Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Books Read During September

I read 19 books during September. And, that doesn't include the picture books I read for review. I'm just two books ahead of last year's pace, but I know I'm behind my niece, Elizabeth. She challenged me to beat her this year, and I don't think I will.

But, here's the list of books I read during September.

Death Books a Return by Marion Moore Hill - Juanita Wills, librarian in Wyndham, Oklahoma, is stymied in trying to investigate a racial murder that occurred in 1959.

A Single Thread by Marie Bostwick - A divorced woman moves to New Bern, Connecticut, where she opens a quilt shop, and finds her new friends willing to help her when she's diagnosed with cancer.

The Funeral Director's Son by Coleen Murtagh Paratore - Juv fiction about a funeral director's son who has a "gift"; he can talk to the dead.

Blood Memory by Margaret Coel - Denver investigative reporter Catherine McLeod realizes she's an assassin's target because of her stories, possibly one about the Arapahos trying to reclaim land.

The Last Queen by C.W. Gortner - Historical fiction about the life of Queen Juana la Loca of Spain.

Bookhunter by Shiga - Graphic novel about library police looking for a book thief.

Savvy by Ingrid Law - Juv fiction. At 13, the Beaumonts come into their savvy, an unusual gift, such as the ability to create hurricanes. But, Mibs only wants to get to her father, who is in the hospital when Mibs turns 13.

The Green Revolution by Ralph McInerny - Mystery set at the University of Notre Dame in 2007, when the football team was lousy, resulting in campus unrest.

The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett - The classic mystery in which Sam Spade searches for a missing statuette.

Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World by Vicki Myron & Bret Witler - True story of Spencer, Iowa's beloved library cat, as told by the library director.

The Chameleon Wore Chartreuse by Bruce Hale - Juv fiction that introduces Chet Gecko, a fourth grade detective, who looks for a missing chameleon.

White Nights by Ann Cleeves - Police officer Jimmy Perez investigates the death of an unknown man in a small Shetland Island community.

Sweet Revenge by Diane Mott Davidson - While preparing to cater a library Christmas party, Goldy Schulz thinks she sees the murderer of her ex-husband, just before a former D.A. is found dead.

Click: What Millions of People Are Doing Online and Why It Matters by Bill Tancer - What is happening on the Internet, based on data analysis.

The Humpty Dumpty Jr.: Hardboiled Detective mysteries by Nate Evans, Paul Hindman & Vince Evans - The Case of the Fiendish Flapjack Flop, and The Mystery of Merlin and the Gruesome Ghost - Juvenile fiction - Mysteries designed for middle school boys that introduce the detective and his sidekick, a boy named Rat.

The Fourth Time Is Murder by Steven F. Havill - A Posadas County mystery in which Undersheriff Estelle Reyes-Guzman looks into an accident that may actually involve murder, and a strange sweepstakes scam.

Mike's Election Guide 2008 by Michael Moore - What the Democrats need to do to win in 2008.

Read On...Crime Fiction: Reading Lists for Every Taste by Barry Trott - Lists and summaries of crime fiction, broken down by appeal.

8 comments:

Anglers Rest said...

I first saw A Single Thread by Marie Bostwick on your shelfari a month or so ago and now impatient for it to be released at Amazon. The UK site says 6th Dec,.....2 months and 4 days not that I'm counting LOL!

Lesa said...

I know. I put it on Shelfari, but the review isn't even on my blog yet since I actually reviewed if for Library Journal. I have to wait to post the review until it appears in the journal on Oct. 15.

Since you're a Macomber fan, you'll like this one. It'll remind you of her books.

Anglers Rest said...

Yesterday I order the latest Jennifer Chiaverini from Amazon and hoped to order it, but then realised it was not available here yet, sob, sob! but consoled myself with ordering this one:

The Sweetgum Knit Lit Society
http://www.amazon.com/Sweetgum-Knit-Lit-Society-Novel/dp/1400073944/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222968615&sr=8-1

Lesa said...

It can be just as frustrating on this side of the Atlantic. You get Lee Child and Louise Penny's books before we do.

Anglers Rest said...

I wonder why books are published either side of the pond at different times? I'm just impatient as I am keen to have some escapism! Although my parcel from Amazon should arrive today so things are looking up!

Lesa said...

That's a publisher's secret I don't understand either. I hope you get that parcel of books today.

Anglers Rest said...

They arrived (horray!) and look great! I am away part of next week so they are my traveling reading material.

Lesa said...

Very good! Enjoy your books, and your trip.