Sunday, September 05, 2010

Maybe This Time by Jennifer Crusie

It's hard to believe it's been six years since Jennifer Crusie has had a book out that she didn't co-write with another author.  Her books with Bob Mayer have been fun, but the last one wasn't as good as earlier efforts.  It was time for another solo effort, and it was worth waiting for Maybe This Time.  Crusie's books are always humorous with terrific mature heroines.  Sparks fly in the relationship with a sexy man.   And, for me, the Ohio settings are appealing as well.

When Andie Miller storms into her ex-husband's law office, she's been divorced from North Archer for years.  She plans to turn over ten years of uncashed alimony checks, and announce her engagement to a writer, but North's request stops her in her tracks.   He's the guardian of two orphaned children in southern Ohio, and he offers her $10,000 a month, plus expenses and room and board, to "fix" the children.   Alice had a psychotic break, and Carter was expelled from school for setting fires.  For Andie, a teacher, it was a sucker-punch.  She couldn't walk away from "Two helpless kids who'd lost everyone they loved, going crazy in the middle of nowhere." 

Andie found more than she bargained for.  When she called North from the house, she reported, "The kids have been through a lot, and this place is Amityville, the House of Usher, and Hill House combined so their environment isn't working in their favor, but they're very bright and very tough and they've had each other."  And, now they have Andie.  She's a fighter.  And, if she has to fight a crazy housekeeper, a scheming TV reporter, and ghosts to save those children, she will.  One ghost may do her best to take over Andie's will, but Andie has a secret weapon.  North still loves her, and he has her back.

Jennifer Crusie's built a reputation for fun romantic novels, often with some suspense.   Andie Miller, the former Andromeda Archer, is another Crusie character with grit and warmth, one that you just have to love.  Alice and Carter are fascinatinag characters.  Then throw in North Archer, his humorous brother, Southie, along with a psychic, a possessive ghost,  and a ghost buster, and there's an intriguing mix.  If you haven't read one of Crusie's novels, start with Maybe This Time.   What more do you want than ghosts, romance, and suspense?

Jennifer Crusie's website is

Maybe This Time by Jennifer Crusie.  St. Martin's Press, ©2010. ISBN 9780312303785 (hardcover), 352p.

FTC Full Disclosure - Jennifer Crusie's publicist sent me a copy of the book when I requested it.


Kay said...

I keep meaning to read a Jennifer Crusie book. Don't know why I haven't. This one seems like a good choice, so I bought it for my Kindle. And...I see you've got a new Kindle too! Yea! Hope you enjoy.

Mason Canyon said...

Love the cover of this book. I haven't read any of Jennifer Crusie's book before but this one catch my attention. I have it in my TBR stack. I think now I'll move it up a little closer to the top. Enjoyed your review.

Thoughts in Progress

Lesa said...


My sister and I both enjoy Jennifer Crusie, and I'm sending her my copy of the book. We like the independent women, the humor, and the sexy men. These are fun books. I hope you enjoy it.

And, I'm enjoying my Kindle. I wasn't going to buy one, but found I needed it with the number of publishers who want to send me egalleys.

Lesa said...

I hope you get the chance to read it, Mason. Let me know what you think if you do!

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I like the idea of a deeper, more unusual romantic plot--and this one sounds like it delivers. Children aren't very common in romance novels--sounds like they add a lot to the book.

brizmus said...

sounds fabulous - like a Jennifer Cruise I won't be disappointed with!

Lesa said...

It does deliver, Elizabeth. And, the children are important all the way through, and very important in the end. They're essential to this plot. Even so, it's a terrific romance novel.

Lesa said...

Brizmus - Have there been some Jennifer Crusie novels that disappointed you? I had one that I wasn't crazy about, and the last Crusie/Mayer book wasn't up to the previous ones, but I like her books.

Kris said...

I don't believe I've read one of the author's novels, although I know I own at least one. This one sounds great though..I think I will take your advice and start with it.

Lesa said...

This one is fun, Kris, and a good example of Crusie's style. If you like it, you might like earlier ones.