Tuesday, July 20, 2010

365 Oddball Days in Dodgers History by John Snyder

Full disclosure. The Dodgers train in Glendale, Arizona. I was lucky enough to meet famed announcer Vin Scully at the groundbreaking for the stadium here. And, Jim and I were Dodgers fans for years, until they traded my beloved catcher, Mike Piazza. So, it was natural to pick John Snyder's 365 Oddball Days in Dodgers History as a memorial book for Jim.

I'm sure it's difficult to come up with 365 interesting stories about a team, even with the history of the Dodgers. So, some of the book became a little repetitious. But, there were enough interesting facts to make the book interesting. There were questions of the day for the winter months, and, often "On this day" events during baseball season. For instance, May 14, 1998 is the day the Dodgers traded Mike Piazza to the Marlins for four players. Snyder says, "In retrospect, the Dodgers should have paid Piazza the money he wanted and kept him in Los Angeles for six more years." There are stories of Sandy Koufax, Ebbets Field, Jackie Robinson, and my favorite moment from baseball, Kirk Gibson's home run trot. There's Don Larsen's perfect game in the World Series. The Dodgers even have a connection to the Frisbee Dog World Championship.

With enough facts for even the diehard fanatic, 365 Oddball Days in Dodgers History is a fun compilation for the Dodgers fan, or the baseball trivia fan.

365 Oddball Days in Dodgers History by John Snyder. Clerisy Press, ©2010. ISBN 9781578604524 (paperback), 384p.

FTC Full Disclosure - Library Book


le0pard13 said...

Meeting the legendary Vin Scully? Wow. This sounds like a great book, one that my kids would enjoy. And yeah, there were some bonehead decisions throughout Dodger history. Thanks very much for this, mi compadre ;-).

Lesa said...


Did you have the chance to meet Don Winslow yet? I'll have to check your blog.

Yes! You don't know how excited I was when I met Vin Scully, got his picture and autograph. It's too bad I couldn't record his voice at the same time. He was the announcer for the groundbreaking, which was really fun because of the chance to hear and see him in person.

le0pard13 said...

Tonight is the night! 7 - 9 PM, I'll be at The Mystery Bookstore with Mr. Winslow. So, looking forward to this (I hope to post some pix). Thanks, Lesa.

Lesa said...

He should really like that book, Michael, with the comments from your friends. I hope you do get pictures!

Bev Stephans said...

This book looks like a good gift for my son. He is a baseball nut and I'm not far behind.

A bit of Trivia.

Q: In the 1990's, 2 players played for 2 different World Series teams. Who are they?

A: Rick Dempsey (catcher) played for the Orioles and the Dodgers and Kirk Gibson (outfielder) played for the Tigers and the Dodgers.

Since your husband was such a baseball fan, you probably already knew that.

Lesa said...

I didn't know it, Bev, but Jim probably would have. Two of my favorite teams, the Tigers and the Dodgers for Kirk Gibson, and now he's the interim manager of the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Bev Stephans said...

I just wanted to let you know I ordered the book. If my son doesn't like it, I'm sure I will.

Bev Stephans said...

Rick Dempsey is doing the pre-game and after-game (well in the case of the Orioles, it should be post-mortum)show for the Orioles.

Lesa said...

I hope you both enjoy the book, Bev. I like that - the post-mortem! Very good. Jim would have liked that since he had a friend he gave emotional support to because she was an Orioles fan.

Bev Stephans said...

You are going to think that I'm some kind of idiot. When I mentioned the World Series, it should have been the 1980's not the 1990's.

Then I went and mispelled post-mortem. I should have "stood in bed"!

Lesa said...

Not at all, Bev. Shoot, I spelled pantyhose as 2 words today, and only corrected it after Kay spelled it correctly. It's not us. Those darn computers make mistakes all the time!