Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Guest Blogger - Carolyn Haines

I have a special treat for you today. Carolyn Haines, author of the Sarah Booth Delaney Southern Belle Mysteries, is today's guest blogger. Carolyn's latest book in the series, Greedy Bones, will be published on July 7. I'll admit, I have a copy in my treasures pile, and I'm going to get to it shortly. Thank you, Carolyn, for taking time to talk to my readers!


By Carolyn Haines

You would think that writing a book a year and teaching fiction writing at a university would be enough to keep a gal out of trouble. Not true. I have an unfortunate penchant for bad horror movies and practical jokes. Thank goodness I also have a smidgen of my Grandpa McEachern’s Scot-Irish luck. Herein lies the tale of a horror movie, a prank, and my good luck.

Some friends and I went to the one of the Halloween movies. Yes, I know horror movies are most often a waste of time and money. But I love them. And I love going with my friends, except they are all wise to my tricks and know that I intend to try to scare them. On this particular night, they were all sitting very close to me so they could watch me.

A friend had smuggled a full-head gruesome mask into the theatre for me. He and I had conspired to play a joke on the others. But because my girlfriends were all watching me so closely, I couldn’t pull anything on them.

Right in front of us were three young men, all very interested in my girlfriends. They kept looking back at us, wanting badly to flirt. I had found my marks.

When the movie got to a really scary part, I put the mask on my fist and eased it up between two of the young men. And waited. It didn’t take long before one turned to the other to talk. When he saw that gruesome head there, he flipped out.

I swear, he levitated. He was stepping on the backs of seats—and a few movie watcher--as he got out of there! The scream he loosed was blood-curdling, and I’m sure he could have gotten work on sound tracks if we’d had a recording of it.

Of course, I was quite pleased with myself. Until I went outside and the three young men were waiting for me.

Here is where the luck comes in. All three young men had good, healthy hearts. There was no damage from my prank. And they all had a good sense of humor. We talked for a little while in front of the movie, and we parted ways, none the worse for wear.

Looking back, I realize that I could have given that young man a heart attack, scaring him that way. I was very lucky. And lucky that he didn’t punch out my lights. Sometimes people react poorly to that kind of fright.

So I’m trying to reform. There’s a new horror movie scheduled for release at the end of the month, and I’m trying to get all of my friends to go with me. Unfortunately, no one believes that I’ve changed my ways. They all think this is just a master plan to suck them in one more time.

I have become the boy who cried wolf. So, I might as well play another prank, right? Now what would be medium scary, just a good scream but not outright terror? Wolf, you say. How about werewolf?

Thank you, Carolyn!

Carolyn Haines is the author of GREEDY BONES, the 9th in the Sarah Booth Delaney Mississippi Delta mystery series, which will be released July 7 by St. Martin’s Minotaur. She is a 2009 recipient of the Richard Wright Literary Excellence Award and a writing fellowship from the Alabama State Council on the Arts. Her web site is

Shop Indie Bookstores

Greedy Bones by Carolyn Haines. St. Martin's Minotaur, ©2009. ISBN 9780312377106 (hardcover), 320p.


Sarah said...

I can't wait for each Sarah Booth book to come out, and having read the books, somehow I'm not surprised by the pranking!

Sarah Bewley

Dean James said...

Considering you live in a house visited occasionally by ghosts, it's no wonder you like horror movies (and to me, bad horror movie is redundant...) :-) Your wimpy friend, Dean, who probably would have a heart attack if you pulled that on him....

Lesa said...


I hope Carolyn stops by today to say hi, but I can't promise with her busy schedule. Doesn't surprise you a bit, huh?

Lesa said...

I'm with you, Dean. Bad horror movie is redundant. Not my cup of tea, either.

Mary Saums said...

That girl is wild! No horror movies for me either.

I didn't realize the new Bones book was coming out so soon. Looking forward to it, Carolyn.

Thanks Lesa!

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Mary! I'm glad you discovered the new Bones book.

Carolyn said...

Okay, guys, movie date! We have to screen an oldie, like HUSH,HUSH SWEET CHARLOTTE. And I promise not to jump out of any closets!

Lesa said...

Hmmm. I don't know if I believe that, Carolyn. You'll probably come up with something else. And, thanks for stopping by!

Oh, and, if you read this, what is the horror film you're planning to go see?

Hank Phillippi Ryan said...

Oh, they don't make 'em like they used to..Remember The Incredible Shrinking Man? Now THAT was scary. These days, "horror" often means just violence. Yuck.

Sigh. Do I sound like my mother? (Not that there's anything wrong with that...)

Can't wait to read the new Bones!

Lesa said...


I totally agree with you, though. Halloween sent them all down that violence path. My all-time favorite B movie was probably considered a horror film at the time - Them. Love that movie!

Literary Feline said...

That is such a great story. I'm still laughing. :-)

Lesa said...


I'm sure that's just what Carolyn wanted! Thank you!