Saturday, October 11, 2008

Heartshot

Somehow, in my mystery reading, I missed Steve F. Havill's Posadas County Mysteries. After I read the most recent one for a review, I went back and picked up the first in the series, Heartshot. Fortunately, between the first and the most recent, I have thirteen more books in this terrific series of police procedurals.

Posadas County, New Mexico is a border county with a small population. But, it's a large enough county to cause problems for the sheriff's department. When a car accident kills five teens, Undersheriff Bill Gastner reports to the scene. When $150,000 worth of cocaine is found in the car, he calls for his best detective, Estelle Reyes.

Gastner is over sixty, overweight, and smokes too much. But, he's totally committed to his job, and he and Reyes won't quit until they find the person behind the drugs. But, suddenly, they have two more deaths on their hands. Gastner is determined to restore peace, and find a killer, or die trying.

After reading two books in this series, I have to say it's refreshing to read a police procedural in which the department works together, and respects each other. In many books, it wouldn't come as a surprise to find the sixty-year-old white male cop who doesn't like the Hispanic female deputy. Havill's characters respect each other, and work together to solve crimes. This is a satisfying series for those of us who love interesting, well-developed characters, a large number of books in which to read about those characters, and fascinating plots.

If you love good police procedurals, you won't want to miss Steven F. Havill's Heartshot.

Heartshot by Steven F. Havill. Poisoned Pen Press, published 2000. ISBN 9781890208295 (paperback), 208p.

6 comments:

Joy said...

I'm putting it on my list. The library system here has them all! :)

Lesa said...

Oh, you're lucky, Joy! I had to get this one through ILL; I'm waiting for the second one. We only have one copy in the system, and it's checked out. And, I'm going to have to borrow the third as well through ILL. I'm determined to read them all, though.

Literary Feline said...

I am not familiar with this series either. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, Lesa!

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Wendy. As I said, I read the first and the last, and loved them both. Looking forward to the other 13!

Don't you love it when there's a whole new series? Or, do you feel overwhelmed by the numbers?

Literary Feline said...

In response to your question: it depends. If I haven't yet started a series but am thinking about it, seeing that there are many books already out, I can feel overwhelmed (Terry Pratchett's series comes to mind). However, if it is a series I've just started and really like, I am quite pleased I have so much to look forward to still.

Lesa said...

You're right. I feel the same way about Terry Pratchett. That's how I feel about Ed McBain's series, too. I think I'll discuss this on Sunday Salon. It's a good topic, and I like your answer.