Monday, August 26, 2013

Cassandra King, Guest Blogger

Acclaimed author Cassandra King's new novel is Moonrise, available from Maiden Lane Press. Cassandra shares
a few words about the inspiration behind Moonrise --- and how it involves a 75-year-old classic.






While wandering through the overgrown flower gardens behind the summer house we had rented in the Blue Ridge Mountains, I stumbled upon a circle of stones marking the final resting place of the previous owner, the woman who had created the wildly beautiful, now sadly neglected gardens.

By chance I had brought one of my favorite books with me, Daphne du Maurier’s Rebecca. At night, I found myself searching for the previous owner in the shadows of dark corridors. In that secret place writers go to weave our stories, I became the woman who had entered another woman’s house, her gardens and her life, which I later learned had ended too young--and tragically. Like the narrator of Rebecca, I couldn’t shake the feeling that I didn’t belong there. And thus the idea for Moonrise was born.

About Moonrise

MOONRISE is a novel of dark secrets and second chances, New York Times’ bestselling author Cassandra King’s homage to the gothic classic Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier.

When Helen Honeycutt falls in love with a man who has recently lost his wife in a tragic accident, their sudden marriage creates a rift between her new husband and his friends, who resent her intrusion into their close circle. When the newlyweds join them for a summer at Moonrise, his late wife’s family home in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains, it soon becomes clear that someone is trying to drive her away, in King’s literary ho
mage to Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier.

About the Author: 

CASSANDRA KING is the bestselling author of four previous novels, Making WavesThe Sunday WifeThe Same Sweet Girls and Queen of Broken Hearts, as well as numerous short stories, essays and articles. Moonrise, her fifth novel, is set in Highlands, North Carolina. A native of Lower Alabama, Cassandra resides in Beaufort, South Carolina, with her husband, Pat Conroy.

*****
I'm eager to read Cassandra King's Moonrise.  If you're a fan of gothic novels, you have a chance to win a copy. The publicist is providing two copies of the book this week for a giveaway. Email me at Lesa.Holstine@gmail.com. Your subject heading should read, "Win Moonrise". Please include your name and mailing address. Entries from the U.S. only, please. The contest will end Friday, Aug. 30 at 6 PM CT. Good luck!


8 comments:

Kay said...

Cassandra King is one of my favorite authors. I've been a fan ever since reading The Sunday Wife right after it was released. I would read the phone book if she wrote it! My email will be arriving shortly.

Lesa said...

What an interesting phone book that would be, Kay! Good luck!

Kaye Barley said...

OH! This sounds divine!!!!

Lesa said...

Doesn't it, Kaye? I have a copy, and I'm looking forward to reading it. I just need to catch up, since I read a total of 50 pages while on vacation.

Anonymous said...

Sounds fascinating! I'll be sending an e-mail shortly as well!

I've been introduced to a lot of great novels by reading your blog & blog interviews, Lesa. Thanks for that and for the fun chance to win great books!

--Brenda

Jane R said...

Du Maurier's Rebecca is one of my very favorite books. I read it the first time while still in high school. Since then I've given several copies to friends and family who love it as much as I do. I'm looking forward to reading this book by King. Thanks for the information!

Lesa said...

Thank you, so much, Brenda. I loved that you said you've been introduced to a lot of great novels via my blog. Thank you!

Lesa said...

You're welcome, Jane. I hope you enjoy it when you get a chance to read it!