “Sam” Westin is a wildlife biologist and writer. Her dream of saving cougars is complicated by a boy’s disappearance in a Utah campground. It’s up to her and an FBI agent to save the boy, and the cougars.

Dr. Siri, Laos’ national coroner is pushing eighty, and wants to retire. But, once again, in Colin Cotterill’s Slash and Burn, he’s dragged into a case, this time the excavation for the remains of a U.S. fighter pilot who went down in a jungle ten years earlier. One member of the search party is found dead, though, and bodies start to pile up. It’s up to Dr. Siri to get to the bottom of the story.

Leighton Gage is one of my favorite authors, and I always look forward to his Chief Inspector Mario Silva Investigations, set in Brazil. This time, the entire country depends on Mario Silva in A Vine in the Blood. Everyone is focused on the FIFA World Cup in Brazil, and the greatest player in the history of the sport, Tico Santos. When Tico’s mother is kidnapped just three weeks before the game, the pressure is on Chief Inspector Mario Silva to get him back.

Jessica Gregson’s debut novel, The Angel Makers, is based on the true story of the “Hungary husband murders.” It’s set in a Hungarian village during World War I. When the men left for war, the women discovered a freedom oppression and abuse. So, when the men return, and everything is threatened, one woman, then another, turns to poison.

Mr. Kill is the seventh book in Martin Limón’s series set in Korea. When a young mother is raped on a crowded train in Seoul, eyewitnesses claim the culprit was a U.S. serviceman. By the time Sergeants George Sueño and Ernie Bascom, U.S. Army investigators, are called in, anit-American fervor is high. Delay, and then murder, sets off a frantic search for a killer.

Taylor Stevens brings back Vanessa Michael Munroe from The Informationist in the latest novel, The Innocent. Eight years earlier, a five-year-old was spirited out of school and into the closed world of a cult known as The Chosen. Now, those who escaped the cult know where to find Hannah, and they turn to Vanessa Michael Munroe for help, knowing Munroe has to go inside to save her.

There’s some dark reading here, for those who need an escape over the holidays. Some of these books, Treasures in My Closet, might become your treasures as well.


Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Some thoughtful reading here, for sure, too! I may have to look for "Thinking Man's Bully." Not something I might usually choose, but I'm interested that the man's son is the *bully*, instead of the victim.

Harvee said...

Angel Makers sounds fascinating. I'm looking forward to reading A Vine in the Blood!

Lesa said...

Isn't that interesting, Elizabeth, that it's the bully who attempts to commit suicide? Not what you would expect.

Lesa said...


You picked the same two books that jump out at me from that list. I'm looking forward to them, too.

Liz V. said...

These all sound good. More TBRs (sigh).

Karen C said...

Endangered and The Angel Makers made it to my list ... I'm just not sure I should thank you! ;o)

Inside A Book said...

My husband will be so excited that Colin Cotterill has a new book coming. You are so on top of things. Thanks for keeping us posted!

I've been up to my eyeballs-busy, but looking back through your blog posts I see that you're just as busy. Thanks for keeping me connected.

Enjoy the crisp and the cool. I figure I better enjoy it - this may be the only fall/winter that we get!

Lesa said...

You're right, Jill. This could be it for the fall/winter here. But, I'm going home to Ohio on Nov. 30th for a week, so I'll probably get all I can handle for the season.

I try to keep up with the books. And, you're right, super busy! Good to hear from you!