Saturday, October 04, 2008

The Poisoned Pen Bookstore's 19th Anniversary



The Poisoned Pen Bookstore in Scottsdale, Arizona is one of the treasures of the Valley. On Friday, Oct. 3, The Poisoned Pen celebrated its nineteenth anniversary. This special bookstore is a full service general bookstore with a specialty in crime fiction. Barbara Peters, the owner, said she started the store nineteen years ago as a hobby. Now, the store is in the fourth version, starting on the twentieth year.

The Poisoned Pen is the place to go to hear and meet authors. Just in October, the store has already hosted the National Launch Party of Phoenix Media Star Jana Bommersback for her new true-crime Bones in the Desert, and Dennis Lehane, author of The Given Day. Tess Gerritsen with her new book, The Keepsake, and Terry Brooks, author of the Shannara books, are scheduled this month.

Over the years, the bookstore has received numerous honors. The store won the 2001 Raven Award from the Mystery Writers of America!; it has been Winner, The Arizona Republic and the New Times Best of Phoenix and Best of Scottsdale, Best Bookstore!; and a Nominee, Publishers Weekly's Bookseller of the Year.

So, what's the future for this special bookstore in an age when so many independent bookstores fold when owners move on? Barbara Peters, who now refers to herself as a volunteer bookseller, spends a great deal of time traveling. She's quoted as saying, "When I go traveling, no paycheck goes with me. And there is no interruption in service to you thanks to the admirable Poisoned Pen professionals. My status has been more that of volunteer for several years in preparation for a new generation of Poisoned Pen ownership. We want the transition to be as seamless as possible."

So, those of us who love The Poisoned Pen can look forward to more years of enjoyment at the bookstore. Congratulations to The Poisoned Pen Bookstore, and Barbara Peters, for nineteen years of service to the reading community.


The Poisoned Pen Bookstore is located at 4014 N Goldwater Blvd., Suite 101, Scottsdale, Arizona 85251. Telephone:(888)560-9919 or (480)947-2974.

Their website is www.poisonedpen.com

6 comments:

Martin Edwards said...

This shop certainly is a treasure. The one time I was in Scottsdale, it was almost impossible to tear myself away.

Lesa said...

Thank you, Martin. I know I've certainly enjoyed it over the last four years, and, if I lived closer, I'd be there even more often.

Cathy said...

If I lived any closer, I'd be bankrupt. I love the store, the books, and the people who work there.

Lesa said...

You're right, Cathy. Even if I don't buy the author's hardcover, I usually end up buying a couple paperbacks to give as prizes on my blog. I guess I should be glad I live across county, huh?

Joy said...

What a beautiful looking store! And, apparently beautiful people within it, too. :)

Lesa said...

And, I understand from Twitter that Barbara, and her husband, Robert Rosenwald, just received Lifetime Achievement Awards at Bouchercon. Robert owns Poisoned Pen Press. Well-deserved!