Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Laura Morrigan, Guest Blogger

When I reviewed Laura Morrigan's debut mystery I said, "People who think Berkley Prime Crime mysteries are fluff need to be steered to Laura Morrigan's debut mystery, Woof at the Door. Morrigan's first Call of the Wilde novel is a must-read for animal lovers and anyone looking for a new series." I liked it so much, I asked Laura to do a guest blog.


Laura Morrigan is a Florida Native whose work at a local zoo, helping out with everything from “waste management” to teaching an elephant how to paint, served as inspiration for her Call of the Wilde Mysteries. She still lives in Florida and is working on the third book in the series.

Thank you, Laura. I love your topic!

Five reasons mystery writers should not go out in public unattended.    

Reason number one:

We apply a little too much of our vivid imaginations to people-watching.
I can't tell you how many times I've looked at someone and thought "Yep-they have bodies buried in their backyard and someone chained in their basement."

Reason number two:

We see random objects as potential murder weapons.
"Congratulations on your award, Joe. Wow, this thing is heavy! You could totally kill someone with it." (I said this once at an awards dinner with my husband's colleagues. Yes, really.)

Reason number three:

No one is safe. If you're a cop, a doctor, a lawyer or your profession has anything to do with our current work-in-progress (or any possible future WIP, for that matter) we will grill you relentlessly until you never want to see us again.

Reason number four:

We know way too much about murder and mayhem and are happy to share if you ask - and sometimes even if you don't.
"You went to the garden center to pick up seeds for your garden? Did you know one of the most deadly poisons in the world comes from the castor bean? Yep - grind one of those suckers up and put it in the coffee - you could off this whole room."

Reason number five:

We scare people. Especially when brainstorming plot points while on the phone with other writers. Say...while standing in line at the grocery store.
"That wouldn't work - there'd be a blood trail."
Nice grandma glances at me, then quickly away.
"Besides, the cops aren't stupid. There has to be a better place to hide the body."

See what I mean? It's best if we at least have a chaperone.

*****
Loved it, Laura. I do understand why you shouldn't be allowed to go out in public by yourself.

Laura Morrigan's website is www.lauramorrigan.com.

Woof at the Door by Laura Morrigan. Berkley Prime Crime. 2013. ISBN 9780425257197 (paperback), 295p.





9 comments:

SandyG265 said...

I enjoyed Woof at the Door.

Lesa said...

I did too, Sandy, and it's nice to know she's working on the third in the series.

Laura Morrigan said...

Thanks for having me, Lesa.
And, Sandy, I'm so glad you liked Woof!

Stacey Joy Netzel said...

I haven't gotten the chance to read the book yet, but I loved this post! Too funny about the comment at your husband's award dinner. LOL

Laura Morrigan said...

I just posted a photo of the award on my Call of the Wilde Mystery fb page. The thing's lethal.

Libby Dodd said...

This sounds like great fun. I volunteer to go with you out in public any time!

Karen C said...

Gosh, I do some of that stuff when I'm people watching and I'm not a writer!! Loved it.

Lesa said...

Wasn't it fun, Libby and Karen? I enjoyed Laura's guest post.

water features uk said...

It was an absolute pleasure reading this post!! Well done!