Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Grace Under Pressure by Julie Hyzy

Today is release date for Grace Under Pressure, the first book in Julie Hyzy's new mystery series. And, none of the fans of Hyzy's award-winning White House Chef series should be disappointed, unless they only read those books for the recipes.

Since childhood, Grace Wheaton has loved Marshfield Manor, the 150 room mansion in her hometown of Emberstowne. Now that she's assistant curator, she's eager to pass her ninety day probation, and prove she's up to the task of tending the historic house. A rampaging man throwing chairs in the two story Birdcage while tea is served gives her the opportunity to take charge. But, the shooting death of the curator while the rampage is going on pushes her into the new job a little faster than she had planned.

Suddenly, Grace is in the middle of a murder investigation, and she's horrified to discover the lack of security at the Manor. A private investigator snuck in and out of the house, and it's easy to look like one of the staff. The administrative assistant is a busybody who doesn't like Grace, and everyone seems to want a piece of Bennett Marshfield, the Manor's owner. Grace can't do much to maintain the house she owns, but she'll risk everything to save Marshfield Manor.

Julie Hyzy's fans have grown to love Ollie Paras, the White House chef. They're going to be equally impressed with Grace Wheaton, a young, competent woman taking over a job she loves. Hyzy is skilled at creating unique series characters. Readers will love Grace, and her roommates, Bruce and Scott. Grace Under Pressure marks the successful launch of a new series. It's going to be fun to watch Grace claim her job at Marshfield Manor in the course of the series.

Julie Hyzy's website is www.juliehyzy.com

Grace Under Pressure by Julie Hyzy. Berkley Prime Crime, ©2010. ISBN 9780425235218 (paperback), 310p.

*****
FTC Full Disclosure - The publisher sent my copy of the book, in hopes I would review it.

19 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Yay! Release day! I'm so excited about Julie's release and can't wait to get over to the store and pick up my copy. :)

Cleo Coyle said...

Wonderful review - and so exciting for Julie. (Not just the release of a new book today, but the launch of a whole new series.) I already love Chef Ollie from her award-winning White House Chef mysteries. I know I'll love Grace Wheaton, too. :)

Lesa said...

I agree, Elizabeth. Yay! Release day for a new Julie Hyzy book.

Lesa said...

Yes, Cleo, you're going to love Grace Wheaton. Did I jumpstart release day OK?

Julie Hyzy said...

Thank you, Lesa! I'm so happy you enjoyed it. I am really loving writing for Grace and I'm just ecstatic and excited to be celebrating Release Day today!
Thank you!!!

Hugs,
Julie

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Julie. And, I just posted the review on DorothyL, although readers seldom comment about traditional mysteries there. Good luck with the book, and the series!

Chèli said...

It's at the top of my list for the next stop at the bookstore!

Chèli
Cheli's Shelves

Mason Canyon said...

Great review. Can't wait to read this. I love Julie's other series and I'm sure this will be a favorite too.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Avery Aames said...

Picked up my copy yesterday and I am loving this book! What a fun pace! ~Avery

AveryAames.com
Mystery Lovers' Kitchen

Ingrid King said...

I pre-ordered this on Amazon, so it should be here any day now! I can't wait to read it, I love Julie's White House series.

Lesa said...

Cheli,

There are some good June titles out there, so I'm glad you're picking up Julie's on your next bookstore outing.

Lesa said...

Mason,

I think you're going to like Grace as much as you like Ollie.

Lesa said...

Isn't it a fun pace, Avery? I went through it in one day.

Lesa said...

Any day now, Ingrid. I predict you'll enjoy it.

Dru said...

Congrats Julie on your release day. Grace Under Pressure is a good read.

Laineshots said...

Just finished "Grace Under Pressure." What a great start to a new series! Nicely-paced, with characters I look forward to seeing again.

Lesa said...

I'm glad you liked Grace Under Pressue, Laineshots!

Kris said...

This is the first I've heard of this book..thanks to your review it's now on my wish list. It sounds so good!

Lesa said...

It is good, Kris. My sister emailed me this morning, and said she'd finished it, and she was letting a couple Julie Hyzy fans know about this one. She really liked it, too.