Sunday, February 08, 2009

Sunday Salon - March's Hot Titles

When I was in Lee County, I started a Hot Titles list to let patrons know what books would be coming out shortly. This month, I didn't do my monthly "possible bestsellers" list. I think a Hot Titles list is so much more appropriate. So, I'm starting my Hot Titles list again. This is my list. I'm sure others will have books they think will be hot. But, this list gives me the opportunity to promote some midlist mystery titles that might never make a bestseller list. But, I find some of them so much more interesting than some of the bestsellers.

So, here is my personal list of hot titles for March, books that are scheduled for March publication.

I just finished the ARC of Sandi Ault's Wild Sorrow. I hadn't read any of the books featuring Bureau of Land Management agent, Jamaica Wild. I'll be reading future books in this series that is reminiscent of a cross between Tony Hillerman and Nevada Barr. When Jamaica takes shelter in an abandoned building, she discovers the body of an Anglo woman, who once taught at the Indian boarding school, where children were taken to be Americanized. Wild, with her wolf, Mountain, is sensitive to the past, and the resulting mystery is heartbreaking.

Rhys Bowen brings back Irish P.I. Molly Murphy for In a Gilded Cage, for a fight for women's suffrage that lands Molly in jail. It's New York City during a flu epidemic and gang battles.

For those who are fans of Jennifer Chiaverini's Elm Creek Quilts series, her new book, The Lost Quilter, will be a treat. More than 100 years after a runaway slave and quilter named Joanna traveled the Underground Railroad, Master Quilter Sylvia Compson recovers her letters, ones that transport her into the thick of the Civil War.

Harlan Coben's Long Lost brings Terese Collins back into Myron Bolitar's life. A brief relationship ended in years of silence, but Terese is in Paris now, and needs Myron's help.

Joanne Fluke's Hannah Swensen mysteries are always popular, for the mouth-watering recipes, as well as the stories. In Cream Puff Murder, Hannah's part-time boyfriend, Detective Mike Kingston, is the primary suspect in the murder of a woman found in a Jacuzzi.
It will take Hannah, and her connections, to prove his innocence.

Malice is Lisa Jackson's intriguing story of a detective who wakes up in a hospital room to see his first wife standing in the doorway. But, she died twelve years earlier.

True Detectives will probably be another bestseller for Jonathan Kellerman. A detective and his half-brother, a cop, only agree on one thing. They'll consult Alex Delaware to help them untangle the fate of Caitlin Forstig, who vanished two years earlier, and hasn't been heard from since.

Of course I'm going to mention Laura Lippman's Life Sentences. Lippman will be appearing at the library as part of our Authors @ The Teague series. When a successful memoirist returns home to Baltimore to dig a tragedy surrounding a former classmate, she discovers that her own life might not be what it seems.

Lisa Lutz brings the Spellmans back in Revenge of the Spellmans. Isabel is in therapy, while working the case of an errant wife. And, Henry is involved with the Assistant District Attorney, a relationship that causes problems in the family.

Handle with Care is Jodi Picoult's story of a couple whose daughter was born with physical ailments.

March looks like a good month. There are other books due out, by Randy Wayne White, Karen Robards, Jude Deveraux. I already mentioned the treasures in my closet, books expected to come out in March. Place your holds at your local library as soon as you can. Or, if you can afford to buy a book, why don't you preorder one from your favorite independent bookstore? I'll be picking up a couple titles myself from Poisoned Pen Bookstore. Who knows? They might become prizes in future book contests.

Are there any titles published in March that have raised your expectations?

14 comments:

Scrap girl said...

I am really looking forward to The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry which is available in Britain at the beginning of April. I have heard such good things about it.

wisteria said...

I loved your review of Wild Sorrow and it does look like a book I will plan on reading thanks to your critique. Have a great week!!

Lesa said...

Scrap Girl,

I haven't read The Lace Reader, but I know it did have a really good reception in the U.S.

Lesa said...

Thank you, Wisteria. I really enjoyed Wild Sorrow. Ault combines a love of the natural world, with the history of the local native tribe, and mystery. It's beautifully done.

Thanks! Starting my week off with an author visit to the library today.

Jen said...

Oh for crying out loud! More books I have to read! LOL I'm definitely looking forward to the return of Myron, and like Wisteria I'm very intrigued by Wild Sorrow. I follow the Alex Delaware series, but I think I'm behind. I still have to read COMPULSION first. I actually like that series more for Mylo than Alex, but whatever! LOL

Thanks, Lesa!

Lesa said...

I know, Jen. It's a real problem with all of those books, isn't it? I had to smile when I read your first couple lines. Sometimes, when I get a bunch of books at the library or in the mail at the same time, that's exactly what I think!

samantha.1020 said...

Wow! It looks like there are some good books coming out next month. Thanks for the great list.

Yvonne said...

Those March books all sound great and quite a few of them are on my shopping list!

Have a great Sunday!

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Samantha!

Enjoy!

Lesa said...

Nice Sunday, Yvonne. We hosted author Leighton Gage at the library. It will be up on my blog tomorrow.

caite said...

I have enjoyed a number of Laura Lippman's books. Gosh, I wish I lived closer to your library. I would love to get a signed copy of her new one.
I love her take on Baltimore.

Lesa said...

Caite,

I wish you lived closer to my library as well. I'm sure you'd be a regular at some of the book signings. And, I know I'd see you here for Laura Lippman!

I do enjoy the authors who make a city or location their own.

caite said...

How can I live in the densely populated state in the USA and still be in the middle of nowhere? ;-)

Lesa said...

I'm sorry, Caite. What can I say to answer that question? At least you're in the heart of Jeff Cohen and Janet Evanovich country!