Saturday, October 08, 2011

Seriously...I'm Kidding by Ellen DeGeneres

I really like Ellen DeGeneres. And, I liked her first two books. But, I’m afraid she should have stopped at two. Seriously…I’m Kidding just didn’t have enough meat to it. At times, it seemed to lack purpose.

DeGeneres’ latest book follows the same format as earlier ones. It’s a collection of essays in which she discusses her life and her thoughts. At times, it’s so random, it’s almost stream of consciousness. She covers every topic from her talk show and marriage to pros and cons of making lists. There are four blank pages on meditation.

I did appreciate what she said about courtesy. People should be nice, and be on time. And, she mentioned libraries in her chapter on honesty. “Libraries have those giant statues of lions out front. They’re practically begging us to get a crane and a flatbed truck to cart those things away.”

So, honestly? Ellen DeGeneres’ Seriously…I’m Kidding fell a little flat. Seriously…I’m not kidding.

 Seriously...I'm Kidding by Ellen DeGeneres. Grand Central Publishing. ©2011. ISBN 9780446585026 (hardcover), 241p.

FTC Full Disclosure - Library book.


Marce said...

I love her, want to see her Live for sure. I would love to try one of her books so glad to see her earlier ones are good. Thanks for the honesty, seriously :-)

Search Engine Optimization Indianapolis said...

Full of Ellens winning life philosophy...told in the form of funny stories. Some true, some not. There is love. Freedom of thought. Creativity. Inspiration. This book felt like more than a book.

It feels like an experience. An experience not to be missed. Recommended.