Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Hometown Girl by Mariah Stewart

Each time I read one of Mariah Stewart's Chesapeake Diaries novels, I fall a little more in love with St. Dennis, Maryland, her enchanting little town. Stewart creates an idyllic little town, and populates it with creative, bright people. Hometown Girl, the fourth book in the series, invites all of us into Stewart's world, where it's easy to feel at home.

Brooke Madison Bowers needed that feeling of coming home. After her husband, Eric, was killed in Iraq, she and her eight-year-old son moved back to her brother’s family farm. She struggled to finish her college degree while planning her own cupcake business. Almost three years after her husband’s death, though, she remained closed off to any relationship that might cause her to lose her heart again. But, she had to admire her mother, a widow herself, who was trying to move on with her life.

Brooke took one large step towards life when she met with Jesse Enright to talk about her will. Jesse had only recently moved to town, on probation in the family law firm. Enright’s father had made such a mess of his life, professionally and personally, that Jesse’s grandfather gave him a trial year. He worked at the firm, under the disapproving eyes of his grandfather’s secretary. Jesse wants more than just a trial year. He wants a life in St. Dennis. And, with a little nudge from Brooke’s brother, Clay, he might find someone to spend his life with, if he takes it slow and doesn’t scare her off.

Fans of Nora Roberts’ Brides Quartet should appreciate Stewart’s series. Each book introduces new characters, hints at a future romance, and successfully wraps up one or two relationships. The Chesapeake Diaries are satisfying, enjoyable contemporary romances. And, the story of Brooke Madison Bowers and Jesse Enright, Hometown Girl, is another strong entry in this excellent series.

Mariah Stewart's website is http://www.mariahstewart.com/

Hometown Girl by Mariah Stewart. Random House. ©2011. ISBN 9780345531216 (paperback), 384p.
 
*****
FTC Full Disclosure - I received this book to participate in Mariah Stewart's blog tour.

11 comments:

Kay said...

This sounds like a series I would enjoy. Now that Debbie Macomber is bringing her Cedar Cove series to an end, I'm on the lookout for other "gentle" series to take it's place. :-)

Lesa said...

Oh, I like this series, Kay. I think you should try it. And, this is only the fourth book, so you don't have a lot to catch up on. My mom and sisters like this series as much as I do.

Liz V. said...

Norah Roberts isn't a favorite but the locale is a draw.

Karen C said...

I love this series!!

I'm a long time Mariah Stewart fan and was initially disappointed that she changed from writing romantic suspense and switched to the 'sweeter' romance. My admiration for her writing skills quickly grew after reading Coming Home, the first book in The Chesapeake Diaries series.

susied said...

I've been eyeing this series since the first book but have yet to read one. I think I'll now have to put book one on my wishlist from this recommendation!

Lesa said...

How about Debbie Macomber, Liz? Quite similar.

Lesa said...

Funny, Karen. I'd read a couple of her romantic suspense, and I prefer this series.

Lesa said...

I hope you try book one, Susie. Karen & I are fans!

bookdout said...

I like this kind of series - I will have to keep an eye out for it. Thanks for sharing

Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

heathertlc said...

I'm glad this latest book in the series was just as good as the others! Thanks for being a part of the tour.

Ingrid King said...

I love this series and just picked this one up at the bookstore. I'm looking forward to reading it this weekend.