Sunday, August 09, 2009

Sunday Salon - "Strong Heroines in Crime Fiction" Program

The Authors @ The Teague will present three authors to discuss "Strong Heroines in Crime Fiction" on Saturday, Aug. 15 at 2 PM. Join us for a panel discussion and book signing with three authors with varied backgrounds.

Ann Parker is the author of three historical mysteries set in Leadville, Colorado during the Silver Rush. Her latest book from Poisoned Pen Press is Leaden Skies. Once again, saloon owner, Inez Stannert, is caught up in murder and intrigue. This time, former President Ulysses S. Grant just happens to be in town.

Juliet Blackwell, who once wrote mysteries with her sister under the name Hailey Lind, has started a new series, beginning with Secondhand Spirits. Secondhand Spirits, first in the new Witchcraft Mystery Series, features Lily Ivory, a witch who opens a vintage clothing store in the Haight-Ashbury neighborhood of San Francisco.

Sophie Littlefield's debut novel, A Bad Day for Sorry, is one of the most talked about debut mysteries of the year. Publishers Weekly called Sophie's character, Stella, "Spunky, unapologetically middle-aged and a tad cantankerous."

So, we have an author with three books in a historical mystery series, an author who is starting her second series, and a first-time author. It should be a fun discussion!

The Velma Teague Library is at 7010 N. 58th Ave., Glendale, AZ 85301. Call 623-930-3431 for more details. Hope to see you Saturday at 2 PM!


Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Wish I could make it!

I've heard a lot about "Bad Day for Sorry," as you've mentioned. I remember reading that the author really had to fight to keep her heroine tough...even made sure the knees on the cover were banged-up looking!

Mystery Writing is Murder

Table Talk said...

Our local bookshop where we used to have such events has just closed. I am really going to miss them. Enjoy your afternoon.

Lesa said...


I wish you could be there, too. Myrtle would fit right in with those "Strong Heroines". I'm reading Pretty Is as Pretty Dies right now, about 1/3 of the way through, and Myrtle is a hoot! I haven't read such a funny mystery in a long time!

I noticed the knees on Sophie's book cover. She won!

Lesa said...

Oh, thank you, Table Talk. I'm so sorry about your bookstore. I'd miss those events, if Poisoned Pen in Scottsdale closed.

Literary Feline said...

How fun! Oh, how I wish I lived in Arizona sometimes! I hope the event is a big success, Lesa.

Lesa said...

Thank you, Wendy! I wish you could be here. I'm hoping the event is a success as well.

dayana said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Lesa said...

Thank you, Margaret. I hope you do return often.