Sunday, February 01, 2009

Sunday Salon - Books Read in January


Exact same number of books read in January as last January - 11. It doesn't sound like much, but I ended up with 169 books. Here's the list of books, mysteries first.

Caravaggio's Angel by Ruth Brandon - Reggie Lee, an art curator, tries to bring together 3 Caravaggio paintings, despite deaths, and a possible fourth copy.

Ding Dong Dead by Deb Baker - The Phoenix Dollers' new doll museum doesn't have anything to do with the body Gretchen Birch found, and the epitaph, "Die, Dolly, Die," does it?

The Sky Took Him by Donis Casey - Alafair Tucker & two daughters travel to be with Alafair's sister while her husband is dying, but her son-in-law is missing on a business trip.

A Rule Against Murder by Louise Penny - Another marvelous Armand Gamache mystery by Penny. This one is a tribute to Agatha Christie. Gamache and his wife are on their yearly vacation to a remote lodge, where a large family is having a reunion. It has to be the family or staff member who killed one of the family members.


The Anna Mae Mysteries: The Golden Treasure
by L.S. Cauldwell - Juvenile mystery in which Anna Mae, her brother, and a friend look for Jefferson Davis' lost gold, while she deals with bullies and racism.

Death Was in the Picture - Linda L. Richards - Kitty Pangborn's detective boss was set up to be a witness to a murder, with a major movie star as the main suspect. But, Kitty and Dex set out to prove his innocence in Depression-era LA.

Buried Strangers by Leighton Gage - After family bodies turn up in an unmarked cemetery in Brazil, Silva and his team investigate. And, then one of their own cops is missing, while undercover on the investigation.

Non-mysteries

The Suicide Collectors by David Oppegaard - The Despair has settled over the world, and the Suicide Collectors pick up the bodies of those who killed themselves. But, Norman, from a small Florida town, fights against them, and then takes off across country, looking for help.


The Necklace: Thirteen Women and the Experiment that Transformed Their Lives
by Cheryl James - True story of thirteen women who bought a diamond necklace together, and the changes it brought to their lives.

Plum Spooky by Janet Evanovich - One of the best recent Evanovich novels. Soon after she finds a monkey named Carl outside her door, Diesel shows up, hoping one of Stephanie's bail jumpers will lead him to a man planning vast destruction.

Sleepwalking in Daylight by Elizabeth Flock - As a woman drifts out of her marriage, her daughter turns to drugs and sex in a cry for help, one that is never recognized by her parents.

Eleven books doesn't sound like much, but if there are good books each month, that's all that counts.

12 comments:

wisteria said...

Great list Lesa and I agree with you. It is not the number but the quality. If I look back and see that I spent the time on good books I am happy.
I read 9 in January. I don't remember last January, because I didn't blog then.
All of my books are 400 or nearly 400 pages so they aren't quickie reads.

Have a great week! Wisteria :)

Literary Feline said...

Eleven books sounds like an awful lot to me! But I do know that each of us is different and what one person thinks is an overwhelming amount, another may think is not quite enough. And, as you said, quality is what matters most.

Here's hoping for another great reading month!

gautami tripathy said...

Wonderful list! Love the cover too!

January was well...very productive

samantha.1020 said...

I think 11 books sound like a great number and it looks like you read some really good ones!

L.J. Sellers said...

Thanks for posting great (and brief) reviews. I almost always add something you've read to my TRB list.

Lesa said...

Thanks, Wisteria, Wendy, Gautami Tripathy, and Samantha! It was a good reading month. And, I didn't get back to my blog earlier because I was finishing the first book of February - fantastic one! I read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, and it was terrific. I'll be blogging it on Tuesday.

Lesa said...

Thank you, L.J. I'm glad you usually find something interesting!

Yvonne said...

I have to get back to reading the Deb Baker series. I read the first two books and enjoyed them, but haven't had time to continue.

I have Louise Penny's series, but haven't started them either. They look wonderful.

Lesa said...

Oh, Yvonne! I hope you like Louise Penny's series. I think it's one of the best series out there right now.

M. L. Kiner said...

"The Hong Kong Connection" is a legal thriller about a gutsy female attorney who takes on high ranking International officials. It's a taut, rollercoaster of a ride from New York to Palm Beach to Washington D.C. to Hong Kong. The plot is expertly woven, the characters persuasive, and the dialogue snappy and spot on.
www.StrategicBookPublishing.com/TheHongKongConnection.html

Sandra said...

Eleven books in a month is good, as you say it works out to be a good steady rate and a lot accomplished in a year. I want to read The Suicide Collectors myself.
And I have a copy of The Necklace to look forward to. You look like an avid mystery reader, I used to read a lot of them. I did a January reading review in my Sunday Salon too. Happy reading in February.

Lesa said...

Thank you, Sandra! It's already been a happy reading month. I finished Suzanne Collins' The Hunger Games, and LOVED it! Terrific book.

Yes, I am an avid mystery readers, and I'd say 60-70% of my reading is mysteries.