Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Spinetingler Magazine- Best Reviewer of 2009



Oh, my gosh! I was stunned when Janet Rudolph of Mystery Readers Journal commented here on my blog, congratulating me. Sandra Ruttan, editor of Spinetingler Magazine, announced the winners of the 2009 Spinetingler Awards today. And, I won in the Best Reviewer category. I can't believe it, because there were wonderful book reviewers nominated. Thank you to everyone who voted for me.

Here was the Best Reviewer category:

Best Reviewer: Lesa Holstine from Lesa’s Book Critiques

Also nominated: Ali Karim, Larry Gandle, Karen Chisholm, and
Glenn Harper

And, here are the other Spinetingler categories, winners and nominees.

New Voice

Toby Barlow - SHARP TEETH - WINNER
Declan Hughes - THE PRICE OF BLOOD
John McFetridge - EVERYBODY KNOWS THIS IS NOWHERE
Brian McGilloway - BORDERLANDS
Castle Freeman JR - GO WITH ME
Cornelia Read - THE CRAZY SCHOOL
Kevin Wignall - WHO IS CONRAD HIRST?
Austin Williams - CRIMSON ORGY

Rising Star

Christa Faust - MONEY SHOT - WINNER
Kate Atkinson - WHEN WILL THERE BE GOOD NEWS?
Ray Banks - NO MORE HEROES
Jeffrey Ford - THE SHADOW YEAR
Allan Guthrie - SAVAGE NIGHT
Timothy Hallinan - A NAIL THROUGH THE HEART
Andrew Klavan - EMPIRE OF LIES
Olen Steinhauer - VICTORY SQUARE

Legend

Lawrence Block - HIT AND RUN - WINNER
Lee Child - NOTHING TO LOSE
Robert Crais - CHASING DARKNESS
Joe Lansdale - LEATHER MAIDEN
Dennis Lehane - THE GIVEN DAY
Norah McClintock - DOOLEY TAKES THE FALL
Val McDermid - A DARKER DOMAIN
James Sallis - SALT RIVER

Graphic Novel

Femme Noir by Christopher Mills and Joe Staton - WINNER
100 Bullets by Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso
Criminal by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips
Hawaiian Dick by B. Clay Moore and Steven Griffin
Incognegro by Mat Johnson and Warren Pleece
Scalped by Jason Aaron and R.M. Guera

Best Editor

Charles Ardai - Hard Case Crime - WINNER
Ben LeRoy - Bleak House
Neil Nyren - Putnam
John Schoenfelder - Thomas Dunne


Best Publisher

Hard Case Crime - WINNER
Bleak House
Soho

Special Services to the Industry

J. Kingston Pierce: The Rap Sheet - WINNER
Peter Rozovsky: Detectives Beyond Borders - WINNER
Declan Burke: Crime Always Pays
Barbara Franchi: Reviewing The Evidence
John & Ruth Jordan: Crimespree

Ruth Jordan & Judy Bobalik: Bouchercon 2008

Best Cover

SHARP TEETH by Toby Barlow - Cover design by Christine Van Bree illustrated by Natasha Michaels - WINNER
AT THE CITY’S EDGE by Marcus Sakey - Cover design by The DesignWorks Group
DEATH WAS THE OTHER WOMAN by Linda L Richards - Cover design by David Baldeosignh Rotstein
EMPTY AFTER AFTER by Reed Farrel Coleman - Cover design by 2Faced Designs
FIFTY TO ONE by Charles Ardai - Cover design by Cooley Design Lab
MAD DOGS by Brian Hodge - Cover design by Jill Bauman


Best Short Story on the Web

Hard Bite by by Anonymous-9 (Originally published at Beat to a Pulp) - WINNER

Cold Rifts by Sandra Seamans (Originally published at Crooked)

Fruits by Steve Mosby (Originally published at Spinetingler)

Lenny and Earl Go Shooting Off Their Mouths by Ray Morrison (originally published at Word Riot)

Random Acts of Fatherhood by Robert Pesa (Originally published at Darkest Before the Dawn)

Red Hair and Black Leather by Jordan Harper (Originally published at Thuglit)

She Watches Him Swim by Claude Lalumiere (Originally published at Back Alley)

Sisters Under the Skin by Naomi Johnson (Originally published at A Twist of Noir)

They Take You by Kyle Minor (Originally published at Plots With Guns)

Wishing on Whores by John Weagly (Originally published at Thieves Jargon)


Thank you again, to everyone who voted for me. It's such an honor. And, congratulations to all of the other nominees and winners.

23 comments:

Jen said...

Yea!!! Congratulations Lesa!!!

Lesa said...

Thank you so much, Jen! I still can't believe it.

Jim said...

Lesa,

And here I thought I might be the first to CONGRATULATE you! You certainly deserve it with the dedication & love you put into it!

Love Jim

libraryann said...

You are a Rock Star.

no news there.....

Lesa said...

Thank you, Jim. Jen is as faithful reader of my blog as you are. And, she has her own terrific blog as well.

I love my blog. Thanks for the congratulations, and ALL of the support. (As a matter of fact, I have a posting for tomorrow to work on tonight. - grin)

Lesa said...

Ah, Ann.

From one of my favorite people in the whole world. Thank you!

Hugs.

Patricia said...

Hi Lesa,


Congratulations! You have given me so many hours of reading pleasure and have introduced me to books I just might have missed. You're the best!

Corey Wilde said...

Congratulations on a well-deserved award.

Lesa said...

Patricia!

That's just what a librarian wants to hear "hours of reading pleasure" and I introduced your to books you might have have missed. Thank you so much. That's the whole reason I started this blog - to share books.

Lesa said...

Thank you SO much, Corey. I really appeciate it.

Cathy said...

Congratulations, Lesa! You work so hard on your blog and put so much into it. I'm thrilled to see you win this well-deserved award.

Sandra Ruttan said...

I love letting the news trickle out. Of course, I'd promised Jeff at The Rap Sheet I'd let him know when the winners were announced, but otherwise I didn't contact any of the winners myself. I imagine people going about their day, and then getting some cryptic message and having that, "Oh my God!" moment, so your description of learning the news was perfect. There's nothing like giving people a good surprise.

Congratulations!

Lesa said...

Cathy,

Thank you so much for the comments about how hard I work. I do, because I love sharing it. Thank you!

Lesa said...

Sandra!

Thank you! I can't tell you how shocked I was to hear from Janet Rudolph, and then how excited I was. This is the nicest award to receive, since people voted on it. I've been on cloud 9 all day. Thank you, again. And, it was a wonderful way to find out!

Molly said...

Congratulations! I always look forward to reading your book reviews and author interviews. They are always written with such caring detail. You have introduced me to many wonderful new reads that I would have never found on my own.

Lesa said...

Molly,

You don't know how much it means to me as you say I've introduced you to new books you would not have found. Thank you. Thank you. It just makes me feel so good.

Peter Rozovsky said...

High five!
==============
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://www.detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

Lesa said...

And, definitely returned, Peter! Way to go!

Clea Simon said...

Congratulations.

I think anyone who reads your blog (or sees your reviews when they're picked up in print) knows why you won. Instead of the usual-these-days quickie judgment calls – all "thumb's up/thumb's down" – you provide thoughtful analysis. A well deserved win!

Lesa said...

Clea,

You don't know how much your comments mean to me, coming from a journalist. Thank you.

Denise Dietz said...

YAY Lesa. I'm grinning from ear to ear and that's not easy with my cheekbones. Many hugs, Deni

Lesa said...

Thank you, Deni! Now, do you have a round face like mine, with lots of cheek, and little cheekbone?

文章 said...

AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,性愛,聊天室,情色,a片,AV女優