Sunday, November 01, 2009

December Hot Titles

December isn't an enormous publishing month, but some of the well-known authors do have books coming out that month. So, now is the time to place your holds at the public library, or order them at your favorite bookstore.

Start with Steve Berry's The Paris Vendetta. The fifth book in the Cotton Malone series kicks off when Malone's house is broken into by a Secret Service agent, Sam Collins. Cotton and Sam flee to a friend's estate, only to discover the man is hunting his son's killers. It's a thriller that takes the reader from Copenhagen to Britain to France.

Barbara Delinsky's Not My Daughter touches on an issue in the news recently. Single Parent Susan Tate is stunned when her seventeen-year-old daughter, Lily, announces she's pregnant. But, when word leaks out that Lily's two best friends are also pregnant, rumors of a pregnancy pact begin to circulate. Once again, Delinsky deals with relationships between mothers and daughters.

Too Much Money is Dominick Dunne's novel published after his death. Commentator, Gus Bailey, faces a slander suit following a flip remark on his radio show. At the same time, he's searching for the truth behind a society murder, for which he believes the wrong man was convicted.

Stephen Hunter brings back Bob Lee Swagger in I, Sniper. Bob Lee is caught up in a fight to clear the name of a fellow solider-in-arms, but, to do so, he has to face a ruthless enemy, a sniper as smart and accurate as he is.

When the body of a man involved in a number of San Francisco non-profits and charitable organizations is found floating a lagoon, P.I. Wyatt Hunt and his partner uncover shocking facts about him. It's Treasure Hunt by John Lescroart.

Scotland Yard Detective Ian Rutledge returns in Charles Todd's The Red Door. When Rutledge points out a connection between a woman who died behind the red door, and the disappearance of a man who never came home from the Great War, Scotland Yard is blind to the connection. Rutledge has a number of puzzles related to this case.

Noah's Compass is the latest novel by Anne Tyler, the story of a man who wakes up in a hospital after moving into a condo, and can't remember what happened. When he hires a "rememberer," his efforts take an unexpected turn.

Stone Barrington returns in Stuart Woods' Kisser. He's back in New York, back in a hot affair, but his new love has a shady past.

I've seen more exciting publishing months, but most of us don't have a great deal of reading time in December, anyways. Now is the time to order these titles, if you want to get a jump on other readers at the library.


Diane said...

It seems like I've been waiting and waiting forever for Noah's Compass.

bermudaonion said...

I didn't realize Anne Tyler has a new book coming out. Another one to add to my growing wish list. *Sigh*

Kaye said...

Oooh, a new Steve Berry~ I love that series. It's on my list.

Have a great week and happy reading!

Lesa said...

Diane & Bermudaonion - A new Anne Tyler is always tempting, isn't it? Enjoy!

Lesa said...

Thanks, Kaye! Steve Berry is one of my husband's favorite authors, as well. Happy reading, too! And, have a good week.

Beth Hoffman said...

Where have I been? I didn't know Anne Tyler had a new book. Though my TBR list is out of hand, I couldn't stop myself from adding this too!

Thanks, Lesa ... hope you, Jim, and the furbabies are having a good weekend.


Lesa said...

Great weekend, Beth. I'm going to the Poisoned Pen today to see Margaret Coel and Steven Havill, some mystery authors. And, Jim got his new bike yesterday.

And, next month, Beth? Saving CeeCee Honeycutt will be in the Treausres in My Closet column for January books!

Jen Forbus said...

Great highlight Lesa. Thanks. I thought I'd mention that Sue Grafton's U IS FOR UNDERTOW will be out at the beginning of December. And while it isn't a "Hot Title" for some, I love, love, love Tom Schreck and his third Duffy Dombroski will be out in December, OUT COLD.

Ugh, I'm still dealing with the D word...

Beth Hoffman said...

Ha! Jim certainly didn't waste any time getting a new bike. Bless his heart.

Hope you enjoyed the Poisoned Pen event, Lesa. And my heartfelt thanks for including my novel in your upcoming Treasures in My Closet column. I'm honored!

Lesa said...

Appreciate it, Jen! I did Sue Grafton's U is for Undertow for the November Hot Titles, since it was listed in my McNaughton catalog as the end of November. It never hurts to remind people, though!

And, thanks for the Tom Schreck book!

Lesa said...

Hi Beth!

Nope, and it's a pretty bike. I'll have to send you a picture.

Poisoned Pen was just as much fun as always. My blog will be up tomorrow.

Your book is definitely a treasure, Beth!

bks2plz said...

A great gift idea or stocking stuffers for family, friends, and co-workers, the new fantasy novel, "Gateway to DreamWorld," has been receiving rave reviews.

During the cold months ahead, they will curl up in a warm blanket or in front of the fireplace and enter a fantasy world filled with excitement and suspense.

The book is listed on, Barnes&, and Powell’s

Lesa said...

Thanks for the note about Gateway to DreamWorld.