Sunday, October 17, 2010

And, the Anthony went to...

Congratulations to the winners of the Anthony Awards, announced at Bouchercon.  I'm so excited about the winners - there are a number of friends on this list.  And, I've seen Louise Penny, Sophie Littlefied, and Bryan Gruley all in the last few months.  Nice people do win mystery awards!

So, the winners are:

BEST NOVEL - THE BRUTAL TELLING - Louise Penny [Minotaur Books]

BEST FIRST NOVEL - A BAD DAY FOR SORRY - Sophie Littlefield [Minotaur Books]

BEST PAPERBACK ORIGINAL - STARVATION LAKE - Bryan Gruley [Touchstone]

BEST SHORT STORY - "On the House" - Hank Phillippi Ryan, QUARRY: Crime Stories by New England Writers, [Level Best Books]

BEST CRITICAL NONFICTION WORK - TALKING ABOUT DETECTIVE FICTION - P.D. James [Bodleian Library/Knopf]

6 comments:

kathy d. said...

Very good choices for the Anthony Award.

I've only read "Bad Day for Sorry," which I enjoyed. The main character is quite a feisty woman, always a good thing.

So glad you were able to meet three of the winning authors.

Bev Stephans said...

I know Louise is ecstatic about her win. The Brutal Telling is certainly deserving of the award.

I really must read Starvation Lake. Now that it has won two awards, I need to dig it out of my TBR pile.

Again, P.D. James won for her delightful non-fiction book. I think you would really like it Lesa.

Lesa said...

Kathy,

They were good choices for the Anthonys, weren't they?

I'm so pleased for the authors.

Lesa said...

I'm sure Louise was pleased, Bev. And, it's so nice that Michael was there when she won the award. I'm sure that helped to make it special.

kathy d. said...

I really must read this one by Louise Penny, had read two others, but this sounds like a must-read.

And "Starvation Lake" sounds good.

They will go onto my frighteningly huge TBR list, which is so big because of the excellent mystery blogs I read, which give me ideas constantly--and give me enjoyment to read all on their own.

Lesa said...

Louise Penny's latest was wonderful, Kathy. But, I'd definitely suggest you read The Brutal Telling first. At least Bury Your Dead is out, and you can go from one to the other.

Love your comment about excellent mystery blogs. I have so many books in that pile at the moment, that the latest batch is still sitting on the kitchen counter, until I decide where to put them.