Friday, March 12, 2010

Guest Blogger, Susan Wilson

Today, I'd like to welcome guest blogger, Susan Wilson. I think this picture is terrific, since her latest book is One Good Dog. Thanks, Susan!

First let me say what a pleasure it is to be invited to guest blog on Lesa's Book Critiques. As I have discovered, the blogosphere is a warm and inviting, if curious, place to be. I notice that you emphasize mysteries on your blog. Well, none of my books are mysteries, per se, but each one has at its center a secret. In ONE GOOD DOG, it’s Adam’s past. In HAWKE’S COVE it was Joe Green’s real identity.

ONE GOOD DOG is my sixth novel and a departure from my usual focus. All of my books: BEAUTY, HAWKE’S COVE, CAMEO LAKE, THE FORTUNE-TELLER’S DAUGHTER, and SUMMER HARBOR have as the central theme the relationship between women and men, (and their secrets). In ONE GOOD DOG, I explored the relationship between two very disparate species: man and dog. They each have to learn to trust the other; and come to terms with their own past. Eventually they develop a bond that transcends any prior experience of love.
My challenge was to write a compelling, engaging and believable story with a dog as a central character. By playing with POV and tense, I was able to give Chance and Adam distinct voices.

My other challenge was to take a man who is, at the outset, rather despicable, and turn him into a character that readers can cheer on. This was also a fun exercise, and I really got to flex my anti-hero writing skills. But, at the same time, I needed to know what made Adam the way he was. In other words, define him against a backdrop of influences; but, also hold him responsible for his actions.
Not all children who go through the foster system end up as damaged as Adam. Many do. Not all pit bulls end up fighting. Many do. Given a chance, maybe both can be redeemed. I hope that visitors to enjoy ONE GOOD DOG.

Thank you, Susan. If readers are on Facebook, you might want to check out Susan's page there, and the Who’s Your Good Dog Campaign. One Good Dog is the story of a man who is down on his luck, and a dog who is all out of chances. Together they discover the true meaning of salvation, redemption, and unconditional love.

Who’s Your Good Dog? Post a picture and explanation of how your dog (or turtle, or human, etc!) has transformed your life and share your good dog!
Readers on Facebook can participate at:!/pages/Susan-Wilson/314299227142?ref=ts

Susan Wilson's website is

One Good Dog by Susan Wilson. St. Martin's Press, ©2010. ISBN 9780312571252 (hardcover), 320p.


Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Wow--those are some challenges! POV and voice for man's best friend and an unlikeable (at the beginning) co-protagonist. Sounds like you did a great job recognizing and tackling these things. Looks like a winner!

Mystery Writing is Murder

Lesa said...


I haven't read it yet, but a co-worker read the ARC a month ago, and couldn't wait for this to come out. She's a BIG dog lover, and thought this book was terrific.

bermudaonion said...

I'd really like to read One Good Dog because I know what a dog can mean to someone. Our dog is 14 years old and she heard a lot of our son's secrets when he was growing up - she was always there for him.

Mason Canyon said...

Sounds like a great book. Dogs are a special part of our lives. I can't image not having one. Thanks for introducing me to another wonderful author and an interesting book.

Ingrid King said...

What a fantastic photo of Susan and her dog! This book is definitely going on my TBR list. The subject matter of how animals influence their humans' lives is one that's near and dear to my heart. And with a cover like this, how could I not want to buy this book!

Lesa said...

If you haven't heard of One Good Dog, I'm glad you all discovered it here. See, I'm not ONLY a cat person. I'm willing to read about dogs as well. (grin)

Missy B. said...

I posted about Susan Wilson's book Beauty yesterday on my blog!
One Good Dog is on my wish list, and I so look forward to reading it.

Lesa said...

Hi Missy,

I'm looking forward to reading it as well. Taking it to Tucson with me this weekend.

Terri said...

I saw the word "dog" and that's all it took! I'm a huge dog lover. I wanted to read the one about Racing In the Rain, but heard it's pretty sad and I'm not doing "sad" at the moment.

So I'm on my way to Amazon and Facebook in relation to Susan's book. This definitely sounds like my kind of book.
Thanks for sharing it with us, Lesa.

Lesa said...


My friend, Lisa, wouldn't be raving about this book if it ended sad for the dog. She's another one who doesn't do "sad" when it comes to dogs. I know you'll be OK, or she wouldn't be raving about it.