Thursday, May 06, 2010

Making Rounds with Oscar by David Dosa, M.D.

You've probably seen Oscar on television, or heard about him on the news. But, until you've read Dr. David Dosa's bestseller, Making Rounds with Oscar: The Extraordinary Gift of an Ordinary Cat, you haven't really met Oscar.

To Dr. Dosa, Oscar was the black-and-white tabby that lived on the third floor at Steere House Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, the floor for Alzheimers' patients, and patients with dementia. Dosa was a geriatrician who worked there, but he never cared for cats, and thought Oscar was nothing special, a cat that didn't have a reputation for being sociable. But, it was Mary Miranda, the day nurse, a maternal figure, who said, "Oscar only spends time with patients who are about to die."

So, Dosa started his own study of Oscar. He talked to family members of patients who had died, with Oscar tucked in the bed. And, each family said Oscar only showed up the day the patient was dying, curling himself up on the bed, purring, and, somehow providing comfort for the patient, and the family. Everyone had glowing words for the cat that acted as a death warning. There was even the story of Oscar racing from one patient who had died to make it to the bed of another dying person.

In the course of his investigations, Dosa learned from the survivors. He learned to be more understanding, compassionate, and empathetic. And, his doubts about Oscar changed. Although he still looked for a scientific explanation of Oscar's knowledge, he said, "I was starting to think of Oscar...as a sort of gentle guide who could take people from someplace scary to one more forgiving."

I think so many of us hunger for that connection to animals. It's why books such as Making Rounds with Oscar become bestsellers. There's a fascination with the mysteries around death, and animals. No matter why we read these books, this book is a beautiful story. One survivor said if birth is a miracle, death should be considered a miracle as well. Oscar's story puts death in a context of a beautiful, sometimes painful, but beautiful, miracle.


David Dosa's website is www.daviddosa.com

Making Rounds with Oscar by David Dosa, M.D., Hyperion, ©2010. ISBN 9781401323233 (hardcover), 225p.

*****
FTC Full Disclosure - Library book

14 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I think I *have* heard of Oscar. On "60 Minutes" or something? Such an amazing story. Thanks for sharing this one, Lesa.

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Lesa said...

It is truly amazing, Elizabeth, especially since the author was doubtful. He had to be convinced of Oscar's ability. I know Oscar was featured all over the place last year.

bermudaonion said...

What a story! I hope that Oscar brings comfort to many more people.

Lesa said...

I hope he does, too, Kathy. It's a beautiful story.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I've heard so much about this book - it sounds so sweet!

Vivienne said...

I recently bought this book and just can't wait to read it.

Lesa said...

Diane,

I don't know if sweet is the word I'd use for this book. It's very moving, but since it deals with dementia patients who are dying, I don't think I'd call it sweet. I hope you try it, though.

Lesa said...

Let me know what you think, Vivienne, when you finish it.

Net said...

All have given very good views of their.




Book a Model

Lesa said...

Thank you, Net.

Beth Hoffman said...

Oh, I know I will love this book. Thanks, Lesa!

Lesa said...

It will probably make you cry, Beth. I cried over it, but it's a wonderful book. (And, for cat lovers - no, Oscar doesn't die. That wasn't why I cried over the book.)

Fashion Mantra said...

nice ,thanx for sharing
http://fashion-pakistan-mantra.blogspot.com

Lesa said...

My pleasure, Fashion Mantra. Thank you.