Monday, December 07, 2009

Why My Third Husband Will Be a Dog by Lisa Scottoline

Lisa Scottoline makes me laugh. And cry. And, say to Jim, "You have to hear this." I don't have a drop of Italian blood, so we're not related, but, after reading her book, Why My Third Husband Will Be a Dog, I know we're connected, if only by sisterhood.

When Scottoline starting writing a weekly column called "Chick Wit" for The Philadelphia Inquirer, she wrote it for women I know. She wanted to talk to the kind of women she saw in real life, strong, funny, and feisty; women like her mom, her girlfriends, her daughter, and herself. Her book is dedicated to "Extraordinary ordinary women everywhere." And, she knew we would understand. She knew the strength of women, as Eleanor Roosevelt did. The opening quote in the book is from Roosevelt, a favorite quote of Scottoline's. "A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water."

Most women will find themselves somewhere in these pages. Scottoline can laugh at herself and her family, and she does it with so much love, that we're willing to laugh at ourselves with her. I discovered that we love the same movie candy in her essay, "Movie Time." And, since my father died a number of years ago, I cried over her column, "I Miss My Father." (I do, too.) Since, I have two kittens, I appreciated her story about her little terror. Any animal lover will appreciate her stories about her dogs. And, I had to laugh when she talked about going for her author photo, saying, "The best fiction in my books is my author photo."

If you've only known Lisa Scottoline from her novels, now you can learn about her life, her family, and her pets. Scottoline is eccentric, passionate about her daughter, concerned about aging and that little extra weight. She's had her rough years, and celebrates her love for her mother and brother. She's proud of her daughter, Francesca, and allows her to share her voice in the book. In other words, Lisa Scottoline is such an excellent columnist that her words hit home where it counts, in the heart.

If you want thoughts that are sometimes funny, and always warm, check out Lisa Scottoline's collection of columns, Why My Third Husband Will Be a Dog: The Amazing Adventures of an Ordinary Woman.

Lisa Scottoline's website is www.scottoline.com

Why My Third Husband Will Be a Dog: The Amazing Adventures of an Ordinary Woman by Lisa Scottoline. St. Martin's Press, ©2009. ISBN 9780312587482 (hardcover), 304p.

*******

FTC Full Disclosure - Library book

20 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

I came across the title a month or so ago online and had to laugh. Too cute! It sounds like a great book...thanks for the tip!

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Molly said...

sounds like a GREAT light-hearted book to read during finals week!

Lesa said...

It is a terrific book, Elizabeth. I hope you get a chance to read it.

Lesa said...

Molly,

You're right. It's a great book for times when you don't think you have much time to read.

Lisanne624 said...

I heard her speak at the American Library Association meeting in July, and she was a hoot! Really funny and personable.

Lesa said...

I've met Lisa, although it's been a number of years. But, I've never had the chance to hear her speak, Lisanne. I'll have to watch for her to appear here.

jenny milchman said...

I went out and got a signed copy from Lisa herself in Cherry Hill, NJ last week and can attest 1) to the humor and authenticity of this book and 2) to Lisa's genuine wit and sense of humanity. She is a lovely, compassionate woman--I hope to be that generous and entertaining myself one day at a signing (perhaps for a few less people than Lisa drew)!

Lesa said...

Well, good luck, Jenny! And, if you've seen an example of how wonderful an author is, you've had a chance to experience the kind of treatment you should give to your audiences. Good luck!

Ingrid King said...

I just picked this up - can't wait to get started!

bermudaonion said...

A friend of mine raves over this book. It sounds like fun.

Lesa said...

Bermudaonion,

I'm glad you friend liked it as much as I did. I hope you get the chance to read it sometime. It is fun.

Lesa said...

Hi Ingrid!

I'm glad you have a copy of the book. Enjoy it! It's a perfect book for this time of year when it seems as if you always have to pick up and put down a book without having a great deal of time.

Clea Simon said...

The title along is worth it!!

Lesa said...

You're right, Clea. Oh, and she has a couple kittens in her menagerie, as well as all those dogs. There are 2 kitten columns.

pattinase (abbott) said...

This one really appeals to me even though my first husband is a saint.

Lesa said...

It's a fun book, Patti, no matter what a husband is like!

Kaye said...

I love Lisa's books and so do my daughters. She certainly does know about families and how to get to the heart of the matter. I'll have to check this one out.

Lesa said...

Oh, Kaye. I think you and your daughters will like this one. Really nice columns about mothers and daughters.

caite said...

I loved this book..I think my own review is scheduled to post tomorrow. I read her column in the Inquirer for a long time, and enjoyed them but it is a different, and even better, feeling to read them all together.
Yes, she makes me laugh too...lol

Lesa said...

Oh, great, Caite! I'm glad you liked it as well as I did. I'll have to check out your blog. She does make you laugh, doesn't she?