Sunday, November 07, 2010

Sunday Salon - Unexpectedly Eighty and Other Adaptations by Judith Viorst

Judith Viorst's books of light poetry were always favorites of mine to use for Readers' Theatre.  There was often a poem that would work perfectly for an audience.  Her latest collection on life and aging is no exception.  Unexpectedly Eighty and Other Adaptations has some poems I can use use this week for my brown bag luncheon.

The verses might have a light tone, but everyone understands the serious nature of "Driving at Night," as people age, and friends all stop driving at night.  The poem, "Stopping by My Mirror on a Sunny Morning," might be addressed to eighty-year-olds, but any one of us who is aging might relate to it.  I'll probably read that one to my group, along with my favorite, "How I Know I'm Old."  It's a memory poem, reminiscing about what the writer remembers from youth.

Poetry seems perfect for Sunday Salon, a little light verse, with serious undertones.  And, this particular book, Judith Viorst's Unexpectedly Eighty and Other Adaptations will be perfect to use with my book group this week. 

Unexpectedly Eighty and Other Adaptations by Judith Viorst.  Simon &Schuster, ©2010. ISBN 9781439190296 (hardcover), 63p.

FTC Full Disclosure - Library book


Book Bird Dog said...

Nice to have your book of poetry published even at 80!

Lesa said...

And, Viorst still has some interesting comments to make about life, Book Bird Dog.

Maryann Miller said...

Thanks so much for the review. I remember when Judith was writing regularly for Redbook magazine. I was a huge fan, and have kind of lost touch with her work for a while. I am definitely adding this book to my Holiday wish list.

Lesa said...


I remember Judith's column for Redbook as well. It was a touching column, wasn't it? And, of course, she also wrote wonderful children's books, such as Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.

Bev Stephans said...

I remember trying to get my youngest son to read more. My eldest son and I would drag him to the library with us and try to entice him with all kinds of books. I remember how he loved Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. He took it out of the library so often, that I finally bought him a copy of his own.

It's so nice to see more of Judith Viorst's work. I'm definitely putting this on a to buy list.

Lesa said...


Out of all of my nieces and nephews, I have one who will never be a reader. He has read a few books about cats, and he's a wonderful cook, but reading just isn't his thing. I'm glad your youngest enjoyed some books!

It's been interesting reading Viorst's poetry books every ten years.