Wednesday, November 04, 2009

The Christmas Clock by Kat Martin

It seems so early to review Christmas books, but they're already showing up in the library, the bookstores, and on the bestseller lists, so I'll occasionally review one of this year's releases. I'm sure you want to know what to watch for on the shelves! So, we'll kick off the Christmas books with Kat Martin's The Christmas Clock.

At 22, Teddy Sparks looks back at Christmas 1994, and the year he was eight years old. He lived with his grandmother, Lottie Sparks, and he wanted so wanted to get a special gift for her for Christmas, the small Victorian clock she admired in the window of Tremont's Antiques. Teddy's yearning for that special clock would change a number of lives in the small town of Dreyerville, Michigan.

Sylvia Winters returned home to Dreyerville that year, after an eight years absence. She had fled from her engagement to Joe Dixon, lying to him about her reasons for leaving. Now, she's returning as a nurse, but Joe, embittered by his experiences after she left, won't be happy to see her back.

But, Sylvia and Joe aren't the only ones to face problems. Teddy's grandmother, Lottie, has a progressive form of Alzheimer's, and the young boy, and Lottie's friend, Doris, know something is wrong, although Lottie hasn't told them. The Christmas of 1994 could be a tough one in Dreyerville.

But, this is a Christmas story. There is more character development than in most Christmas books, and Kat Martin manages to make the reader care about all of the people involved. There will be a few tears, and, naturally, an ending with a great deal of love. The Christmas Clock is a charming start to this year's Christmas books.

Kat Martin's website is www.katbooks.com

The Christmas Clock by Kat Martin. Vanguard Press, ©2009. ISBN 9781593155476 (hardcover), 160p.

****FTC Full Disclosure - My copy of The Christmas Clock was a review copy sent by the publicist, with the hopes I would review it.

14 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

I heard Christmas music playing in the craft store yesterday. The season is apparently upon us!

Christmas Clock sounds good...I like the fact you mentioned that the characterization was rounded. My complaint with some Christmas books is that the characters seem too flat and the book too sweet. This sounds like a good one to start the season out with.

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Joe Barone said...

Just a note to thank you. I just finished reading The Double-Jack Murders. I enjoyed it. Thanks for recommending it.

Lesa said...

It seemed a little too early to me, Elizabeth, until I realized I'm even reading a Christmas mystery, Cleo Coyle's Holiday Grind. And, then I knew Debbie Macomber's Christmas one is already on the bestseller lists, and I have two from Holly Jacobs to read, so I thought I might as well get going.

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Joe. I'm glad you liked it! I like Bo Tully, his father and mother, and the cast of characters.

Kaye said...

Not only is the cover enticing, but a good recommendation from you makes it makes it a must read. Thanks for the review.

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Kaye. Isn't that a great cover? Reaches out to you. What a nice compliment. Thank you!

Diane said...

The cover is lovely; great review.

Clea Simon said...

It does seem early, but Thanksgiving seems late this year (is that true)? At any rate, I like a good sentimental story and am happy to hear about this.

Lesa said...

Thanks, Diana! I like that cover, but, then, I'm partial to red.

Lesa said...

You're right, Clea. Thanksgiving is late, which might be why even my grocery store had Christmas decorations up before Halloween.

Ingrid King said...

Christmas does seem to come earlier and earlier each year. I kind of long for the days when you didn't even see the first Christmas commercials on TV until the day after Thanksgiving. (Yes, I'm that old...:-)

This sounds like a nice addition to my ever expanding Christmas reading list.

Lesa said...

I'm with you, Ingrid. And, I'm that old, too. I absolutely LOVE Christmas, but I can wait until after Thanksgiving for commercials and music & decorations. (Although I did order my first gifts today.)

bermudaonion said...

Books like this are a little cheesy quite often, but I do love them this time of year.

Lesa said...

Oh, I know it, Bermudaonion, but, just this time of year, they seem to fit the season.