Monday, March 07, 2011

Paige Shelton, Guest Blogger

 It's always fun to welcome a guest blogger. Paige Shelton's second Farmer's Market mystery, Fruit of All Evil, has just been released. Her first mystery, Farm Fresh Murder, introduced Becca Robins, who makes jam on her farm and sells it at her twin sister Alison’s farmers market, in rural South Carolina. Today, I'm welcoming Paige as guest blogger.

In FRUIT OF ALL EVIL, the owners of Bailey's Farm  Market install a new lighted road sign for the market. When writing about the sign, even I was surprised that the vendors weren’t all that impressed by the new addition. They weren’t unhappy; they just didn't have much time to concern themselves with such things. It's funny how characters take on a life of their own. As a writer, you might think you've created them but you probably only created a spark of them. Once they're there, on paper or on your computer screen, if you try to make them do something that seems wrong to their personality, they'll fight you all the way. And they'll usually win.

I shouldn't have been too surprised by their reaction. After all, technological advancements have mostly occurred outside the farmers' market world. However, I recently saw a commercial for a credit card processing attachment for cell phones. Those vendors who take credit cards will probably be very happy to replace those big, old knuckle buster manual slide machines they've been using.

Despite the new road sign, Bailey's, like most markets, will always have stalls made of canvas tent walls. Display tables might change a little over time, but mostly they will just be tables. Folding chairs will be the seating of choice. And Becca, the protagonist of the Farmers' Market Mystery Series, will always have a number of overalls in her closet.

The important things about all farmers' markets have nothing to do with technology. The important things - the fresh foods and the amazing artistic products - will always be based in simplicity. Homegrown and homemade will always be the two most important product descriptions. Time marches on and technology advances the world around us, but Bailey's will always honor the simple traditions that all markets were built upon. I know this because the vendors told me.

Thanks for letting me stop by today! 

And, thanks for stopping by Paige!

Paige Shelton's website is

Fruit of All Evil by Paige Shelton. Penguin Group (USA), ©2011. ISBN 9780425240229 (paperback), 304p.


Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

It's always comforting when some things stay the same...even when the technological changes are buzzing around us! Best wishes for "Fruit of All Evil" Paige. :)

Lesa said...

Thanks for stopping by, Elizabeth. I read Fruit of All Evil, and review it here tomorrow. Paige creates a terrific cast of characters. Good characters are something that do stay the same - a necessity for any good book.

Nancy Naigle said...

This is the kind of book I love to read. I just love small town stories. I'm glad booktrib brought you to my reader list.

Best wishes, Paige.
Nancy Naigle
Drewryville, VA

Lesa said...

Thanks for the note, Nancy. And you might want to check back the rest of the week. I have reviews of some other small town mysteries coming up.

Paige said...

Thank you, Elizabeth, Nancy and Lesa - your good wishes are much appreciated.

It's so fun to be a part of Lesa's blog today!


Clea Simon said...

Thanks for posting this. I wasn't aware of either of these books, but the series does sound mouth watering!

Lesa said...


Thank you for stopping by. And, my review will be posted tomorrow. I really appreciate the time you took to blog. Thanks!

Lesa said...

Good characters, Clea. I hope you enjoy the series.

kourtneyheintz said...

One of the best aspects of your books is the down to earthness and back to basics embraced by the farmer's market folks. Makes me want to drive out to Bailey's and load up my car with purchases.

Can't wait to read your review. This is one of my favorite series. :)

Lesa said...

Thank you, Kourtney. You're right. I'd love to be able to go to Bailey's and pick up jams, preserves, pastries, flowers. And, I'd love to see Ian's artwork.

Paige said...

Thank you, Clea, Kourtney and Lesa - I'll be checking out your books, too, Clea! They look fantastic.

It's amazing how our settings become so real to us. I can't tell you how much it tickles me when readers mention Bailey's as an appealing place.

Thank you!

Lesa said...


Thank you for taking time to blog this week. I appreciate it!