Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Banned Books Week, The Most Frequently Challenged Authors

Banned Books Week is observed from Sept. 27-Oct. 4 this year. It's also Right to Read Week.

Do you know which authors were the most frequently challenged in 2007? The American Library Association defines a challenge as "a formal, written complaint, filed with a library or school requesting that materials be removed because of content or appropriateness." As I mentioned before, this often stirs up interest in a book or author. So, some authors have defiantly thanked the people who try to ban their books.

If you don't recognize these authors, it's because the majority of them write for children and young adults. I didn't know who Joann Sfar is. He's an author and graphic illustrator.

These are the most frequently challenged authors of 2007, according to ALA's Office of Intellectual Freedom.

1. Robert Cormier

2. Peter Parnell and Justin Richardson

3. Mark Twain

4. Toni Morrison

5. Philip Pullman

6. Kevin Henkes

7. Lois Lowry

8. Chris Crutcher

9. Lauren Myracle

10. Joann Sfar

Have you read a banned book this week? Celebrate your right to read!

2 comments:

Patti O said...

I posted on my blog about Banned Books week--I chose to talk about A Wrinkle in Time.
http://pattispenandpicks.blogspot.com/

Lesa said...

One of my all-time favorites, Patti! Thanks. I'll check it out.