Monday, September 01, 2008

October Treasures in My Closet

I don't know if my closet has ever had such a large stack of books scheduled for publication in one month. October looks like a true treasure for readers. And, this isn't even the list of other hot books, just the ones I have in my closet. The other list will appear tomorrow.

Check out this eclectic mix of books, mysteries, romances, and nonfiction. There has to be something here that you'd like to order from your favorite bookstore, or place on hold at your local public library.

My pile of books is topped by Zoë Sharp's Third Strike, a thriller in which
Charlie Fox must save the life of her own father. It's a story of blackmail, treachery, and murder.

For the first time together in one volume, Laura Lippman has a collection of award-winning short stories and a novella. It's Hardly Knew Her.

I'm excited about Jana Bommersbach's true crime book, Bones in the Desert. She focuses on the murder of Loretta Bowersock, a murder here in Arizona. And, Bommersbach will speak at my library in December.

Betsy Thornton's mystery, A Song for You, is another book with an Arizona setting. Thornton includes her victim's advocate, Chloe Newcombe, when an uncovered body brings a cold case back into focus.

The Arizona frontier is the setting for Linda Lael Miller's romance, The Rustler. When outlaw Wyatt Yarbro goes to Stone Creek to go straight, he sees Sarah Tamlin as the perfect angel to help him clean up his act.

Sean Chercover's Trigger City is an intriguing story of a detective whose case leads him into the secret world of America's military contractors and the intelligence community, creating a fight between the FBI and the Department of Homeland Security. Sounds like a timely book.

Sarah's Key by Tatiana De Rosnay takes readers to Paris in 1942, when a young Jewish girl locks her younger brother in the cupboard to save him from arrest by the French police, promising to return. Sixty years later, an American journalist stumbles onto the family secrets.

Christine Barber's The Replacement Child is the first winner of the Tony Hillerman prize for best debut mystery set in the Southwest. When the night editor of Santa Fe's Capital Tribune answers the phone to fine the notorious Scanner Lady on the phone, she doesn't know she's involving herself in a murder case. For the Scanner Lady is killed soon after saying she heard two Santa Fe cops discussing a dead body.

The Catch is the latest Joe Gunther novel by Archer Mayor. Gunther, now head of the Vermont Bureau of Investigation investigates the killing of an officer in the line of duty, and a major drug-running operation.

Ken Bruen's Once Were Cops unleashes a sociopathic Irish cop and an unstable New York cop on the streets of New York.

Eric Stone brings back Ray Sharp in Flight of the Hornbill, a "thrill ride through an exotic Asian landscape" in a story about gold found in Sumatra. Or was it?

Mark Billingham's In the Dark is a stand-alone thriller set in the gritty streets of South London, where teenage gangs clash with career criminals.

Ex-NYPD detectives Joe Serpe and Bob Healy team up again in Tony Spinosa's The Fourth Victim. When five oil truck drivers were robbed and shot to death, the killer made a mistake. The fourth victim was a former cop who once saved Joe Serpe's life.

One of my favorite romance writers, Holly Jacobs, has a holiday story, Once Upon a Thanksgiving, about a single mom with four kids, who is stretched a little too thin.

Rowena Cherry's romances are a little hotter than Holly's. Knight's Fork features the Queen Consort of the Volnoth who needs a sperm donor. She just happens to pick the son of her greatest enemy, who has taken a vow of chastity.

There's even a Christmas story in my October pile, Debbie Macomber's A Cedar Cove Christmas. It's the Christmas story, reenacted in Cedar Cove, when a pregnant woman shows up, needing a place to stay.

Five nonfiction books round out the pile. John Grogran, author of the bestseller, Marley & Me, tells his own story in the memoir, The Longest Trip Home.

Actress Diahann Carroll relates her story in The Legs Are the Last to Go: Aging, Acting, Marrying & Other Things I Learned the Hard Way.

Steve Dorsey tells Tales from the Dad Side, Misadventures in Fatherhood, in a humorous collection.

I even have an odd reference book, Genius and Heroin by Michael Largo. It asks why so many creative geniuses are self-destructive, in the form of an illustrated catalogue.

The fat book on the bottom of the pile is Peter Golenbock's In the Country of Brooklyn: Inspiration to the World. It's a social history of the borough and it's ethnic and social background.

Is there anything here that whets your appetite? If not, check back tomorrow. If there is, don't forget to place a hold at your local library, or order it now from your favorite bookstore.

20 comments:

Jen said...

I just finished Sarah's Key. It is a very moving story. I'm always affected by WWII stories, and this was an element I hadn't known about prior to reading it.

I'm looking forward to Chercover's new book as well. Ironically I was one of the few who wasn't totally bowled over by his first novel - maybe I was expecting too much - but I do think he has a lot of potential so I'm going to stick with him.

And there are quite a few more on your list I'll have to check into...oh, so many wonderful, wonderful books...thanks Lesa!

pattinase (abbott) said...

I've been meaning to read a Billingham book for a long time. But I can't read as many as you to. It's taking me a week to read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn for my bookgroup.

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Jen. Thanks for the comment about Sarah's Key. I know I won't have time to get to all of those books, but there are some good ones in the pile.

At the moment, November doesn't look as bad. Maybe I can catch up on October then.

Lesa said...

Patti,

I'm not going to get through that entire pile either. As I said, I read 12 or 13 a month. There are more in that pile alone!

Kay said...

I have SARAH'S KEY here to read sometime. It sounds really good. I've also been considering whether my mystery group might like to read Zoe Sharp. What do you think? Our library has enough copies of FIRST DROP.

Lesa said...

Have you read Zoe's First Drop, Kay, or do you wait to read the books until your group does? I liked First Drop. It did a great job of introducing a tough woman who can handle herself. I'd recommend it for your mystery group, but don't blame me if it isn't for everyone. (grin) Of course, that might make for a better discussion.

caryn said...

Lesa, What a great pile of books! I've added several titles not to put on hold at the library.
The thing with the Zoe Sharp books is, weren't there tow or three that were never published in the US that came first? I think I have one of them and was going to read it before I read the others, but if First drop introduces Charlie Fox, then maybe I'll start that series now.TOO MANY BOOK CHOICES!

Lesa said...

Caryn,

First Strike introduces Charlie Fox in the U.S. Yes, there were some earlier books in the U.K., but you don't have to have read them. Start the series with that one, and you'll be fine.

I agree. TOO MANY BOOK CHOICES!

Kay said...

Sometimes I wait to read book until the group meeting. Sometimes I have already read the book. We are reading Karin Slaughter this next month and her books are pretty graphic. I told members that and said that they might not appeal to everyone, but that I really liked TRIPTYCH. And...I have found that disagreement is the spice of book groups. :-)

Lesa said...

My husband, Jim, is actually reading Karin Slaughter. He went out of his comfort zone because he usually won't read female authors. He really likes her.

It will be interesting to see what your group says about Slaughter.

Windlegend said...

Have you read Rowena Cherry's latest novel, Lesa? Knight's Fork is a terrific novel. I enjoyed every page.

Lesa said...

I haven't read Rowena Cherry's latest yet. Thanks for the note about Knight's Fork!

Deborah Macgillivray said...

I have to agree on Knight's Fork. It's a great read, but then all of Cherry's books are.

I highly recommend this one.

Lesa said...

Thanks for the recommendation, Deborah!

Jacquie Rogers said...

Holy smoke, is everyone reading Knight's Fork? I have an ARC and I have to say this is a really good book so far. Then again, I can't resist Rowena's quirky humor. :)

Zoe Sharp said...

Hi Lesa

Thank you so much for recommending Charlie to your readers.

Yes, Caryn, there were earlier books, set in the UK and Europe, but I've always tried to make them standalones in the sense that you don't need to read them in order.

I hope if your reading group does give FIRST DROP a whirl, Kay, that they enjoy it. Please contact me if you have comments or questions. You can always reach me through my website - www.ZoeSharp.com.

Lesa said...

Yes, Jacquie,

Looks like everyone is reading Knight's Fork. I better dig it out of the closet soon.

Lesa said...

Of course, I'd recoomend Charlie to my readers, Zoe. The book is on the top of my pile for October. If September didn't have so many books, I'd be reading it now.

Good luck with it in the States!

Sean Chercover said...

Lesa,

Thanks so much for the mention - I hope you enjoy Trigger City.

Allow me to also put my vote in for Zoe Sharp and her Charlie Fox series. Great stuff, and I can't wait for Third Strke!

Best,
Sean

Lesa said...

I'm looking forward to Trigger City, Sean. And, I'm also looking forward to Third Strike. You're right. I'm a big fan of Zoe and Charlie.