Friday, May 01, 2009

Buy Indie Day!

Today is Buy Indie Day, which means buy something from your local or favorite independent bookstore. If you've noticed, lately I've been running the logo on my blog. I encourage everyone to support those independent booksellers who do so much for our local communities, and for the world of books.

My favorite independent bookstore is the Poisoned Pen in Scottsdale, AZ. I wasn't going over there today, but I called them up and ordered two books so I could pick them up later in the week.

I'm a big Kate Ellis fan, and her books are hard to find in this country. But, Poisoned Pen carries them. So, I'll be picking up her book, The Devil's Priest. Here's the description from her website. "In 1539 King Henry VIII is completing his ruthless destruction of England’s monasteries. And the ripples of this seismic change are felt even in the small northern port of Liverpool.

"When novice nun, Agnes Moore, ejected from her convent and staying with resentful relatives, claims to have been attacked in the ancient chapel of St Mary del Quay on Liverpool’s waterfront by Satan himself, her former abbess, Lady Katheryn Bulkeley, comes to her aid. Then a young priest is found dead in the River Mersey, his right hand hacked off, and Katheryn suspects that Liverpool harbours some disturbing secrets." There's more, but I don't really like to read too much description before I read the book.

The other book I bought was Louise Ure's Liar's Anonymous. I've already
read it, but my library's book budget is tighter than usual this year. Every library in Arizona should own this, with the Phoenix and Tucson settings, so now my library will have a copy.

What did you buy today from your favorite independent bookstore? And, name that bookstore!

14 comments:

Ruth @ Bookish Ruth said...

My favorite bookstore is Trappe Book Center in Trappe, PA. I was planning a trip there today, but unfortunately was under the weather. I'll be making that visit over the weekend or early next week.

I did order two books from Aaron's Books in Lititz, PA. I bought Maisie Dobbs and Sherlock Holmes in America.

Lesa said...

Sorry to hear you were not feeling well, Ruth. Even so, it can't keep us from our favorite addiction, can it?

Louise Ure said...

Thank you, Lesa! I'm delighted to be gracing your shelves with the new one. Hope to see you at the signing at Poisoned Pen.

Lesa said...

I should be there, Louise! The new one needs to be on our shelves!

Anonymous said...

I know one online book store from where u can get some best selling books online, which is:
http://www.eshop.talash.com/shop/category/books_&_magazines,
www.rediff.com

roshni said...

Thankx a lot to share this....
I think you can do better to online free submission sites like
www.appspublisher.com, www.free-ebooks.net, www.DorrancePublishing.com... which you help you a lot ....

Lesa said...

Thanks for sending these websites for books.

jack said...

I recommend Online Shopping related sites which offers online books, gifts and many more at very cheap rate and buy books, magazines and many more through this site.


http://www.eshop.ahmedabad.com/shop/category/books_&_magazines

Lesa said...

Thanks, Jack.

caite said...

I have been reading some excerpts of Liar's Anonymous online this week and I fear I am going to be forced to buy it.

Lesa said...

Gotcha, Caite!

Now, you can see why my library needs to have it. I'll pick it up tonight. I'm going to Poisoned Pen to hear Jane K. Cleland.

shilp said...

my favourite independent book store is www.allindiagifts.com from where I can buy each type of books at very cheap rate and also any type of gifts.

Kinjal said...

This is really very well written i think you just keep doing this...
www.appspublisher.com


Thank's a lot...

Rocky said...

Its good to see ur collection of nice blog and also different types of books collection but if u want to buy any book than visit online book store.

http://www.eshop.webindia123.com/shop/category/books_&_magazines