Sunday, September 04, 2011

The Diva Haunts the House by Krista Davis

I don't know when the last time was that I read a mystery that was as much fun as Krista Davis' fifth Diva book, The Diva Haunts the House. If you're not already anticipating Halloween, you will be after reading this mystery. Haunted houses, vampires, ghosts, along with tips for decorating and Halloween recipes. Buy it now, save it to read closer to Halloween, and use it for decorating and party tips. Davis has wrapped a mystery up in the perfect package for a Halloween treat.

Sophie Winston loves the idea of decorating an historical Old Town Alexandria house for the community haunted house for Halloween. But, a couple of her adult volunteers run out on her, claiming there's something in the house. Her four teenage volunteers, including her niece, Jen, love the idea of a real haunted house. They're all set to decorate it room by room, including a vampire's bedroom with a real coffin. But, before they can even open the house, Sophie has a run-in with a man trying to shut down a possible romance between two of the teens. Sophie assumes Patrick Stark is Blake's father, so she's surprised when Blake's actual father picks him up later.

That's not the last time she'll see the disagreeable man, though. Sophie's hosting the teens at her house, while her rival, Natasha, the other diva in town, hosts a Halloween party for adults only. It's a little boy who raps at her door saying there's a bad man out there who leads Sophie to Natasha's house, and the discovery of a body on the porch. Sophie and the girls are just in time to see the killer escape, disguised as a vampire. But, it seems every man in town has a vampire costume, and most of them hated Patrick Stark.

Krista Davis fills the mystery with suspects and spookiness. Between someone who follows Sophie, and the hysteria caused by young teenagers, Sophie's jumpier than usual. Eerie events at the haunted house, and stories of a vampire who once lived in town only add to the general feeling of hysteria, and, in some cases, terror, in town. It's enough to make a diva question even people she's known for ages.

Davis manages to create a perfect atmosphere for the story of a haunting to accompany a murder msytery. Old Town Alexandria, with the historic buildings, is just right as a setting. Give yourself a treat for the Halloween season. Pick up a copy of Krista Davis' The Diva Haunts the House. It's isn't only kids who deserve a delicious treat this time of year.

Krista Davis' website is www.kristadavis.com, and she blogs at www.mysteryloverskitchen.com.

The Diva Haunts the House by Krista Davis. Berkley Prime Crime. ©2011. ISBN 9780425243787 (paperback), 304p.

*****
FTC Full Disclosure - The publisher sent me a copy of the book, hoping I would review it.


17 comments:

Liz V. said...

Sounds great. And her recipes on Mystery Lovers' Kitchen are wonderful. Best to read in order?

Pat R. said...

I love this series. Looking forward to reading this one.

Avery Aames said...

Lesa, what a great review. I love the "Diva" books. (Liz, I think each book stands alone. Read in order if you want to follow any family or romantic links.) And if you start with the first, you won't want to miss the rest.

~Avery
*caveat - I blog with Krista but I never lie. :)

bermudaonion said...

This sounds like so much fun! I wish I had time to read it in October.

Beth Hoffman said...

What a fun book! I'll add it to my list. Thanks, Lesa. Happy Sunday!

Karen C said...

Oh, this sounds like great fun!!Thanks, Avery, for letting us know that it can be read as a stand alone.

Lesa said...

Gee, I go out to buy a newspaper and read it, come back, and Avery's taken over my blog. Thank you, Avery! I appreciate it. She's right, everyone. You don't need to read them in order.And this one was my favorite, with the spooky atmosphere, and the Halloween hints. Good mystery as well.

Thanks, again, Avery!

Lesa said...

Add this one to your TBR pile, even if you don't read it now. Fun book.

Happy Sunday, Beth!

Jenn's Bookshelves said...

I must add this series to my TBR list! Mystery, set just minutes from my own home!? Yes, please!

Lesa said...

Oh, definitely, Jenn. I used to go to Old Town Alexandria when I was in grad school in D.C. I love reading books set in the areas I know.

Cleo Coyle said...

Lovely review, Lesa. I'm really looking forward to reading Krista's new Diva!

Liz V. said...

Krista mentions your review in her post on Mystery Lovers' Kitchen.

Lesa said...

Thanks, Cleo & Liz. I'll have to go check out Mystery Lovers' Kitchen.

Janet Bolin said...

Krista has a dry, wry sense of humor that keeps me cackling. I agree with Avery - all of Krista's books stand alone, but it's most fun - for me, at least - to read them in order (probably true of all series.)

Gigi Pandian said...

This is a great series, and I have to say this sounds like the best premise yet!

Lesa said...

It's true of all series, Janet, but some NEED to be read in order.

Lesa said...

Oh, this one is fun, Gigi. I have a second copy on order to give away because I liked it so much.