Saturday, May 02, 2009

Agatha Winners!

I have nothing against the Edgar winners, but the Agathas are definitely much more my type of awards. And, it was very nice to learn from Carl Brookins that two of my friends won. Congratulations to Chris Grabenstein & Louise Penny!

Here are the award winners, as posted by Carl Brookins.


Best Children’s/Young Adult
The Crossroads by Chris Grabenstein for Random House

Best Short Story,
“The Night Things Changed,” by Dana Cameron for Penguin Group

Best Non-Fiction
How to Write Killer Historical Mysteries by Kathy Lynn Emerson for Perseverance Press

Best First Novel
Death of a Cozy Writer by G.M. Malliet for Midnight Ink

Best Novel
The Cruelest Month by Louise Penny for St. Martin’s Press

Congratulations to the winners!


Kay said...

Yea! I'm so pleased for both Louise and also for Chris Grabenstein! I still need to read THE CROSSROADS and I'm waiting anxiously for his new Ceepak book coming out in June I think. Of course, I'm thrilled for Louise. So deserving!

And, yes, I feel much more comfortable with the authors nominated for the Agatha awards. I think I've read at least none book by all of them.

Lesa said...

Like you, I've read at least one book by all of the Agatha award nominees. Whereas, I hadn't even heard of most of the titles that were up for Edgars.

Interesting rant about the Edgars by the gentleman from Stop You're Killing Me, on DorothyL.

Isn't it terrific that Louise and Chris won Agathas? I'm so happy for Louise.

Kay said...

I'll have to get back with you on the DorothyL rant. I'm reading this week's posts now and am still on Monday I think. I may have to scroll forward to see about it. :-)

Kaye Barley said...

The only book/author I had a whole lot of interest in for the Edgars was Louise Ure and she did not win, which made me kinda sad. I think she is a terrific writer who, hopefully, will start getting some more much deserved notice after this nomination.

The Agatha nominees are more fun for me too, because - like you, I'm much more familiar with the authors. And I join you in big heaping, hearty congratulations to Chris and Louise!!! What a rush.

Lesa said...

Like you, Kaye, I think Louise Ure is underappreciated. It just shows you when her latest book wasn't in our McNaughton catalog, which is the only way we're getting books at this time of year.

And, Louise's blog today is just so filled with joy that she unexpectedly won.