Sunday, September 18, 2011

Bouchercon Award Round-up


Well, the awards ceremonies at Bouchercon 2011 in St. Louis are all wrapped up. Congratulations to the all the winners and the nominees. Lots of friends in the groups. And, a big congratulations to Louise Penny, whose Bury Your Dead won the Macavity and Anthony Awards for Best Novel. Well-deserved!

Janet Rudolph, editor of Mystery Readers Journal, announced the winners of the Macavity Awards.

Macavity Awards:

Best Mystery Novel
Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny (Minotaur)

Best First Mystery Novel
Rogue Island by Bruce DeSilva (Forge-Tom Doherty Associates)

Best Mystery-Related Nonfiction
Agatha Christie’s Secret Notebooks: Fifty Years of Mysteries in the Making by John Curran (HarperCollins)

Best Mystery Short Story
“Swing Shift” by Dana Cameron in Crimes by Moonlight: Mysteries from the Dark Side (Berkley)

Sue Feder Memorial Historical Mystery
City of Dragons by Kelli Stanley (Minotaur)
 


Janet also shared the winners of the Shamus Awards on her blog.

Private Eye Writers of America (PWA) 2011 Shamus Awards, “given annually to recognize outstanding achievement in private eye fiction.”

Best Hardcover P.I. Novel: No Mercy, by Lori Armstrong (Touchstone)

Best First P.I. Novel: In Search of Mercy, by Michael Ayoob (Minotaur)

Best Paperback Original P.I. Novel: Asia Hand, By Christopher G. Moore(Grove/Atlantic)

Best P.I. Short Story: “The Lamb Was Sure to Go,” by Gar Anthony Haywood (Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine, November 2010)
The Hammer Award (Best P.I. Series Character): Sara Paretsky for V.I. Warshawski

The EYE (Lifetime Achievement Award):
Ed Gorman

And, today, the Anthony Awards were announced. "The Anthony Awards are given at each annual Bouchercon World Mystery Convention with the winners selected by attendees. The award is named for the late Anthony Boucher (William Anthony Parker White), well-known writer and critic from the San Francisco Chronicle and New York Times, who helped found the Mystery Writers of America."

Best Novel - Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny

Best First Mystery - The Damage Done by Hilary Davidson

Best Paperback Original -  Expiration Date by Duane Swierczynski

Best Critical/Non-Fiction - Agatha Chrstie's Secret Notebooks: 50 Years of Mysteries in the Making by John Curran 

Best Short Story -  “Swing Shift” by Dana Cameron in Crimes by Moonlight: Mysteries from the Dark Side (Berkley)

Best Graphic Novel - The Chill by Jason Starr & Mick Bertilorenzi

Best Website/Blog - Stop, You're Killing Me! by Lucinda Surber & Stan Ulrich



 




2 comments:

Inside A Book said...

Thanks so much for keeping me updated on these awards. I love to know the whos and whats but find that I'm so caught up in my Education-world that I lose touch!!

Congrats to Louise too!! I feel like a friend has won it now that I've heard her speak. Isn't that funny?!?

Thanks again for helping me feel in the loop.

Lesa said...

Oh, I don't think that's funny, Jill, that you feel as if Louise is a friend. I think Louise is good at making people feel as if they're friends. She just gathers us all us in her community.

Glad to let you feel in the loop!