Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Pepperoni Pizza Can Be Murder by Chris Cavender

I like cozy mysteries, but the most satisfying ones are ones in which the amateur sleuth has a good reason for investigating a murder.  In other words, how many times can the owner of a cookie or candy shop actually have a reason to push their way into an ongoing case?  Chris Cavender's Pepperoni Pizza Can Be Murder offers a legitimate reason for pizzeria owner Eleanor Swift to take action.

Acting as narrator, Eleanor clues the reader in quickly.  A dead body was found in the kitchen of her pizzeria, A Slice of Delight, with a thin crust pepperoni pizza and a bloody rolling pin.  And, since it was her delivery man who was the primary suspect, Eleanor and her sister, Maddy, had a reason to look for a killer.  If Eleanor can't be stopped when she's the victim of an armed robbery, why would Kevin Hurley, the police chief in Timber Ridge, North Carolina, think she can be stopped in a murder investigation?  This murder hit too close to home for Eleanor to be intimidated.

Once again, readers will find themselves rooting for the two feisty sisters in the sequel to A Slice of Murder.  Cavender gives us a likable cast of characters, humor, a killer that isn't the obvious suspect, and two great leading ladies.  Pepperoni Pizza Can Be Murder has every element a discriminating cozy mystery reader could want.

The website for this series is www.pizzamysteries.com.

Pepperoni Pizza Can Be Murder by Chris Cavender. Kensington Books, ©2010.  ISBN 9780758229502 (hardcover), 304p.

*****
FTC Full Disclosure - The author sent me an ARC, hoping I would review the book.

10 comments:

Joe Barone said...

I appreciate the disclosure. I'm also glad you reviewed the book. Isn't it interesting the various settings for cozy novels?

Kaye said...

This one sounds like so much fun and I've read positive comments about the book on GoodReads. Have a great week Lesa!

Lesa said...

Thank you, Joe. I just want you to know that an author might send me an ARC, but I never promise I review it, or that it will be a positive review if I do.

I do like the various settings for cozy mysteries. They are as varied as the occupations we all have in actual life.

Lesa said...

Thank you, Kaye. It is a fun mystery. And, I like the relationship between the two sisters.

bermudaonion said...

This sounds like fun to me too!

Mason Canyon said...

Sounds like another great cozy murder mystery to add to my wish list. Enjoyed the review.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Lesa said...

I hope you like it, Kathy, if you get a chance to read it.

Lesa said...

Thank you, Mason. And, is your wish list as large as my TBR pile? (sigh)

Kris said...

Sounds like another series I need to check out.

Lesa said...

And, you don't have many books to worry about yet, Kris, with only two in the series so far.