Friday, September 04, 2009

Greywalker by Kat Richardson

I discovered Harper Blaine in a short story, so I had to go back and start the Greywalker series. The first book is Kat Richardson's Greywalker, a novel I'd recommend to fans of Simon R. Green, and even readers interested in vampires, as long as they're not interested in pretty, romantic vampires.

Harper Blaine was a private investigator in Seattle until she was assaulted by a client's stepfather. The beating left her dead for almost two minutes, but she didn't understand why she saw figures and felt strange until a sympathetic doctor told her she had died, and, sometimes, that experience changes people. He sent her to friends, university professors, Ben and Mara Danziger. As soon as she arrived at their house, she noticed the glow around it, and the ghost that lived there. Mara and Ben told her what she was experiencing was the energy of the Grey, the place between our world and the next, and Harper was now a Greywalker.

Although Harper could easily accept that Mara was a witch, she couldn't accept that she herself had changed. She could see ghosts and spirits. It took two cases to prove to her that she was going to have to live her life differently. One was a missing persons case, and the other a missing musical instrument case. Both times, Harper found herself sucked into environments, and dealing with people she couldn't control, from vampires to necromancers and evil spirits. Fortunately, Mara was always there for her, along with Quinton, an unusual handyman who had his own secrets.

Greywalker is an enthralling urban fantasy. Harper Blaine is an intriguing character, in a world not of her choosing. But, she's a quick study, and she'll learn what she needs to do to survive. I already have the rest of the series in my TBR pile.

Kat Richardson's website is

Greywalker by Kat Richardson. Roc, ©2006. ISBN 045146107X (paperback), 341p.


Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

I've not read any urban fantasies, which I've been meaning to correct. Even my son has read them! (I think the Gregor the Underlander series qualifies as a YA urban fantasy?) I'll look for Kat's book.

Mystery Writing is Murder

Lesa said...

I'm a big fan of urban fantasy, Elizabeth. I love Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden, and now, I think, Kat Richardson's books will come in second to his. I read Simon R. Green. I guess my first ones were Elizabeth Scarborough's Godmother series years ago.

Auntie Knickers said...

This sounds like a series I'd enjoy, too -- I loved the Godmother books and also have begun enjoying Harry Dresden. Thanks for pointing it out!

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Auntie Knickers. Hope you like it!