Saturday, May 01, 2010

May 1 - Awards, Summaries & Thoughts

This year, I had mixed feelings about May 1. Jim and I had our first date twenty-seven years ago today. We always celebrated May Day rather than Valentine's Day because this was our day. In some ways, it was a harder day to get through than his birthday. I even sold his motorbike, and it was taken away today.

So, it somehow seems fitting that my blog helped me get through it. This is the spot Jim chose for his final epitaph. And, now all of you have celebrated the blog.

I found out this morning I won the 2010 Spinetingler Award for Best Reviewer. That's two years in a row that you've voted for me to win this award, since it's an award given by readers' votes. So, thank you. You can check out the awards at Spinetinglermag.com.

Bill Crider also made my day. My sister, Christie, called last night to tell me there was a column in the July issue of Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine that mentioned my blog. So, I ran around last night, and failed to find the July issue. Would you believe I finally found it today at one of our libraries? (Yay, libraries!)

Bill Crider's column is Blog Bytes. He discusses three blogs in the July issue. The Stiletto Gang's blog is covered. That's written by Evelyn David, Marilyn Meredith, Maggie Barbieri, Rachel Brady, Misa Ramirez, and Susan McBride. He also discussed Mysterious Matters, an anonymous blog.

I hope Bill doesn't mind that I'm quoting his paragraph about my blog. Thank you, Bill, for your kind words.

"If you're looking for fine, thoughtful reviews, you should be aware of Lesa's Book Critiques (http://lesasbookcritiques.blogspot.com), with Lesa Holstine, a librarian in Glendale, Arizona. Lesa's the winner of the 2009 Spinetingler Award for Best Reviewer, just in case you were wondering if you could trust her taste. She occasionally writes other kinds of posts, including those touting the "hot titles" for some particular month. Or she might write about her library's brown-bag luncheons, quarterly events where she talks to library patrons about her favorite books from the preceding three months. Lesa recently lost her husband, Jim, to cancer, and her personal posts on that occasion are both insightful and moving. They're well worth looking for among the reviews."

Bill Crider blogs at http://billcrider.blogspot.com

I really have to thank Bill for summing up May Day perfectly, including Jim in the discussion of my blog.

So, thank you to Susan for buying the bike. I know how much she loved Jim, and she'll ride it with those memories. Thank you to everyone who voted for me for the Spinetingler Award. Christie, thanks for calling to let me know about the article. And, one more thank you to Bill Crider for summarizing the day.

18 comments:

J. Kingston Pierce said...

Congratulations, Lesa. You really deserved this award.

Cheers,
Jeff

bermudaonion said...

I'm glad there was a silver lining in the clouds for you today. I'm sure it's still been a tough day for you. I've had you in my thoughts.

le0pard13 said...

Congrats, Lesa! Well deserved.

Kay said...

Big, big, big hugs to you today. Lesa. I know it was difficult but what a tribute to you and your writing abilities with an added nod to your Jim. The award is well deserved. I'm thrilled that you've received it two times in a row. And I know that Jim is up in his coffee shop in the sky celebrating with you. :-)

Bev Stephans said...

Congratulations on the award! I can't think of anyone more deserving. Your blog is wonderful and I'm so glad I found it.

Kerrie said...

Well done on the award Lesa

Lesa said...

Thank you, everyone! I really appreciate your votes on this award, and the good wishes. They all mean a lot to me.

Thank you.

Mason Canyon said...

Congratulations on receiving the 2010 Spinetingler Award for Best Reviewer. Well deserved. In addition, congrats on the write up in the Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Bill Crider said...

I'm always happy to make someone's day, and congratulations on winning again!

Kevin R. Tipple said...

Congrats on the award and the mention in Bill Crider's column. Good work!

Kevin

kathy d. said...

Congratulations on your reviews and delightful blog.

You bring a lot of cheer and fun to readers' days (or nights) and good book suggestions, as well as lovely cats and beautiful book covers.

Inside A Book said...

Baby steps...just one day at a time. Some days will be glorious and little gifts and some days will...not. I'm so impressed with you. It's great that you are getting some perks through it all. Your work deserves the accolades!!

Congratulations!!

Kaye Barley said...

Lesa - Many congrats on the lovely things brought your way! Well deserved, sweetie - every one and many more to come!

Lesa said...

Thank you, again. It was a good day, overall. And, I ended it by finishing one good book, The End Game by Finger, and starting another, A Timely Vision. Nothing to take yourself away like good books. The reviews will be up this week.

Sandra Ruttan said...

Congratulations Lesa. We value your contributions to the genre, and I'm glad it helped put a silver lining on a difficult day for you.

Lesa said...

Thank you SO much, Sandra. It did change the outlook for my day yesterday. I hope to continue to contribute to the mystery genre. Right now, I'm beefing up my knowledge so I can write the Mystery/Crime Fiction chapter for a reference book. Our focus is the past five years, so I'm looking at award winners, popular mysteries on DL, and other sites. I hope I can continue to contribute for a number of years.

Maria said...

XOOXOOXOOOO!!!

Maria

Lesa said...

Thank you, Maria!