Friday, March 05, 2010

Sprinkle with Murder by Jenn McKinlay

What can seem cozier than a cupcake bakery in Old Town Scottsdale? Well, it might not seem so sweet when the owner of Fairy Tale Cupcakes finds a dead bride-to-be clutching a cupcake. Despite murder, Jenn McKinlay's first mystery in the Cupcake Bakery mystery series, Sprinkle with Murder, is still a treat.

Melanie Cooper, Angie DeLaura and Tate Harper had been best friends since sixth grade. Twenty-three years later, Melanie and Angie are co-owners of Fairy Tale Cupcakes in Old Town Scottsdale, AZ, and Tate is an investor. It seems as if nothing can break up their friendship, until Tate becomes engaged to a fashion designer from hell, and asks Melanie to make cupcakes for the wedding reception. Angie refuses to help, so Mel is left to create five unique cupcake recipes for bridezilla. It's too bad she's the one who finds the bride-to-be dead at her business, clutching a cupcake. It doesn't help that a photographer snaps a picture of Mel and Tate clutching each other. Now, they're the primary suspects in a murder, with rumors of a love triangle. It's up to Melanie to save her reputation, and her business.

Sprinkle with Murder marks the delectable debut of a new series. It's centered around the three friends, and Fairy Tale Cupcakes, but the cast is also made up of interesting family members. Angie and her seven older brothers add the humor to the story, along with Mel's mom. Family, murder, a little humor, and best friends. What more do you want in an enjoyable mystery? How about cupcake recipes and an attractive setting? Jenn McKinlay's new series is as satisfying as a childhood cupcake.

Jenn McKinlay's website is , and you can also catch her at Mystery Lovers Kitchen.

Sprinkle with Murder by Jenn McKinlay. Berkley Prime Crime, ©2010. ISBN 9780425233429 (paperback), 240p.

FTC Full Disclosure - I received my copy from the publisher, in hopes I would review it.


ACEsoft said...

Nice blog for new generation


Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Sounds like a recipe for success! (Sorry, I can't resist puns.) :) Jenn is a friend, but I'd look forward to this one regardless. Great review!

Mystery Writing is Murder

Lesa said...

Thank you, Alstair.

Joe Barone said...

Sometimes it amazes me the settings cozy writers can come up with.

Lesa said...

Oh, I'm with you, Elizabeth - "delectible, sweet, treat, etc." The words just want to be related to this book. I really enjoyed it, and I liked Jenn's characters, and her setting. The setting is perfect! Just an enjoyable mystery.

Lesa said...

Joe, If you read the introduction to Sprinkle with Murder, you'll see how Jenn came up with this one. But, you're right. If someone does it as a business, a cozy writer might use it as a setting.

bermudaonion said...

Sounds like a fun mystery and the cupcake recipes would be a big bonus. Of course, my cupcakes never turn out very pretty, so I'd rather buy them at a bakery.

Jenn McKinlay said...

Hi Lesa,

Thanks for the "sweet" review!
I'm delighted that you liked the book.
I'm looking forward to meeting you
at Authors@the Teague on May 8th!


Kay said...

Lesa, I'm about a third through this book right now and loving it. It's hilarious and such fun. I'm starving for cupcakes. And...I'm enjoying being able to picture the settings after my recent trip to Scottsdale.

Jenn is coming to the Teague in May. See, we just have to move to Phoenix and I'll come volunteer for you at your library and get to go to all these events plus the ones at the Poisoned Pen. What do you think? Now to convince H.

Lesa said...

WEll, there are bakery owners that are glad you'd rather buy cupcakes there, Bermudaonion. And, after reading this book, you may be heading straight to a bakery!

Lesa said...


I"m glad you mentioned Authors @ The Teague. Did you see that I might be at the Poisoned Pen tomorrow to get to meet you there? But, thanks for promoting our event!

Lesa said...

Kay! I'd take you as a volunteer in a second. Wouldn't that be great? And, I'd have another friend to meet at the Poisoned Pen for events. Now, talk to that husband of yours - keep mentioning golf.

Clea Simon said...

Cupcake shops have just caught on here in the Boston area (we now have at least three!), so this seems quite timely as well as sweet.

However, reading your comments makes me sorry that I live up here and not down in AZ (well, that and the weather....)

thanks for the review!

Lesa said...

The weather definitely, Clea. And, I'm ready to hit cupcake shops anytime!

Mary said...

This sounds like a fun mystery, adding to list : )

Kris said...

I ordered a copy of this book earlier in the week, so glad you enjoyed it! Now I'm even more excited to read it. And cupcake recipes? bonus! I love to bake so I see myself baking some cupcakes while reading this one.

Lesa said...

Mary & Kris,

I think you're both going to like this one. And, if you like to bake, you're right, Kris. That's an added bonus!