Monday, July 19, 2010

Gold Fever by Vicki Delany

If you're looking for entertainment, excitement, and history, you can't go wrong with one of Vicki Delany's Klondike Mysteries. Gold Fever, the second book in the series, is everything you could ask for in an historical mystery.

Fiona MacGillivray, owner of the Savoy Saloon and Dance Hall, would always remember the summer of 1898 in the mining town of Dawson, Canada, as a summer of mud. She should remember it as a summer of murder. Fiona, self-designated as "the most beautiful woman in the territory," has to deal with the whims of Irene, her most popular dance-hall girl, the threats of Joey LeBlanc, a notorious madam in town, and, maybe the worst threat of all, her growing son, Angus. Then, there's the murder of a former employee, and the stories a new arrival could tell about Fiona's past. And, there's Angus.

Fiona might be secretive about her past, determined to live a good life, but nothing is more important than her son. And, Angus, at twelve, is becoming a man who wants to be a Mountie. He is also growing to be a kind, considerate young man, the type of boy who would take a prostitute, an Indian named Mary, under his protection, and insist his mother find her a place to live, and a job. And, when Mary is accused of murder, Angus is determined to find the actual killer. And, a determined mother will do anything to protect her son.

In Gold Fever, Delany reveals a little more of Fiona MacGillivray's past. It's an exciting historical adventure, giving readers a view of the not-so-glamorous life in the Klondike during the Gold Rush. 1898 was a time of saloons, dance halls, gambling, and prostitution. But, a thriving town needed laundries, dress shops, restaurants, and police protection in the form of the Mounties. Through Angus' eyes, we see a thriving community, while noticing the poverty and the injustice. Through Fiona's eyes, we see opportunity despite hardship. There's a wealth of details based on research. Those details, along with the characters, bring Vicki Delany's Gold Fever to life.

Vicki Delany's website is www.vickidelany.com

Gold Fever by Vicki Delany. RendezVous Crime, ©2010. ISBN 9781926607023 (paperback), 292p.

*****
FTC Full Disclosure - The author sent me my book, in hopes I would review it.

17 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

It sounds like a well-researched book set in an interesting time in history. Thanks for sharing, Lesa.

kathy d. said...

This sounds like a good book, with history and understanding of the social and economic situation and sympathetic characters.

If I ever dig out from the TBR pile (which may not happen for ages since I have a list of global mysteries to buy and many sitting on the pile), I will try to read this book.

Have you read other books by Vicki Delany?

I love to read about Canada, especially in August, when it's so hot.

Did you read "The Tenderness of Wolves"? The sense of place was amazing. I felt cold reading it.

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Elizabeth. Delany's Klondike mysteries reveal the story of a place I wasn't familiar with, so I've really enjoyed them.

Lesa said...

kathy d -

Yes, I've read the earlier Klondike mystery. And, I'm a BIG fan of Delany's Smith and Winters contemporary mysteries set in Trafalgar, British Columbia. I like the eccentric town, and the characters.

You summed up Gold Fever very nicely in that first statement, even though you haven't read it. I understand what you said about digging a book out of that TBR pile.

Kay said...

Thanks for reviewing this one, Lesa. I want to read the two books in this series. I love Vicki Delany's books, as you know. I'm anxiously waiting for the new Smith/Winters book coming in November. I was lucky enough to get an e-galley of it, but I'm not going to read it until closer to the publish date.

Anyway, since we are talking about the Klondike series, I can't wait to see what's she done in this setting and time period. I love her books.

Man of la Books said...

Hello, I found you blog through Library Thing and wanted to say hi.

Lesa said...

Oh, a new Smith/Winters book! Thanks for mentioning it, Kay. I really like that series.

I think you're going to like the Klondike series as well.

Lesa said...

Welcome, Man of la Books! I hope you find enough interesting material to return. Thanks for commenting.

Vicki Delany said...

Thanks to you all, particurly Lesa. I am really looking foward to being at The Teague in March and spending some time in Arizona. Will be at PP with a couple of my Canadian friends the night before. And, yes, the new Molly Smith book is Negative Image, due out Nov. 1.

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Vicki. I'm looking forward to seeing you at LCC in March, and then here at Velma Teague. And, I'm really looking forward to Negative Image!

Beth Hoffman said...

SOLD! How could I resist the first line you wrote: "If you're looking for entertainment, excitement, and history, you can't go wrong with one of Vicki Delany's Klondike Mysteries."

The series sounds fabulous. Thanks so much, Lesa!

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Beth. I think you'll enjoy the characters of Fiona and Angus. You're always looking for fun characters.

kathy d. said...

This blog is good and exciting; cannot wait to read this. I think I should start with the first book. Is this right?

The more I think of it, the more I think I'll just read in August, no matter what. And this book, definitely.

Lesa said...

Yes, kathy, you do want to start with the first book. It's the best introduction of the characters. Why weren't you going to read in August?

kathy d. said...

Yes, I am building a good collection of books to be the focus of my August "reading vacation," where I'll go all around the world virtually, the easy way with no airport waiting lines and other hassles.

But there are, of course, tasks to be done and other things to do. However, the more I think about it, the more inclined I am to just let those things go and read like crazy i.e., take a real vacation but read.

Lesa said...

Oh, that's right. Your around the world vacation. I think the Klondike would be a nice addition. Well, even on vacation, I do a few things. Enjoy it, though!

Anonymous said...

Helped me with my homework!