Saturday, January 16, 2010

Brava, Valentine by Adriana Trigiani

I was lucky enough to have the chance to review Adriana Trigiani's latest book, Brava, Valentine, for Library Journal. Here's the review, as it appears in the January 15, 2010 issue, reprinted with permission.

Trigiani, Adriana. Brava, Valentine. Harper: HarperCollins. Feb. 2010. c.352p. ISBN 978-0-06-125707-0. $25.99. F

The second novel in Trigiani's Valentine trilogy (after Very Valentine) brings back Valentine Roncalli and her argumentative but loving Italian American family. With her grandmother remarried and living in Italy, Valentine and her brother are now in charge of the Angelina Shoe Company. She's a strong businesswoman, but family and romantic relationships knock her off stride. The marriage problems she sees in her own family don't allow her to trust in a man or her own happiness. Her discovery of a family scandal that leads to Buenos Aires only stirs up more family troubles and romantic difficulties. And the loss of a beloved friend forces Valentine to question her future and look past tearful farewells for love and happiness. VERDICT Trigiani spoke to women's hearts with Big Stone Gap, and her Valentine series continues to do so. Brimming over with life, her latest will be essential reading for fans of humorous, touching family fiction. Trigiani's readers will be hard-pressed to wait a year for the final installment, Ciao, Valentine.

Lesa Holstine, Glendale P.L., AZ

Copyright ©2010 Cahners Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. Reprinted with permission.

Adriana Trigiani's website is

FTC Full Disclosure - My review copy was supplied by Library Journal, for review purposes.


Mary said...

It has been a long wait since Very Valentine, that's for sure! I loved that book and can't wait to read the second book (a review copy should land in my mailbox next week, yay!). I loved the first Valentine book. Trigiani at her best. Nice review.

Lesa said...

Thanks, Mary. You're right, these are Trigiani at her best. I wore down on the Big Stone Gap series. But, I love Valentine, and I like this series. Enjoy!

bermudaonion said...

Trigiani is one of my favorite authors, so I'm glad to see this is going to be a great series! I can't wait to read it.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I haven't read her first book, so now I have 2 books on my TBR list! Thanks.

Mystery Writing is Murder
Mystery Lovers’ Kitchen

Kaye said...

Lucky lucky you! I love Verd Valentine. Such a wonderful story. Trigiani tells it like no other. Can't wait to read this one.

Lesa said...

Perfect Valentine reading, Bermudaonion, in more ways to one! It is going to be a good series.

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Elizabeth. You do want to start with Very Valentine, and meet the entire family.

Lesa said...

I did feel very lucky, Kaye. I've had some good review copies from Library Journal lately - Leila Meacham's Roses, Saving CeeCee Honeycutt, and, now, Brava, Valentine. I hope they keep coming!

Bonnie said...

I'm so glad that you found this second book to be as good as the first one. I can't wait to read it, I'm a big fan of Adriana Trigiani's work. I'll be getting a review copy soon and I'll probably push everything aside to read it!
I love your Library Journal reviews Lesa! I found out about Saving CeeCee Honeycut from your reviews, one of my favorite books of the year.

Lesa said...

Thank you, Bonnie! I've just been very lucky in the books I've been sent to review lately. I could honestly say how much I liked them, and that I thought others would. I know you'll like Brava, Valentine! Interesting new twists in this story - very appropriate ones. You'll want to read it as soon as you get it, I'm sure.