Monday, March 08, 2010

Murder in the Palais Royal by Cara Black

Cara Black returns for Authors @ The Teague on Thursday, March 11 at 1:30, and she has some explaining to do. One week in October 1997 must have been the worst week in the life of her character, Aimée Leduc. I'm looking forward to Cara's discussion of her latest novel, Murder in the Palais Royal.

Aimée was hot and heavy with her latest bad boy, a fashion designer, when she received the call that her business partner, René Friant, had been shot and was in the hospital. "In the course of a few days René had been shot; Nicholas had died before his parole, a suicide or a murder victim; Clémence had been strangled; and Tracfin and been set on her tail. It all linked somehow. Only she didn't know how."

Who would want to set Aimée up for a fall? The private investigator is accused of shooting René, and her alibi won't admit he was with her at the time. It doesn't help that there's an enormous deposit of 100,000 francs in the business account for Leduc Investigation. Now, she's under investigation by the government for her financial dealings. And, her airline ticket to New York and packed bags don't help. Melac, the police investigator, is too cynical to accept that someone is out to get Aimée. She'll have to track down the culprit without the help of her partner or the police.

Somewhere in Aimée Leduc's past is the clue to Murder in the Palais Royal. And, whether that clue goes all the way back to her absent terrorist mother, or links to one of Aimée's own cases, is for Aimée Leduc herself only to discover. And, maybe Cara Black can give readers a few hints on Thursday.

Cara Black's website is www.carablack.com, and she's one of the six crime writers blogging at Murder is Everywhere.

Murder in the Palais Royal. Soho Press, ©2010. ISBN 9781569476208 (hardcover), 291p.

*****
FTC Full Disclosure - I read a review copy, sent by the publisher, in hope I would review it.

14 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I like the idea of a private eye being a suspect...kind of turns things around a little bit!

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Mason Canyon said...

Another interesting book to check out. This plot will keep us guessing.

bermudaonion said...

At first I thought this was non-fiction! It sounds like a book I would enjoy.

Kay said...

I really am going to start this series this year. So many series. How lovely. Hope your event with Cara Black goes well. I love the covers on her books.

Lesa said...

Yes, it does turn things around a little bit, Elizabeth. And, she's a serious suspect. Even her partner thinks she might have shot him.

Lesa said...

It will keep you guessing to the end, Mason.

Lesa said...

I'm sorry, Kathy. I didn't mean to make the book sound like nonfiction!

Lesa said...

Kay,

The covers of Cara's books are made from photos she takes in Paris. I love that! And, Cara's fun, so I'm sure Thursday will be fine.

Ingrid King said...

I heard Cara speak at a local bookstore a while ago, she was fun and fascinating to listen to. I have yet to read the series, but it's on my list.

Lesa said...

Since I came in mid-series, this one put things together for me, Ingrid. You could actually start with this one, if you'd like.

Clea Simon said...

I always enjoy her books and am jealous that you go to meet her! Cara Black's books are as close to a vacation in Paris as I'm likely to come in the near future, though, truth be told, I'm not sure I'd want to visit HER Paris! Too dangerous!

Lesa said...

I agree with you, Clea. Cara's Paris is much too dangerous. Cara's a doll, if you haven't met her. Someday, I'm sure you will!

Book Dilettante said...

Cara Black's books are so full of the history of Paris and its present day residents from all over. They are a combination of historical mystery, at times, and present day Paris. I absolutely love them!

Lesa said...

Thank you, Book Dilettante! I wish you had been at yesterday's Authors @ The Teague program. You would have enjoyed Cara's program.