Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Vampires and Werewolves and Witches, Oh My!

On Thursday, I'm teaching a Readers' Advisory class, and I've been updating my handouts. I've talked to other librarians about the Christian Fiction section, Science Fiction, African-American Literature, and Fantasy. And, I found I was missing some popular authors, who didn't fall easily into one section. Where do you put the authors who write about vampires, werewolves and witches? Some of them fall under Urban Fantasy. But, Charlaine Harris' Southern Vampire series, featuring Sookie Stackhouse falls somewhat in the mystery genre. Mystery fans discovered her first, and now the series is going to appear on HBO as True Blood. And, some of the authors write romances.

So, since it's my class, I created my own category. Don't look for Stephenie Meyer on this list. She's under Fantasy, with J.K. Rowling and Christopher Paolini, as Young Adult Authors Who Appeal to Adults. My category is Vampires, Werewolves and Witches, since many fans seem to cross over. Here are the authors on my list. I mentioned Bram Stoker's Dracula as the classic, and credited Anne Rice and Buffy The Vampire Slayer for making the books popular. If someone is missing, they just might be on one of my other lists for the class. Feel free to add your favorite authors to the list.

Kelley Armstrong
L.A. Banks
Patricia Briggs
Douglas Clegg
Mary Janice Davidson
P.N. Elrod
Christine Feehan
Laurell K. Hamilton
Lori Handeland
Charlaine Harris
Tanya Huff
Sherrilyn Kenyon
Susan Krinard
Maggie Shayne
Chelsea Quinn Yarbro

So, enjoy some vampires, werewolves and witches!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lesa,
Loved your blog on Dennis Lehane! I'm looking forward to seeing him in March!
Maryellen

Lesa said...

Thanks, Maryellen!

And, when I mentioned the festival, he said, I'm going back there! So, he remembers. He was terrific.

Shannon said...

Hey Lesa,

Jennifer Armintrout's BLOOD TIES series has become one of my favorites. Loved the first book, second book made me mad, she redeemed herself with book 3 and I've got book 4 on my TBR pile. I'm a big reader of the vampire books and I can tell you she's not like Charlaine Harris or Mary Janice Davidson. Much darker.
Michelle Bardsley is another great author if you're looking for the humorous vampy books.

Lesa said...

Thanks, Shannon,

I'm always looking to add to the list, so I appreciate it!