Tuesday, June 02, 2009

July Treasures in My Closet

The stack of July releases in my closet isn't as large as it is for other months, but it's a treasure lode of crime fiction, with one other special book.

I'm a big fan of journalist Bob Greene. He's originally from my home state, Ohio, and I recognize so many of the locations in his books. He's about the same age as my husband, and they share a generational memory. Bob Greene's books speak to my heart, and I don't think Late Edition: A Love Story is going to be any different. In this book, he journeys home to Columbus, Ohio, and a time when newspapers were such an important part of daily life. Greene started his career at the Columbus Citizen-Journal, and he tries to bring back the memories and romance of the newspaper business. I can't wait to read this book. (And, it has a gorgeous cover.)

I've actually already read an ARC of DeKok and the Mask of Death by Baantjer. I'm reviewing it for the next issue of Mystery News. If you haven't yet discovered Speck Press' translations from the Dutch of this outstanding police procedurals, you're in for a treat. Inspector DeKok investigates the disappearances of young women in this one, women sent by the same doctor to the same hospital, but the hospital says they were never there.

Persona Non Grata is Ruth Downie's latest novel of the Roman Empire. In the third book in the series, Gaius Patreius Ruso and his companion, Tilla, are summoned home to his family, in Gaul, where bankruptcy and trouble await.

In Floodgates, Mary Anna Evans takes Faye Longchamp and her team of archaeologists to New Orleans, trying to save the city's past, until they find a corpse. When the police assume it's another dead body left by Hurricane Katrina, Faye has to prove them wrong.

Michael Genelin's latest book Dark Dreams, is a Commander Jana Matinova Investigation crime novel. Jana, a commander in the Slovak police force, investigates a conspiracy that entangled a childhood friend, now a member of parliament.

Murder on a Midsummer Night is the latest Phryne Fisher mystery by Kerry Greenwood. At the start of 1929, Phryne follows eerie leads when she investigates a death, trying to determine if it was murder or suicide.

Some of the smaller presses are stirring up excitement with reprints this year. Sourcebooks Casablanca has been publishing Georgette Heyer's books. Now, Soho Press, brings out the third and fourth volumes of the Sgt. Cribb Mystery Series by Peter Lovesey, in paperback for the first time in over 25 years. In Abracadaver, "a sadistic practical joker is haunting the popular music halls of London. It's up to Cribb and Constable Thackeray of Scotland Yard to find a killer. In Mad Hatter's Holiday, "a man takes a family of vacationers into his confidence while visiting Brighton Beach, only to become involved in a sensational murder." These books originally came out in the 1970s, and I read all of them in 1980. I'm looking forward to reading them again.

Londongrad is an Artie Cohen mystery by Reggie Nadelson. Cohen is a New York police detective and first-generation American with complex ties to his Russian past. In Londongrad, he is faced with a murder that threatens his friendship with a club owner, the murder of a girl. Soon Cohen is over his head in London, where there are complex ties to the Russian underworld.

Ann Parker, who will appear at the Velma Teague Library in August, has a July release, Leaden Skies. In the summer of 1880, Leadville, Colorado hosts former president Ulysses S. Grant. The mining boomtown also hosts a murderer who forces saloon owner Inez Stannert to face her past.

Edgar Award-winning author Theresa Schwegel brings us Last Known Address. Chicago Detective Sloane Pearson is on the hunt for a serial rapist, one intent on taking his prey to deserted building sites in the Windy City.

The stack of books in my closet is enticing. My prediction for July? It will be a good month for crime fiction.


Jen said...

Lesa, there are a number in your closet I'm going to have to check out. But for sure I'm putting DeKok and the Mask of Death on my TBR list. That sounds FANTASTIC!

Clea Simon said...

As a long time New Orleans fan, "Floodgates" is definitely going to the top of my list - perhaps a few of these others, too, as I see them in the bookstore.Thanks, Lesa!

Lesa said...


Baantjer was a terrific discovery for me, Jen. I really like his books.

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Clea. Tempting, aren't they?

Ann Parker said...

Great list! Like Clea, I'm looking forward to Floodgates in particular. And Bob Greene's ... and ... and ...
Oh-oh, Mt. TBR just grew some more ... :-)

Looking forward to visiting the Teague in August!

Lesa said...

Hi Ann!

Looking forward to having you visit us. In fact, I mentioned your books today to someone who asked if I ever reviewed historical mysteries. I always read and review yours!