Friday, August 12, 2011

Deborah J. Ledford, Guest Blogger

I first met Deborah J. Ledford when Desert Sleuths, the Arizona Chapter of Sisters in Crime, appeared for Authors @ The Teague with their first anthology, How Not to Survive the Holidays. Since then, I've spent a great deal of time with her, and with other members of the group. I even reviewed her last book, Snare, which went on to become a Hillerman Sky Award Finalist. It was an honor when Desert Sleuths named me as their first fan guest of honor for their conference last year. Knowing that, and knowing how important Deb, and the other members have become to me, I asked her if she'd write a guest post, talking about Sisters in Crime, and Desert Sleuths. Thank you, Deb.

Sisters in Crime United

Quoting from the Sisters in Crime website: “Sisters in Crime (SinC) is an international organization founded in 1986 to promote the professional development and advancement of women writing crime fiction. Today, SinC is made up of more than 3,000 members in 48 Chapters worldwide—authors, readers, publishers, agents, booksellers, librarians, and others who love mysteries.”

What the website doesn’t boast is how important this organization is to published authors as well as writers with the desire to see their words in print.

Lesa has been kind enough to showcase many SinC authors and their books for us on her fabulous blog. The list is long and varied from writers of crafting cozies to hardboiled noirs and suspense thriller novels.

When my first novel, the classical music themed STACCATO was released in 2009, members of my local Arizona chapter, the Desert Sleuths, opened their arms and provided inroads to presenting this novel at book fairs and events where the chapter made appearances. I don’t believe my debut novel would have been nearly as well received if not for the support of the Arizona sleuths standing behind my efforts. And I am quite certain Sisters and Misters nationwide are responsible for nominating my latest suspense thriller SNARE for The Hillerman Sky Award at Left Coast Crime 2011.

When the request for submissions to the Desert Sleuths first member anthology was announced, I imagined this as a great opportunity to showcase one of my short stories. Now we’re about to unveil the third anthology at the annual Write Now! 2011 Conference to be held August 20th at the beautiful Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix, AZ.

I am indebted to the encouragement of Sisters and Misters around the globe and hope you will join me in celebrating Sisters in Crime for their 25th year of supporting women and a handful of male mystery writers in their endeavors.

Deborah J Ledford’s latest suspense thriller novel SNARE, The Hillerman Sky Award Finalist, is book two of her Deputy Hawk/Inola Walela thriller series. STACCATO, book one of the serial, is also available. Both novels are published by Second Wind Publishing.

Thank you, Deb. I appreciate the post about Sisters in Crime and Desert Sleuths, celebrating the anniversary of Sisters in Crime!

Deborah J. Ledford's website is

Snare by Deborah J. Ledford. Second Wind Publishing. ©2010. ISBN 9781935171577 (paperback), 340p.


Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I'm a SinC member and love their mission...and the resources and support they offer to women.

Liz V. said...

Jungle Red Writers expands on the history and 25th anniversary festivities of SinC

Judy Starbuck said...

Deb Ledford is not only a wonderful writer, but a huge cheerleader for other valley writers. She has helped bring our local chapter of Sisters in Crime into an important resource for community writers. I wish Deb al the success in the world and feel privileged to call her my friend.

Lesa said...

It's a wonderful organization, isn't it, Elizabeth? I'm grateful to Deb for taking time to write about them.

Lesa said...

That's a terrific article on I read it yesterday. And, the picture of the authors in Santa hats is Desert Sleuths here at Velma Teague.

Lesa said...

I feel the same way, Judy. I'm lucky to call her a friend.

Deborah J said...

Thank you so much for the opportunity to appear on your fabulous blog, Lesa. You and SinC have been very very good to me. Meeting you due to my association with Desert Sleuths has been a high point in my writing career.

Lesa said...

Ah, Deb. Thank you. Desert Sleuths has been very good to both of us!

Melinda said...

I'm an SinC Member and I love it...I write Native American Mystery and love it

I hope to meet you one day Deborah

Walk in harmony,

kathy d. said...

Thanks so much for reminding me and others of the wonderful Sisters in Crime.

I keep forgetting to regularly read their website.

So many authors and readers owe a lot of gratitude to them.

Barbara Fister said...

This is great - and a happy birthday to Sisters in Crime; we'll be celebrating our 25th anniversary at Bouchercon this year. I have found it a wonderful, welcoming group for all - not just writers, not just women, just for anyone who can get behind that mission and loves the genre.

Lesa said...

And, so many of us here can get behind the mission, and love the crime fiction genre. Thank you, Barbara.

Most of all, thank you, Deb, and thanks to all the readers who love mysteries, and comment here.

ronisays said...

Well said, Deb. Thanks to you and Lesa for the kind words about Desert Sleuths. Our DS members are truly supportive, and we are proud to be working in harmony with SinC members worldwide to support you and all women who write crime fiction.

And, of course, we love our readers too.

Roni Olson, President
Desert Sleuths Chapter, SinC

Lesa said...

Deb said it very well, didn't she, Roni? She's a terrific representative for Desert Sleuths.

Glad you love your readers!

Susan Budavari said...

Thanks to Deb for such a great job in getting the word out on Desert Sleuths and for her untiring efforts in making the group successful. Special thanks to Lesa for her amazing support in unique ways!

Lesa said...

Thanks, Susan. Deb does a wonderful job with Desert Sleuths, doesn't she? I appreciate your comments, and her guest post.

Anonymous said...

I'm a member of Sisters in Crime/Los Angeles chapter and I couldn't have gotten my book published without the support, information and networking from the other sisters and misters.
Sally Carpenter
"The Baffled Beatlemaniac Caper"
Oak Tree Press

Lesa said...

Fantastic, Sally! I've said before, the mystery community is so supportive, and there's no group more supportive than Sisters in Crime. I'll be in Ohio when Desert Sleuths celebrates the 25th anniversary here in Scottsdale, so I'm going to make a point of going up to Sedona to celebrate with them. I definitely want to be part of this year's celebration of this wonderful group.