Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Ellery Adams, Guest Blogger

I just love it when a character comes to life. Today, Ellery Adams, author of  the Books by the Bay mysteries, A Killer Plot and A Deadly Cliché, introduces us to Olivia Limoges, restaurant owner and star of both books.  Thank you, Ellery.


A Speed Date With Olivia Limoges (Interviewed by her author, Ellery Adams)

EA – So here you are. A tall, slim, independently wealthy, 40-year-old bachelorette. How can an attractive single lady keep busy in the small coastal town of Oyster Bay, North Carolina?

Olivia – I didn’t need a man’s shoes in my closet to have a fulfilling life, thank you very much. Not only do I own two restaurants—the five-star-rated Boot Top Bistro and most recently, The Bayside Crab House—but I’m writing a novel.

EA – Historical fiction, right? It must be difficult to concentrate on your book with all the burglaries occurring in town.

Olivia – Odd, those. The thieves have been leaving clues behind at every scene. My friend Harris (he’s a sci-fi writer who looks remarkably like Peter Pan) recognized that the clues are all presented in the form of clichés.

EA – Can the Bayside Book Writers solve the riddle before the crimes become more violent?

Olivia (raising her chin with pride) – My friends and I have been asked to ruminate over these conundrums by Chief Rawlings himself.  We were instrumental in helping the police wrap up a murder investigation before. Even my beloved standard poodle, Captain Havilland, provided assistance.

EA – Yes, I recall the exciting conclusion of A Killer Plot. Has anyone ever commented on the name connection? Limoges and Haviland?

Olivia (looking slightly surly) – If I had a dollar for every person who stopped me on my way to Grumpy’s Diner to ask if we were both named after French porcelain I’d be richer than Midas.

EA – I’m glad you mentioned the diner. It’s hard to believe that a roller-skating dwarf waitress with an affinity for Andrew Lloyd Webber is your best friend.

Olivia (dark blue eyes flashing dangerously) – Dixie may be short of stature, but she has more heart and brains than the rest of the town put together!

EA – Isn’t Flynn McNulty, owner of Through the Wardrobe bookstore smart enough for you? He’s charming, funny, and good-looking. What more could you want? But you two seem to be having problems…

Olivia (a blush tingeing her cheeks pink) – Flynn and I could only reach a certain level of closeness. I’m not good at that stuff. My mother died in a tragic accident when I was seven and my father was an angry drunk who disappeared in his fishing boat in the middle of a storm when I was ten. This doesn’t exactly lay groundwork for normal adult relationships. It’s taken me thirty years to make a few real friends. It’s going to take me a little longer to…to let a man inside the walls I built around my heart.

EA – Maybe Chief Rawlings has a high-quality battering ram. Here, let me pour you a finger of Chivas Regal Reserve and we’ll sit on your deck and listen to the ocean. After your adventures in A Deadly Cliché, you’re going to need a drink and a dose of serenity.

Olivia (raising a crystal tumbler in a toast) A major hurricane, robbery, murder, the possibility of finding my father alive, blackmail, bullying, fellowship and forgiveness. And perhaps, the courage to take a chance on…love.  All that in one book. Just pass me the bottle, Ellery.

Ellery Adams – Thanks for stopping by to get to know the heroine of my Books By the Bay mysteries, A Killer Plot and A Deadly Cliché.  Many authors carry around ideas for the book they most want to write, referring to them as the “books of my heart.” Sometimes, we have to wait for a publishing house to take a chance on our idea. It can take years. But finally, we get the chance to put or best work on paper. This series contains the books of my heart. I write every word with joy, ever excited to return to Oyster Bay, North Carolina, and eternally grateful to the readers who allow me to continue and to folks like Lesa, die-hard supporters of traditional mysteries.

Any questions on writing? Mysteries? My books? My favorite cocktail? Ask away! 


Thank you, Ellery, and Olivia!  So, don't hesitate to ask questions of either one. Anyone who posts a comment will be entered in a drawing for an autographed copy of A Deadly Cliché. If you want to be included in the drawing, please include your email address in the blog comment. Ellery will be drawing a name at the end of the week, and she'll send out the book to the winner.

Ellery Adams' website is http://www.elleryadamsmysteries.com

A Deadly Cliché by Ellery Adams. Berkley Prime Crime, ©2011. ISBN 9780425240236 (paperback), 296p.

52 comments:

Booklady said...

How did Chivas become Olivia's preferred drink? I discovered Chivas at a frat party in college when a guy I liked offered to make me a Rusty Nail. But I'm like Olivia, I think scotch neat is better. But I've not found too many women who drink scotch. Just one more thing I like about Olivia.

I loved A Deadly Cliche, but would love to add a signed copy to my collection.

bevarcher (at) me (dot) com

Victoria said...

Figuring out love is more difficult than any mystery, isn't it??

Dru said...

What a great interview. Having read A Deadly Cliche I was floored by the emotions contained within the pages.

I have high hopes for Olivia's future ;)

Anonymous said...

My family loves good mysteries and would definitly like to win a copy!

connies_sweeps(at)yahoo(dot)com

Ellery Adams said...

Bev, My mom is and my grandfather was die-hard scotch drinkers. Must be our Scots/Welsh background. I remember leaving for college and having my mother say, "Skip the grain punch and the cheap beer. If you're going to drink, drink something expensive and with character."

I'm not as tough as Olivia or my mom, but I love that line!

Laura Alden said...

"If you're going to drink, drink something expensive and with character." Wow. Your mom sounds like quite a lady, Ellery :) Good luck with "A Deadly Cliche"!

Patricia Reed said...

I have read The Killer Plot and can't wait to Read A Deadly Cliche. I am interested to see the development between the writers. They seem to be a very ecletic group from vastly different walks of life. Interestly that they have each others backs.

Mare F said...

LOL. The more I see of Olivia the more I like the lady.

zaida said...

Thanks for sharing the books of your heart.

It’s a refreshing series, that enlighten those who might have ‘walls built around their hearts.’
butterflymusic20@yahoo.com

Chèli said...

I know several ladies that like scotch. I've heard so much about both of the books in this series. I have A killer Plot but love to get A Deadly Cliché.


cyderryATyahooDOTcom
Chèli
Cheli's Shelves

Chèli said...

I know several ladies that like scotch. I've heard so much about both of the books in this series. I have A killer Plot but love to get A Deadly Cliché.


cyderryATyahooDOTcom
Chèli
Cheli's Shelves

Chèli said...

I know several ladies that like scotch. I've heard so much about both of the books in this series. I have A killer Plot but love to get A Deadly Cliché.


cyderryATyahooDOTcom
Chèli
Cheli's Shelves

Ruthann said...

I love Captain Haviland! Reading about him makes me want to get a standard poodle. Maybe someday, when the house is finally free of all these beagles!

I'd love a signed copy!

cello_suttonr@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

I loved the interview and cant wait to get the book and read it!!

Kaye said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kaye said...

I loved Killer Plot, but then I love all Ellery's/J's books. Can't wait to get a hold of this one. What's next, Ellery?

Kaye said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer L Hart said...

Love character interviews and this is one of the best I've ever seen! Definitely whets the appetite for more Olivia and her sassy attitude.

Tempewytch said...

Oh I love it? it gives you a real feel for the character (goes off mumbling about another set of books to add to her wishlist)

Lin Oz said...

It's great to hear that you are writing the books you want to write! Are you harboring other ideas just waiting to burst forth?

NoraA said...

Hi Ellery,
I enjoyed Olivia's first outing very much, and I'm looking forward to getting my hands (in whatever way it happens) on A Deadly Cliche. You write one hell of a mystery there lady!....LOL

Lin Oz said...

I'd love to win a copy of this book.

ozsulin@dwx.com

Leann Sweeney said...

Great interview, Ellery. You are quite skillful in getting the best out of your subject. And I can tell this series are the "books of your heart." Thank you for writing them.

Leann Sweeney said...

Great interview, Ellery. You are quite skillful in getting the best out of your subject. And I can tell this series are the "books of your heart." Thank you for writing them.

Leann Sweeney said...

Great interview, Ellery. You are quite skillful in getting the best out of your subject. And I can tell this series are the "books of your heart." Thank you for writing them.

Tempewytch said...

What a wonderful way to find out about the characters, thank you! (goes off muttering about adding another set of books to her wish list)

SandyG265 said...

Have you ever had a Bermnuda Triangle?

sgiden at verizon.net

Kuzlin said...

Great interview. Are we going to see a softer side to Olivia with this next book? She sems a little too stoic at times?

Amber said...

I haven't had a chance to read " A Deadly Cliche" yet, and I would LOVE a signed copy from my brand new favorite mystery author! I have to say however, I am in Chief Rawlings side to win Olivia's heart! He seems more genuine and "real" than Flynn to me somehow. Olivia has been through so much in her life, it seems only natural that she end up with a " protector" to open her heart to. Not that she needs it, she's quite capable of taking care of herself. It just seems nice to think of her not having to try so hard to take care of herself and her emotional baggage, and Chief Rawlings seems like the best man to lighten the load.

Amber Elmore

Amber@betanews.com

Christine A said...

This looks like a good book. Looking forward to reading it.

your1chef@ aol.com

Brandi said...

Olivia's a hard ass...I love it!

brandimhoenig@yahoo.com

PamelaSueJames said...

I love the interview and I can't wait to read a Deadly Cliche.

Pamela James

Tina said...

Lesa - no need to enter me- I'm reading A Deadly Cliche right now and readers can have another chance to win a copy over at Tutu's Two Cents

Great interview with a dynamite writer and her protagonist. This is going to be one of my favorite series.

Lesa said...

I totally agree with everyone who raved about Olivia and Ellery's books. Thanks to both of them for a terrific interview today. I review the book tomorrow, but I can say right now it's one of the best books I've read lately. Those are living characters, particularly Olivia. Thank you, Ellery, and good luck with the book.

Loni Emmert said...

Yes, love is the greatest mystery of all! I love these book covers, these are the type I buy for long plane rides and cuddling up with late at night before I doze off!

Ellery Adams said...

Great questions and comments, but I expect no less from Lesa's readers.

Kaye, you asked what's next for Ellery. After the third Books By the Bay mystery releases in December (it's called The Last Word, regardless of what Amazon says!) I will be releasing the first of my enchanted pie shop mysteries in June 2012. I have long wanted to experiment with fantasy elements in my mysteries and this book will combine my love of food, a bit of magic, and more eccentric characters.

Ellery Adams said...

Kuzlin, you are right about Olivia. She needed to soften up a bit and she will as the books progress. However, I made her tough and impenetrable in the first book because she didn't have the kind of past to warrant a warm, fuzzy, polite heroine. I wanted a haunted and complex woman who would make people feel, even if those feelings were negative. She will continue to remain very flawed even with some softening and even though she and Sawyer have a tangible connection, her lack of experience in maintaining intimacy is going to be a major challenge for her.

Ellery Adams said...

Amber, I have a feeling you'll like the direction Book 3 will take. :)

Booklady said...

Ellery your mom sounds wonderful. I love that line, too. And I'm excited to hear about your future series. Your books always have something that I feel I can connect with personally. I love the Supper Club (I'm a librarian and I've spent quite a bit of effort on my weight), my husband and I were stationed in NC for many years and I've always wanted to join a writers group, and I love food. Reading your books is like going home. Thanks for always providing such wonderful entertainment.

Karen B said...

Your interview was a delight to read! My wish list has just gotten longer.
kpbarnett1941[at]aol[dot]com

Kay said...

I have this series on my "want to read" list. They sound like great reads. I love another series by this author, written as Jennifer Stanley.

kay[dot]kaym57(at)gmail[dot]com

lori cimino said...

I have just started reading A Killer Plot. I bought it the day it came out but it has been in my to be read pile. After getting to know you Ellery on facebook, i moved it to the top of the pile. So far I am loving it and would love an autographed copy of deadly cliche.
Lori cimino
celtic_rayne3@charter.net

Kaye Barley said...

What a great interview! Thanks, Lesa, for having Ellery and Olivia here today.

I'm reading A Deadly Cliché right now. LOVED A Killer Plot and could hardly wait to get this one. And it is every bit as wonderful as I had hoped - Yay!!!!

Kaye

Annette said...

Ellery, The way you are creating an Olivia who is in layers, like all of us, is perfect. Thanks for the terrific interview.

annette@yahoo.com

Kellie M. Rix said...

Hi Ellery,
I'm reading A Killer Plot right now and lovin' it. Olivia and Captain are wonderful. I really like the names you have chosen. This is a great interview. Thank you for sharing!
kmrix2011@yahoo.com

Page said...

I love A Deadly Plot. I plan to read more about Olivia and her dog. Thanks for introducing me to this great author.

marybelle said...

Insightful interview. I know I want to seek out these books.

marypres@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

definitely would love to have a copy of this book.... thank you!!

slots_granny(at)yahoo(dot)com

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a very good book to read....

lydias_sweeps(at)yahoo(dot)com

Lesa said...

I hope you all get a chance to read Ellery's books. Good luck in her contest!

Harbingerdc said...

What a fun interview. And you sure know how to push Olivia's buttons!

Lesa said...

Ellery did a terrific job interviewing, Olivia, didn't she Harbingerdc? She's a better interviewer than I am.