Wednesday, January 06, 2010

GalleyCat, Sam's Club & Saving CeeCee Honeycutt

Since I'm the biggest (and one of the earliest) fans of Beth Hoffman's Saving CeeCee Honeycutt, I wanted to pass on this news as it appeared in GalleyCat today.

Sam's Club Launches Book Club

By Jason Boog on Jan 06, 2010 10:23

As smaller bookstores struggle through the recession, one major retailer has launched a book club--highlighting a single title in cavernous stores around the country.

Sam's Club will launch its new national book club feature this month with Beth Hoffman's debut novel, "Saving CeeCee Honeycutt." The bookselling ecosystem is shifting with Starbucks' book club and the Walmart-led book price wars. What do you think? What do these unexpected booksellers mean for the publishing industry?

Here's more from the release: "Sam's Club will be celebrating the new book club with a launch party & book signing on Saturday, January 9th at their location in Marietta, GA. The book goes on-sale Tuesday, January 12th and will be featured prominently at Sam's Club locations."

Beth Hoffman's website is

Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman. Viking, ©2010. ISBN 9780670021390 (hardcover), 320p.


Clea Simon said...

Hmm... well, it will be good news for authors like Beth Hoffman, who will surely move some books. And maybe – just maybe – this will get people to read. But it will also direct potential readers away from other books. How will it affect other bookstores? The way the chains always have, I fear, by taking away sales, maybe more so than before because this kind of club mimics the very real handselling that real bookstores do. So lets just hope that readers continue to appreciate booksellers who actually read and love books!

Lesa said...

Clea - I've never even been in a Sam's Club, and Target and Walmart definitely don't dictate my reading taste.

However, Saving CeeCee Honeycutt is a wonderful novel, and it deserves to have word-of-mouth, and even Sam's Club attention. It's that good, and every librarian who has read it agrees with me.

But, you're right. The chains do take sales away from independent bookstores. Not knowing what other books they're going to "push," I can only say this title deserves it. And, Beth has a full touring schedule, appearing at independents such as Vero Beach Book Center and Mysterious Galaxy Bookstore, as well as Sam's.

Ingrid King said...

I always have mixed feelings about these types of announcements.

First of all, congratulations to Beth - as I've said before, I can't wait to get my hands on this book, it sounds wonderful, and I hope it'll be very successful for her. I'm thrilled for her that Sam's Club will be carrying her books - thrilled, and admittedly, a little bit jealous (I'm only human!).

But like Clea, I'm also concerned that this will be taking sales away from the real bookstores.

On the other hand, if it gets more people buying books and reading, then that's a good thing, right?

I'll be really interested to hear what other authors have to say about this topic.

bermudaonion said...

This is wonderful news! Beth and her book definitely deserve lots of attention.

Lesa said...

How about this, Ingrid? It's quite possible that a number of people who would buy it at Sam's Club would never set foot in a regular bookstore. Just as I've never set foot in Sam's Club, but hit a bookstore at least twice a month. So, some of those booksales are not going to be taken away from real bookstores.

Lesa said...

Thanks, Bermudaonion. She and I are already casting the movie. (grin)

Mason Canyon said...

Lesa I agree with you that some of the booksales aren't going to be taken away from real bookstores. Chances are people will buy books at Sam's on impulse. The Sam's in my town already carries a large number of bestsellers - I looked at a Halen Coben book and Fern Michael's latest sisterhood book Tuesday. Maybe one way to look at it is it could possible get more people hooked on reading and they'll have to go to the bookstores to find other books.

Either way it's wonderful news for Beth Hoffman to get the extra exposure.

Beth Hoffman said...

Hi everyone,

Call me Pollyanna, but here's what I truly believe ...

There are reasons why some people shop at independents, and reasons why others shop at the big box stores. And both have their own unique merits.

I feel that any retailer willing and eager to offer precious (and expensive) square footage to emphasize the value of reading is offering a wonderful service to the community.

Though I know this might sound simplistic, I really believe there's enough room for all sorts of retailers to find and nurture their respective niches in this great University of Life.

I'll be giving author talks and signings at libraries, independent bookstores, chains, and the biggest box stores in the USA. And I know each one will teach me something of value.

Lesa said...


I totally agree with you, and with Beth's comments that follow. I'm really pleased for her, and the book. It deserves attention.

Lesa said...

You, too, Beth? That's so funny because one of the library managers I worked with in Florida used to call me Pollyanna. I'd much rather see the glass as half full than half empty.

And, I think you're right. You'll bring something special to each appearance, no matter where you're going, and, as you said, I'm sure you'll learn something in return.

It's going to be a great journey!

Ingrid King said...

Beth, I love your point of view. I've always believed that it's far more beneficial to look at things from the point of view that there's enough for everyone, rather than from a place of lack.

And I hope your book tour brings you to the Washington, DC area!

And Lesa, I think you raise a good point, too, that some people who shop at Sam's Club would never shop at a bookstore. I'm not a big box store shopper, but I know some of my friends who shop there will hit the book section before they look at anything else.

What a great discussion!

Lesa said...


You have Clea to thank for kicking off the discussion. But, I love Beth's answer.


Beth Hoffman said...

Ingrid, I would so love to meet you! Maybe something will come up and I'll be headed your way.

Right now I'm working on getting down to AZ so that Lesa and I can do an event together. There are joys and frustrations of touring with a book: joys in meeting so many new book-loving people, and frustrations because time is so limited.

I hope I have the opportunity to visit both AZ and DC. What fun!

Lesa said...

Ah, Beth. I'm wishing you success in those plans for Arizona. And, D.C. would be wonderful! That's where I went to grad school, and they have great bookstores. Good luck, and good luck on your journey.

Wynnmc said...

Beth will be in North Texas Thursday night at St. Andrew United Methodist church at 7:30 PM as a Part of their author series. Come and Join us!

BTW: Real bookstores – definition: anywhere you can buy books that the booksellers are knowledgeable and passionate about books and help you discover new authors and worlds to explore. That can be an independent, a Barnes & Noble and if we are lucky an occasional Sam’s Club or a Wal-Mart. It’s passion and knowledge that make you real; not your business model. Just like love can turn a velveteen rabbit real.

Lesa said...

Oh, Wynnmc - What a wonderful comment about passion and knowledge that makes you real. Thank you for that. I think you're going to be Beth's kind of person!