Thursday, December 02, 2010

January Treasures in My Closet and Hot Titles

December is so crowded with books and contests that the listing of January's forthcoming books is a day late.  But, I promise an enticing list of January releases, starting with the treasures in my closet.

Frozen Assets marks the launch of a new mystery series by Quentin Bahes.  Set in the small fishing village of Hvalvik, Iceland, it follows Gunna Gunnhildur as she investigates a murder, while a rookie crime beat journalist follows Gunna.

Kim Edwards, author of The Memory Keeper's Daughter, brings us The Lake of Dreams, the story of a woman who returns home to upstate New York only to discovery a collection of heirlooms that reveals a new family history.

What librarian would be able to resist Katie Fforde's new romantic comedy, Love Letters?  While helping to organize a literary festival, Laura is sent to Ireland to persuade a reclusive author to come out of hiding.  The blurb calls this, "An irresistible tale of love and literature and the quest for a happy ending." 

In Falling More Slowly, Peter Helton introduces Detective Inspector Liam McLusky, freshly transferred to Bristol after an injury.  He has no time to settle in before catching a case in which explosive devices disguises as everyday objects are being left across Bristol, maiming or killing people.  He has to find out a killer, while also navigating internal politics in his new job.

The Poison Tree is a psychological thriller by Erin Kelly.  This debut alternates between the present and past as it tells the story of a summer in the 1990s when sex, alcohol, and excess turned deadly.

Michael Koryta brings us another supernatural thriller, The Cypress House.  Mix together a man who sees death coming in the a trace of smoke in people's eyes, a hurricane, and relentless suspense.  When Arlen Wagner tries to warn fellow passengers on a train, only one person believes him, and they abandon the train.  Their journey strands them at the Cypress House, an isolated boardinghouse, directly in the path of a hurricane, and something even deadlier.

It's hard to resist a book that includes the quote, "Books are not luxuries.  They are meat and drink for the mind."  Andrew Taylor's The Anatomy of Ghosts takes readers back to England in 1786.  John Holdsworth, a bookseller and novelist, is offered a commission to catalogue an extensive library, but first he must find Lady Anne Oldershaw's son, Frank, committed to a home for the mentally unstable after claiming he saw a ghost.  As Holdsworth investigates, he's drawn deep into the secretive Cambridge community in this suspenseful thriller.

Inspector Ian Rutledge returns in Charles Todd's A Lonely Death.  Three men were murdered in a Sussex village, and Scotland Yard is called in.  All three were soldiers who survived World War I, only to be garroted in a small town two years later.  Before Rutledge can even investigate, a fourth man ends up dead.

Jill Paton Walsh brings back Dorothy L. Sayers' characters, Lord Peter Wimsey and Harriet Vane in The Attenbury Emeralds.  In 1921, Lord Peter Wimsey recovered the Attenbury Emeralds, launching his detective career.  Thirty years later, Attenbury's grandson asks for help in a new mystery surround the family's emeralds.

If those treasures in my closet haven't enticed you, maybe a few of these other forthcoming books will.  How about the charming cover of Blaize Clement's Cat Sitter Among the Pigeons?  Dixie Hemingway's latest cat sitting job finds her dealing with con artists who aren't afraid to kill.  But, those con artists are movers and shakers in Dixie's town.

Joe Pike and Elvis Cole are drawn into a dangerous case in Robert Crais' The Sentry.  Their investigation reveal two people who fled from Hurricane Katrina aren't who they seem to be, and a vengeful force from their past is catching up with them. 

My review of Lisa Genova's Left Neglected appeared earlier this month, but the book actually comes out in January.  A woman's life is changed forever following an accident that leaves her with a brain injury called Left Neglect.

Following an ambush in Afghanistan, Sean Dillon is charged with discovering if an American or allies were responsible for the massacre in Jack Higgins' The Judas Gate.

The Amlingmeyer boys, "Big Red" and "Old Red," are in Chicago in 1893 to compete with some of the world's most famous detectives at the World's Columbian Exposition.  But the competition has just started when a murder occurs, and the boys investigate in Steve Hockensmith's World's Greatest Sleuth.

In Alice Hoffman's The Red Garden, a mysterious garden where only red plants grow is at the center of lives in the town of Blackwell.  The truth can be found in that garden by those who dare to look.

Unwritten Laws is Greg Iles' new thriller.  Penn Cage's father has been accused of murder, and every time Penn tries to do something to defend him, shocking secrets are revealed, leaving Penn to question whether he really knew his father at all.

In John Lescroart's Damage, the conviction of the Curtlee family heir changed a detective's life forever.  Now, he's been released following a new trial, and tragedies begin to happen to others who were involved in his conviction. 

Brad Meltzer takes readers into hidden history in The Inner Circle.  When an archivist tries to impress a woman, taking her into a secret vault where the President of the U.S. reviews classified documents, they find trouble when they discover a hidden 200-year-old dictionary that once belonged to Washington. 

When an ATF agent, working undercover, stops communicating with everyone except his wife, Charlie Hood wonders if he's gone deeper undercover, or if he's suffered a break with his mission in T. Jefferson Parker's The Border Lords.

Does anyone doubt that James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge will have another bestseller with Tick Tock?  Detective Michael Bennett is called to investigate when a bomb in New York proves to be a deadly warning.

Here's a book that might not be on your radar, but I'm looking forward to it.  Joydeep Roy-Bhattacharya's U.S. debut is The Storyteller of Marrakesh.  Each year, Hassan gathers people in the city square to share recollections of a young foreign couple that disappeared years earlier.  Are people sharing in a storytelling ritual or covering up a crime?

Clara and Mr. Tiffany is Susan Vreeland's latest historical novel.  It's the story of Clara Driscoll, head of Louis Comfort Tiffany's women's division, who came up with the idea for the Tiffany lamp, and brought the company financial success. 

Deborah Rodriguez, who brought us Kabul Beauty School, has her first novel, A Cup of Friendship.  Sunny, an American living in Kabul, runs a coffee shop, where she hears so many stories.  But, she gets caught up in the life of a young woman from a remote village who was kidnapped and left pregnant and alone on the city streets. 

So, what did I miss that you're planning to read in January?  What entices you on this list?  It might still be December, but January promises to kick off 2011 with great books.


Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Some great books here! January looks like a wonderful month for reading. :) "Love Letters" sounds like a fun book and the others sound really interesting, too.

Bev Stephans said...

Good morning Lesa.

I'm so glad to see that Jill Paton Walsh has written another Harriet Vane/Peter Wimsey novel. I generally don't like writers who take pen in hand after the original author has died, but she does a very competent job and retains the flavor of the originals.

Susan Elizabeth Phillips has a new book in January titled, Call Me Irresistible. Her books always make me laugh and cry.

P.L. Gaus's, A Prayer For The Night releases in January. Yes, Lesa, you got me hooked on this series!

Last, but not least is Robyn Carr's, Promise Canyon. This is a continuation of her Virgin River series and I enjoy them immensely and count down the days until the next book is released.

I'm sure after reading your book reviews, I'll have more January picks. I think you must be a superlibrarian!


kathy d. said...

There are lots of books here that look good and I'm working out my December holiday reading right now.

Am just wrapping up the Laura Lippman stand-alone, which you kindly sent to me. It's good, written in a popular style.

I was worried the subject would be hard to read about, but Lippman has done a very skillful job, raising many questions.

The cover on the Blaize Clement book is adorable. Cats are always cute on covers.

Lesa said...

I have it on good authority that Love Letters is good, Elizabeth. I loaned my copy to a coworker to read first. She loved it. It does look like a good month, doesn't it?

Lesa said...

Yes! I'm glad I hooked you on that series, Bev. I haven't read Jill Paton Walsh's last book, but I know it received good reviews. Good to hear you liked her version of Lord Peter Wimsey. Thank you!

Lesa said...

I never know if people will like the books, kathy. I thought Lippman did handle that subject matter well. I like Blaize Clement's books, but that's the best cover yet.

Janet Rudolph said...

Looks like some great books for January... and an Alice Hoffman, too! Love your blog

Lesa said...

Janet, I always feel so honored when you say things like that. Thank you. And, thanks for Tweeting about it! I'm looking forward to the Alice Hoffman. I don't read everything she writes, but this one sounds up my alley.

Kaye Barley said...

The Lake of Dreams sounds interesting to me - the description reminds me a bit of Carol Goodman's work. AND a new Alice Hoffman to look forward to - Yay!!

Ingrid King said...

Wow - lots of wonderful books to look forward to. Of course, my most ancitipated one will be Blaize Clement's new one. Could that cover be any cuter?

Kay said...

I'm looking forward to several of these. Some new mysteries - love the start of a new series! Also, after enjoying Michael Koryta's SO COLD THE RIVER so much, I can't wait to read CYPRESS HOUSE. I think that Jen Forbus talked me into that one and my mystery group will be reading and discussing it in the spring. I like Greg Iles series as well - looking forward to a new one.

bermudaonion said...

I loved The Memory Keeper's Daughter, so I'm looking forward to your review of The Lake of Dreams.

CindyD said...

I love Katie Fforde and I didn't know she had a new one coming out! And I added four others to my TBR list. Already on for January were Steven Havill's DOUBLE PREY and I recently got hooked on Julie Hyzy's White House chef series and am looking forward to BUFFALO WEST WING.

Lesa said...


That's why I have The Lake of Dreams in my closet. I requested it since it sounded interesting.

Lesa said...

I agree with you, Ingrid. That cover counldn't be any cuter. I just hope Blaize doesn't lose any readers over the cover. I love it, but she doesn't write cozy mysteries.

Lesa said...


I'm sure Jen talked you into reading Michael Koryta. He's one of her favorites. I asked for Cypress House because they hooked me with the Florida connection.

Lesa said...


I never read The Memory Keeper's Daughter, but this book looked interesting.

Lesa said...

I'm with you on Steven Havill's Double Prey, Cindy, along with Katie Fforde. And, I want to read Buffalo West Wing!

Buy WoW Mage said...

i'm interested in th lake of dreams and the red garden. i think they are a good read=]

Lesa said...

Two of my selections as well, Buy WoW Mage. I hope they live up our expectations!

kathy d. said...

Can't possibly read all of this, plus my international mystery list, but avidly look forward to the reviews and comments.

A book club in itself!