Thursday, September 03, 2009

Ghost à la Mode by Sue Ann Jaffarian

Sue Ann Jaffarian, author of the Odelia Grey mysteries, launches a new paranormal mystery series with the entertaining Ghost à la Mode. How scary can a ghost be when she smells like apple pie, and is known as Granny Apples? Is this the woman who murdered her husband, and was hanged for his murder?

Emma Whitecastle only went with her best friend to see the clairvoyant as a diversion. At forty-four, it's hard to move home with your teenage daughter while going through a divorce. And, the separation was too public for Emma, since she was married to a powerful TV talk show host. Emma certainly couldn't predict that she'd come home with a ghost, her great-great-great-grandmother, Granny Apples. She never even knew that her ancestor, Ish Reynolds, had been blamed for her husband's murder, and hanged. But, her father knew of the clairvoyant, and, her mother had seen the ghost. And, Granny is a determined ghost, determined to clear her name because she says she didn't do it. And, it's been over 100 years since anyone believed her.

Emma doubts her own sanity, until her aunt dies, and also appears to her. Before she knows it, Emma agrees to take a short trip to Julian, California, to look into the family story. She thinks she'll make a quick trip there and back, but Granny has other ideas. And, when Emma is met with anger and opposition from Phil Bower, the current owner of Granny's land, and someone else is interested in the story, Emma gets her back up. When ghosts appear to add their own versions of Granny's story, Emma knows she has to help Granny Apples.

Ghost à la Mode has all of the elements I enjoy in a cozy mystery. There's a cold case, over one hundred years old, involving the discovery of gold in California. There's a little history, a little romance, quite a bit of ghostly activity, and a mystery with an unexpected ending. There's also wonderful humor. Julian, California is a fascinating setting for the debut of this series. Now that Emma knows she can see and talk to ghosts, she and Granny Apples are ripe for more mysteries.

Sue Ann Jaffarian's website is www.sueannjaffarian.com

Ghost à la Mode by Sue Ann Jaffarian. Midnight Ink, ©2009. ISBN 9780738713809 (paperback), 312p.

16 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

The name alone, Granny Apples, is wonderful!

Sue Ann is an online friend of mine (we share a publisher) and she's always so energetic, bubbly, and fun. It sounds like her personality has trickled into her book.

I like cold case mysteries, too, Lesa. Hmm...may have to start playing around with that idea.

Elizabeth Mystery Writing is Murder

Lesa said...

LOVE cold case mysteries, Elizabeth! I like the connection between the past and the present in the cases.

I've never met or talked to Sue Ann. It's nice to know her personality comes through.

bermudaonion said...

It sounds like that book has everything in it!

Lesa said...

It does, Bermudaonion. It's just a fun book.

Kay said...

I've got a 40% off Borders coupon burning a hole in my pocket. Hmmm...think this is what I'll spend it on. I love cold cases as well. Thanks for the heads-up on this Lesa!

Serena said...

sounds like an interesting idea for a series.

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Kay! I don't think you'll regret spending your coupon.

Lesa said...

I think it's going to make for an interesting series, Serena.

Clea Simon said...

What fun - another ghost story!
This sounds like a very inventive take on both ghosts and cold cases.

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

Thank you, Lesa! I'm so glad you enjoyed the book. I got word of this review just as I'd written THE END on Hot 'n Haunting, the 2nd Granny Apples mytery. How appropriate, huh?

Lesa said...

And, tomorrow, Clea, I'm reviewing Greywalker. Hmmm. Lots of paranormal right now, and I'm not even one of those people that reads vampire books.

Lesa said...

Perfect timing, Sue Ann! I did enjoy Ghost a la Mode. Great! Now, I have the next one to look forward to - what in a year or so? (sigh)

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

Yes, the Ghost of Granny Apples books are scheduled for every September, while the Odelia Grey mysteries are scheduled for each February. Gotta start Odelia #6 in a few weeks! Working title is Body Bingo.

Lesa said...

Sept. is perfect for the ghost stories. Thanks for the information for me, and my readers!

Kay said...

OK, I just finished this great Granny Apples mystery. What a fun start to a series that I'm putting on my "must-buy and must read" list. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll pass along the recommendation to one and all. Glad to hear that Book 2 is in the works. I love a new series!!

Lesa said...

Me, too, Kay! And, I'm really glad to hear you liked this as much as I did. Thanks for passing along the recommendation. The more we pass on, the more chance the publisher will continue the series!