Friday, June 04, 2010

Pray for Silence by Linda Castillo

If a thriller is any grittier than Linda Castillo's books, I won't read it. And, it's quite possible that the only reason I read her books are because they're set in northern Ohio in Amish country, an area I'm very familiar with. Pray for Silence, her latest thriller, is definitely not for the squeamish.

Painters Mill, Ohio had 5,300 residents, one-third of them Amish. Violence wasn't an everyday occurrence in the town, particularly in the Amish community. Police Chief Kate Burkholder and her small team had really never seen a killing scene as brutal as the one at the farm of the Amos Plank family. None of the seven family members had been spared, and the killing of the two teenage daughters was particularly brutal. It was evident to everyone on the scene that "There are monsters living among us."

Although Kate was determined to control the investigation, she called on the BCI, the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Apprehension and Identification, hoping John Tomasetti would assist in the case. Despite their troubled pasts, or, maybe because of them, she and Tomasetti had become more than coworkers on a previous case. Now, she wants his help, and his presence, although she's afraid it will stir up his memories of the loss of his wife and daughters to a violent killer.

Tomasetti already has problems. He's forced to take a leave of absence because of past history, just when Kate needs his help. She knows, "He's a troubled man with shadows so deep I haven't been able to penetrate them." What she doesn't realize is that her own history, and her identification with the troubled Plank daughter, Mary, will lead her to her own tragic depths of emotion.

Castillo doesn't spare the reader, or her characters. The author vividly portrays violence against a peaceful group of people. It is hard to see how Kate or Tomasetti can continue in their jobs, with their own histories, and their resulting actions because of the past. I haven't even decided if all of the graphic detail was necessary in this book. It's enough to give a reader, let alone Kate Burkholder, nightmares. Pray for Silence is a graphic story of evil. Be prepared for a story that makes you want to shut your eyes even as you read. And, even at the end, the reader will wonder if the two wounded heroes will ever be whole again after their own tragedies, and the brutal nature of the crimes in Pray for Silence.

Pray for Silence by Linda Castillo. St. Martin's Minotaur, ©2010. ISBN 9780312374983 (hardcover), 320p.

Linda Castillo's website is www.lindacastillo.com

*****
FTC Full Disclosure - The publisher sent me a review copy, in hopes I would review it.

12 comments:

Dru said...

wow...this is on my TBR list and now I really want to read it. Thanks for the review.

Pat R. said...

I have this book on order and can't wait.

Lesa said...

Interesting how different people react to a review, Dru. I'm sure there are some who are going to tell me it's too gritty for them. I hope you enjoy it!

Lesa said...

I'm sorry, Pat. When I picked it up to read, I didn't realize it actually comes out a little later this month. But, once I started it, it was too late to go back. You can't quit on that story.

Tina said...

Thanks for the grit alert. I find I have to be 'in the mood' to read books like that, and while I have this on the TBR list, now I'll know to wait until it's the right time to read it. As always, your reviews are such a help.

Kay said...

I'm excited about this book and don't mind the gritty. I know my reading is a quite a bit darker than yours part of the time. I'll get this one read soon. It comes out later in June, doesn't it? The 22nd or something?

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Tina. I want readers to know what they're getting into with this book. I liked it, but it's quite graphic.

Lesa said...

Yes, Kay, I think it's the 22nd. I should have read it later in the month, but once I started, I wasn't going to put it down.

kathy d. said...

It sounds riveting and am glad you explained the grittiness. I can read some books like this but I skip parts which I cannot bear, and then move on. It's never ruined a story for me to do that. I get the point.

Lesa said...

I'm with you, Kathy. And, as someone on DL said today, in Castillo's books, you know how much the violence hurts the main characters as well. They are as sick over the violence as the reader feels at times. And, it is a riveting book.

caite said...

I loved the first Burkholder book, and I just found out I will shortly be getting this one from the Library Things Early Reviewer program. Gosh, now I hope it comes very quickly.

Lesa said...

I hope it does, too, Caite. I can't wait to see what you think!