Monday, August 03, 2009

September's Hot Titles

Since I already discussed the September Treasures in My Closet, I thought I'd mention the hot titles that are not there. September looks like it will be another busy month for readers.

Start with the big book of the month. No matter what you thought of The DaVinci Code, Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol will probably be the blockbuster of the month. All I really know about the book is that Robert Landon is the hero again, and the book takes place over a twelve hour time frame.

Nevada Barr departs from her Anna Pigeon series, with 13 1/2. Polly Deschamps, a lonely, divorced mother, remarries, only to become uneasy about her husband's moods, and a prediction that she would murder her husband.

Forensic investigator Theresa MacLean takes on a case that originally appeared to be suicide, in Lisa Black's Evidence of Murder.

Chelsea Cain is a too graphic for me, but she brings back serial killer Gretchen Lowell, and Detective Archie Sheridan in Evil at Heart. A deranged fan of Gretchen's pays homage to the killer in this novel.

Can Anita Diamant repeat the success of The Red Tent? Day After Night is the story of four women in a holding camp for illegal immigrants in Israel in 1945.

Pursuit of Honor is Vince Flynn's latest political thriller, a story of espionage, covert intelligence, and counter-terrorism.

Diana Gabaldon's An Echo in the Bone is the other big book of September, in more ways than one. The 992 page novel is the seventh volume in Gabaldon's Outlander series. From the 20th century, Brianna, Jamie Fraser and Claire's daughter, watches the unfolding of her parents story during the American Revolution.

Blood Game marks the return of Eve Duncan in the latest forensic thriller by Iris Johansen. When a Georgia senator's daughter is found murdered, Duncan is drawn into the web of a serial killer.

LAPD detective Milo Sturgis reaches out to Dr. Alex Delaware for help when a construction foreman finds two corpses in a mansion in Bel Air. It's Evidence by Jonathan Kellerman.

Dexter By Design by Jeffry Lindsay finds Dexter back from his honeymoon, working as a blood spatter analyst, when the Miami cops find a serial killer on their hands. How can Dexter help with the investigation?

Isabel Dalhousie reunites with a woman from her past, in The Lost Art of Gratitude by Alexander McCall Smith. Isabel's life is quite complicated in the latest novel.

In The Deep End of the Ocean, Jacquelyn Mitchard told the story of the abduction and return of Beth Cappadora's three-year-old son, Ben. Twenty years later, in No Time to Wave Goodbye, the grown children make a documentary about the trauma, only to face another kidnapping.

Audrey Niffenegger is another author who faces the daunting task of trying to live up to the success of her first novel, The Time Traveler's Wife. Her Fearful Symmetry tells of a woman who leaves her London apartment to twin nieces, who discover their aunt may be dead, but she can't seem to leave her old apartment or her life behind.

In Sara Paretsky's Hardball, V.I. Warshawski returns to her office to find her cousin has disappeared, and her office was broken into by three people.

Lately, there's been little mystery in Robert B. Parker's Spenser books. But, I find them to be a comfortable return to old friends. The Professional brings Spenser an interesting case, one that goes from blackmail to murder. Gary Eisenhower is blackmailing the wealthy wives he had affairs with, but suddenly women start turning up dead.

Richard North Patterson's The Spire tells of a trial lawyer who reluctantly becomes a college's president, knowing his return would dredge up an unsolved case from sixteen years earlier.

The battle of Baghdad was fought over the ruins of Baghdad Zoo, followed by the smuggling of hundreds of animals. Then, a rare baby gibbon disappears from a research facility, along with the chief scientist. Six years later, animals appear sharing superintelligence. It's James Rollins' Altar of Eden.

Best-selling author Nicholas Sparks returns with The Last Song, a story of an angry young woman spending the summer with her father, and learning about love.

It's August and over 110 degrees daily here in Arizona, so it seems a little early to discuss Christmas books, but there's a group of them scheduled for publication in September.

The Christmas List is Richard Paul Evans' latest inspirational Christmas novel, in the tradition of his earlier The Christmas Box.

Hannah Swensen's bakery is always busy during the holiday
season, but she loves it. She also enjoys Lunatic Larry Jaeger's Crazy Elf Christmas Tree Lot, until he's found dead in his office. When she does a little investigating, someone has plans to see she won't see the New Year. It's Joanne Fluke's Plum Pudding Murder.

In Debbie Macomber's The Perfect Christmas, Cassie Beaumont hires a professional matchmaker to help her find the man of her dreams. She's assigned three tasks to do before meeting that special man.

A Christmas Promise by Anne Perry sets two children on the trail of a missing donkey after a murder.

Maureen Davenport has the chance to direct the local holiday pageant, but she can't get along with his court-ordered co-director. Their views on Christmas and their artistic ideas are polar opposites, but they seem to be falling in love. Susan Wiggs' Lakeshore Christmas looks promising.

I hope there is something here you'd like to read! Reserve your favorite titles now at your local public library or pre-order them at your favorite bookstore. Happy Reading!


Jen said...

Lesa, is Louise Penny's new book an August or September release? I have it at home but can't remember which month it's release date is.

Lesa said...

I had it as an October release, according to the back of the book, Jen. But, then when I looked it up on B&N just now, it says Sept. 28. So, it should have fallen into my September Treasures in My Closet. Missed that one, because of the book cover!

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Thanks for the overview, Lesa! There are a lot of goodies for me to add to my reading list.

I'm really surprised at the Christmas books that are coming out in September. Wonder what the thought process is behind that?

Mystery Writing is Murder

Lesa said...

I don't know, Elizabeth, about the Christrmas books. I do know my mother & I both like to read them in December. I'll have to read them early, so I can get my reviews ready for December. I like to post a Christmas book a week or so that month.

CindyinTempe said...

Have you read any of the Thomas Kincade Cape Light series? They are my favorite Christmas stories.

Lesa said...

Hi Cindy,

I haven't read any of the Thomas Kincade books. I know they're popular here, though. I didn't see one scheduled yet for September release. Maybe the new one in that series will be released closer to Christmas.

meen said...

Lesa, thank you for both instalments on September releases. They're always a big help when it comes to making my lists of books to order/look out for.

caite said...

I love Chelsea Cain...not too graphic for me lol..and I am really looking forward to that one. Hoping to shag a copy on LT Early Reviewers, even if I have not gotten one in many months.
I also like Nevada Barr's Pigeon series, so I have to check that one out...{{ many books, so little time}}

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Marleen! Thank you. It's nice to know the booklist is a help!

Lesa said...

I totally agree with you, Caite - too many books. Even so, I love those months with a lot of choices!

Alexia561 said...

Thank you for the great list of books! Really looking forward to Dexter By Design, as I love that series! Also curious how Audrey Niffenegger's new book will turn out. Lots more titles for my wishlist! :)

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Alexia. I thought there might be something for everyone here!

Becky said...

Love your blog- you always have the greatest book ideas. I just finished reading a great political thriller ... written by Heath Daniels. I found to be a really well written, fascinating read, and now I am in that kind of a mindset. So I think that I will check out "The Lost Symbol" and the "Professional." Thanks again for the great book tips!

Lesa said...

Thank you, Becky! If you drop back here, let us know the name of the political thriller. Thanks for the nice comments!

Becky said...

Lesa, the title to Heath Daniels' book is "Three Kisses." You should check it out- I finished it last week and still find myself thinking about it.

Lesa said...

Thanks, Becky! I'll have to look for it.