Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Our Lady of Immaculate Deception by Nancy Martin

No one would really want to mess with Elizabeth Spann Craig's Myrtle Clover. And, Sophie Littlefield's Stella Hardesty scares the local men to death. Now, add Nancy Martin's Roxy Abruzzo to the list of women who can take care of herself. As Nancy said yesterday, Roxy certainly isn't genteel, and she is inappropriate at times, but if readers are ready for a good time, Roxy can provide it, in more ways than one, in the debut mystery in a new series, Our Lady of Immaculate Deception.

Roxy's a single mother, struggling to make ends meet in a rough neighborhood in Pittsburgh. Roxy doesn't want her daughter, Sage, to make her mistakes, so she struggled to send her to a good school, and is hoping she goes to Yale. And, if Roxy has to scrounge on the estates of the wealthy, with her architectural salvage business, she'll do it to pay the bills. Once in a while, there might be a find such as a Greek statue found on the Hyde estate. It's too bad Julius Hyde was also killed the night Roxy and her employee, Nooch, were scavenging. That Greek statue could become trouble when a lawyer comes looking for it, a drug-addicted member of the Hyde family is interested, and there could be an international scandal. Poor Roxy. She was hoping to make a little money, not have all of Pittsburgh looking into her business.

Roxy Abruzzo definitely has business she'd like to keep hidden. Everyone seems to think she's now working for her Great-uncle Carmine, head of a local crime organization. She'd like to keep her sexual escapades a secret from her daughter. And, smart as Sage is, she's just added another problem to Roxy's plate. But, Roxy has her good qualities. She has a loyalty to an old friend, Nooch, that overrides common sense. She's trying to pay her own way through life. And, she wants her daughter to have a better life. So, can she be forgiven if her activities are a little shady?

Nancy Martin kicks off her new series with a murder mystery embedded in the story of a complicated woman's life. She's right. Roxy isn't designed for readers who want a nice heroine. She's not always nice. She's a sex-addict who uses men. But, she's a complex character, trying to improve the life of her daughter, and abused women. She's a character for those of us who championed Sophie Littlefield's debut, A Bad Day for Sorry. Both books have a sense of humor, and a sense of honor underneath a shady exterior. Our Lady of Immaculate Deception introduces a character to watch for, in more ways than one.

Nancy Martin's website is www.NancyMartinMysteries.com

Our Lady of Immaculate Deception by Nancy Martin. St. Martin's Minotaur, ©2010. ISBN 9780312573720 (hardcover), 320p.

*****
FTC Full Disclosure - My review copy was sent by the publisher, in hopes I would review it.

16 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I love that the protagonist is a single mom who isn't afraid to speak her own mind. I'm looking forward to this one!

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Lesa said...

I'm sure you're not going to be disappointed, Elizabeth!

Mary said...

This has been on my wish list since the day I read about it. And now your review has me moving it up the list : ) Can't wait to read it!

Lesa said...

Did you read Nancy's blog here yesterday, Mary? That should really have the book moving up on your wish list.

Mary said...

I DID read it and (looking back just now) see that I didn't comment like I'd meant to. I miss my memory, *sigh*.
At any rate, I prefer a flawed, less-genteel protagonist - so much more interesting and fun!

Lesa said...

Oh, Roxy is fun. I'm glad you had the chance to read Nancy's comments. I'm sure that helped to entice you even more, Mary.

Kay said...

I'm looking forward to reading this one. Think it might be a good one for my mystery book group. We are losing our only male member because he is moving. The ladies would like this I think! Well, he probably would too, but again, is moving.

Kaye said...

I just skimmed your review for now- don't want to read anything too specific since the book is on hold for me at the library. Can't wait to read it.

Lori's Reading Corner said...

I loved this book!

Clea Simon said...

I read your review after reading Nancy's guest post and now I'm more sold - Roxy sounds like a perfect heroine for our times. Real, funny, gutsy...

Lesa said...

So, you have a feisty group of women in your book group, Kay? I think a number of women will cheer for Roxy, despite her flaws. And, which of us is perfect, anyways?

Lesa said...

I'm with you, Kaye. So many times, I don't read the reviews when I want to read the book. I go back and read them afterwards.

Lesa said...

Lori! Good to hear you loved the book. Nancy will be pleased.

Lesa said...

Well, Clea, between Nancy's blog and my review, no one should think Roxy is an innocent heroine. I'm glad we sold you!

Sophie Littlefield said...

This one's going on my TBR, too! Thanks for introducing me to it!

Lesa said...

Sophie, I have no doubt that you're going to like Roxy and Our Lady of Immaculate Deception! This character is right up your alley. (And, I'm going to the Tucson Festival of Books next weekend, and coming to your panel! So, I'll see you there.)